lil problem with A1

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

Harrie
Commander
Commander

lil problem with A1

Post by Harrie »

Anyone had it were the sounds run too fast? like it says "Cons... ...plete" istead of "Construction complete" or the music skips.
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.
Romulan_Fury
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Romulan_Fury »

This is most likely a problem with your sound card acceleration. I had the same problem the first time I ran Armada 1 on an XP machine. Go to the Control Panel under the Start Menu. Go into Sounds and Audio Devices. Under the Volume tab, look at the bottom box labeled Speaker Settings. Click on the Advanced button. In the new window that comes up select the Performance tab, then slide the Hardware Acceleration slider until it's the second one from the far left. This should solve the problem. What this does is reduce the level of acceleration your sound card performs, thereby reducing the sound quality. In reality, unless you have a really good card, or some very high quality sound files, you won't notice much of a difference (at least I don't, and I leave it like this all the time). Hope this helps.
´Tis more brave to live, than to die.
Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie »

ok that problem is solved, thank you. now on to the next one, when i move the cursor over a button or a ship any ship that is moving screen pauses for a second, and the scroll is jittery too.

You know in all truth this shouldn't be happening at all. The computer plays A2 just fine, perfectly even. Which would be alright if i liked it more.

P.S. Romulan_Fury, did you know that if you google Jolan Trueand look for pictures you get only one trek picture and then a couple of Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley? wierd huh.

P.P.S. Anymore ideas. the one for the sound only worked for about 5 seconds the damn thing reset itself. this new computer is turning out to be more trouble than its worth.

P.P.P.S And wouldn't you guess it runs the same in safemode, only worse.
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.
Romulan_Fury
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Romulan_Fury »

When you say it 'resets' itself, do you mean the computer changes the acceleration settings back to normal? Or is it doing something else? Concerning the visual problems: I would suggest turning down the video acceleration. Get to the Display Properties window by right clicking on your desktop and clicking on Properties. Go to the Settings tab and click on the Advanced button. Select the Troubleshoot tab, and drag the slider down a few clicks. I'm not sure how many to use because I have never had to do this for my machine, so you'll have to experiment. Don't drag it too far down though, othewise Armada probably won't work at all. You should also try playing around with the ingame graphics settings, like trying out different resolutions and color depths. Lower resoultions use less memory.

Interesting side note: Armada II was designed with XP machines in mind, so they don't have as many compatability issues. I too have played A2 on my machine, and it worked very smoothly (it was such a crappy game though, so I deleted it; I don't like garbage on my machine ;) ). You might want to try (although this is a long shot) running A1 in Win 98 compatability mode. I've never tried this so I don't know if it has any affect, but anything's worth a shot when it comes to playing Armada, no?

Let me know how it turns out.

P.S. What brand of computer is it? What are some of the stats/specs?
Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie »

Yes, it as soon as i close the game it goes back to full acceleration. I'm trying something else first but if it doesn't work i'll try your other suggestion.

lets see its

EMACHINES
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+ 2.4GHz
894MB RAM

ATI RADEON Xpress 200 Series
128.0 MB

Realtek AC97 Audio

oh ya and XP of course
Romulan_Fury
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Romulan_Fury »

Sounds like not too bad of a system. The only thing is that it's an Emachine. Not that I have anything against their um - fine - products... It's just that I haven't heard too many good things. Maybe your machine is just too darn fast for A1 to handle.

Anyway, what else are you trying? I'm interested in knowing so that if i ever run into problems with A1 or anything else in the future, i can have another fall back.
Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie »

I'm going straight to the head. I've contacted Customer support. though i doubt they will be of much help, they think to inside the box. like with this one game i have, it won't run after i installed the patch and SP2. the guy i talked too couldn't figure out that i thought SP2 was the cause. oh well.

This computer is becoming more of a problem than anything else. My mom has been fighting with it to get it the way she wants it.
KaBoom1701
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by KaBoom1701 »

Turn down the sound acceleration like her suggested ti fix your sound.

Turn off and graphic video card settings. ON my GeForce 6800GT I have to turn off ant AF and AT settings as the A1 engine doesn't like them.

KaBoom out.
Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie »

ok but how, the sound one works but it's not practical. i would have to do it every time i play.

I don't know how to do the other thing
Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie »

just now i got a repsonse of
Response (Nick Bee) - 11/12/2005 01:49 PM
Hi,

Unfortunately we cannot provide assistance with this game in WinXP. Your
computer hardware is likely too fast for this old game which is why the sounds are playing too fast.
Great lot of help they were. :evil:

OK, anyone else got an idea, or can tell me how to do what KaBoom Suggested.