Star Trek Lives!

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Star Trek Lives!

Post by odyssey » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:27 am

Don't know if everyone is aware of this , but Variety has reported that Paramount has given the green light for a new Star Trek movie set for release in 2008. It will be helmed by JJ Abrams, the creator of the TV shows LOST and ALIAS. The premise is reportly set during the early days of Kirk and Spock at Starfleet Academy.

Even better news is that Berman and Braga will not be associated with this new incarnation of Trek. :D

This premise was first propose 16 years ago for the movie franchise, but was shot down by the outcry by fans and the cast. I had agree with them then, but at this point, I'm willing to take whatever they can give us. Though 2008 might be a bit too soon for a Trek resurgence after the debacle of ENTERPRISE and NEMESIS. It's also questionable whether a new movie with unknowns recasting Kirk and Spock will ever be unacceptable or profitable coupled with the steady decline of the movie franchise during the last few outings. Right now, I'm open to anything. New and unknown Trek is better than no Trek at all I suppose.

Bruce
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Bruce » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:14 am

They should've made the Star Trek XI from Enterprise. At least then you got a good idea on how every thing really started. Besides Kirk and Spock are great but being back at the academy come on then you should really start at the Ent era with Archer, T'Pol, Malcom, and the rest of the gang. At least then people will get an understanding of Star Trek and how it began.

KevinJ
Ensign
Ensign
Location: AMERICA!! State: Insane !!!!!!!!! Age: As long as ive been alive

Post by KevinJ » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:58 am

i didnt think kirk and spock went to the academy at same time .

who wuld you guys think culd be a good young kirk and spock ?
Space The Finale Frontier...It will take you a million light years from home...in a Galaxy far far away...in search of a home called earth.
(Sci Fi Armada)

Bruce
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Bruce » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:41 pm

No one thats for sure the roles they played in before they were cadets were great but i would like to see how Kirk got passed the Kobayashimaru. I belive since that was said in the Genesis Cave that could be part of the movie and how he meet his wife you know.

jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:27 pm

Bruce Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:41 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No one thats for sure the roles they played in before they were cadets were great but i would like to see how Kirk got passed the Kobayashimaru. I belive since that was said in the Genesis Cave that could be part of the movie and how he meet his wife you know.
He cheated. He re-worked the programme so it was possible for him to win. Whilst he failed the task, he was given recognition for his innovative thinking (I beleive that is what they said).
Engage!

"A2 Files Site Admin...darn proud of it too!"

CptBenSisko
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CptBenSisko » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:32 am

Kirk reprogrammed the simulation so that it was possible to rescue the Kobayashi Maru. He beat the infamous "No-Win Scenario" He got a commendation for "original thinking" because he didn't like to lose. And Dr. Marcus wasn't Kirk's wife...just the mother of his child....she is probably the "cute blonde lab technician" that Gary Mitchell introduces Kirk to in the Star Trek Encyclopedia. But i think it would be interesting...I also think that if they are going to do this...they need to do it right...like Shatner and Nimoy have to be consulted about how they feel their characters would act when they are children....Kirk would be the mischevious type...always checking out the girls...the typical ladies man that he was in the series... Spock would have to go through some of the problems of being a teenager and being half human/half vulcan...would he be an outcast among his own people..would he be an outcast among humans...see how Sarek opposed Spock's descision to join Starfleet...another problem would be that they would need a new actor to play Sarek as sadly Mark Leonard passed away some years ago. We shall see what happens.
Captain Benjamin Sisko of the U.S.S. Defiant

KevinJ
Ensign
Ensign

Post by KevinJ » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:47 am

mark lenerd was a great man in star trek he played the first romulan
Space The Finale Frontier...It will take you a million light years from home...in a Galaxy far far away...in search of a home called earth.
(Sci Fi Armada)

Numbazix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Film

Post by Numbazix » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:23 am

Rumor
Last I heard Stewart was cast to star. If so that would negate earlier plotlines that have been discussed--possibly(?). And yes, I know what it says about ST9 in the link. My info [ or mis-info ] was garnered from TV.
Zix
Master of all I survey--wheres my glasses?

KevinJ
Ensign
Ensign

Post by KevinJ » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:29 am

Stewart to play young kirk ? he cant play any other than picard ... how old was kirk and spock when the ywere in the acadamy?
(Sci Fi Armada)

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:50 am

There are not any validity to any rumors about casting or anything else other than the premise of the proposed movie. I certainly will also doubt mainstream audiences would want to watch a post ENT movie when barely even Trek fans was watching or even care about ENT. The general feelings among most fans about this era is apathy and indifference. There was no sense of excitment or energy about the characters and situations that populated this place in the Trek timeline. The fault pretty much lies at the feet of the producers and writers who bungled this big time.

Learning from the mistakes of NEMESIS.. with production cost of over 100 mil and domestic return of 43 mil ,more likely then not, they plan to cast relatively unknowns for the leading parts to keep the cost down.. seeming that this is a gamble the studio is taking if this movie flops, the loss would be mininum.

A mistake they should avoid is to hiring actors to do imitations of Kirk And Spock. They should stick with what is already known about them and avoid the sometimes hilarious mannerisms of the original actors like Shatner... stud.. er..ing... his... lines.:) A good example to follow are the James Bond films. Each actor brings to it their takes and quirks about the character while retaining the central core of the character.

While most Trek fans would rather see the return of the original cast for another go at it.. seemingly impossible now with age and death issues with the cast... this would be the last best hope for renew interest in Trek not only to fans , but also to a younger and wider audience.

KevinJ
Ensign
Ensign

Post by KevinJ » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:09 am

they shuld do a movie around ds9 the dominion war part anyways or somthing about voyager or enterprise b or c or maybe even enterprise f
(Sci Fi Armada)

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:39 am

Even though DS9 is critically acclaimed the best of the Trek series and also a personal favorite of mine, ratings were never big for it when it was still airing . DS9 fans would love to see one, but would other trekkers as well as other audiences be as inclined to do the same? Highly doubtful. It makes sense for a Kirk and Spock movie, since the TOS are such a cultural icon and widely recognize worldwide, people already know characters and makes it easier to sell. What may not be is the recasting of the original roles. For any more future for Trek, let's hope so.

Personally, I would love to see a movie based upon the fps ELITE FORCE series. A elite group of troubleshooters travelling busting chops with phaser rifles set to FRAG! LOL:D

KevinJ
Ensign
Ensign

Post by KevinJ » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:04 am

well we no almost nothing about the enterprise b and c we see the ent b in generations but not much of it... and ent c in that 1 episode of tng we no the captains and the ship but not musch else soo theres alto that culd be done with those like there culd be more encounters with the gorn orion the first cardasion encounters...
(Sci Fi Armada)

kips
Ensign
Ensign

Post by kips » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:59 am

What would be good to avoid recasting is use CGI then all we need is William Shatner and Lenard Nimoy to lend their voices a little vocal editing to clean up the aged voices buisness.

And that would be a good offering to the series (new methods for new times).
life is life and death well thats a pain in the neck.

Fighting member of the Four Star Alliance.
It has begun...

Majestic
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Majestic » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:57 pm

I believe this idea is a really bad move. They should be moving forward not back. If they really do decide to move back, have some new characters from that era that were never seen in TOS or any other Trek.

Enterprise (Some loved it and others hate it) caused a lot of fans to go and this new movie will kill Trek off in my opinion. :roll: