Armada 1 Movies

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

Matress_of_evil
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Armada 1 Movies

Post by Matress_of_evil »

Hi, i'm usually found more on the BOTF forums rather than the Armada forums, but I have a problem so thought this would be the best place to post.

I recently reinstalled Armada 1 on my computer, and the game is running fine - except for the single player videos. They are running slow. Verrry slow.

As an example, on the very first mission, (Federation - Premonitions) the music intros, (No problems with the sound) and I can see the brown/orange Planet - but it takes about 30 seonds for it to fade in fully. 10-20 seconds later, the blue "Premonitions" title appears. It then seems to freeze. (or go even more slowly, I haven't had the patience to wait)

If I press the space bar, the movie closes and it goes into the game, but it still goes really slowly as the camera zooms away from the Enterprise onto the map.

The music and sound effects play perfectly fine throughout the whole of this - it is simply the video that is performing slowly. I have installed Armada on this computer many times before and have never had a problem like it.

I was wondering if it could possibly be a codec issue - before I installed Armada, I installed the ACE Mega Codecs Pack from Free-codecs.com. I am loathe to use any other codec packs because this is the only pack that I have found that has the codecs that I need to play the movies in Birth of the Federation.

It may be that the problem is something unrelated to codecs, I honestly don't know. Any ideas that people have would be a help though. :)
"Anyone without a sense of humour is truly at the mercy of the rest of us."
cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 »

go to Run-dxdiag-sound1/2-full acceleration-turn it down to basic acceleration try this?
Matress_of_evil
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Hi, thanks for your help, but I'm afraid this does not work - if anything the video is even slower. I tried setting just Sound 1 to basic, then just Sound 2 to basic, then both to basic...no improvement on any setting. In fact, when I set sound 2 to basic, the sound stuttered really badly. :(

One thing I forgot to mention is that the startup video for the game - the one that starts off with the Activision logo being blown up the Enterprise's Quantums - run perfectly fine. It is ONLY the in-game movies that I am having trouble with.

Could the problem possibly be related to Quicktime? Quicktime is broke on my computer, and I cannot seem to fix it. If I open any webpages that use Quicktime to play sounds or videos, I am told the plugin is present, but failed to initialise. It also won't load if I try to get it to work manually. It appears in the processes tab on the Windows task manager, but then disappears.

If I try uninstalling it, I am told that "a fatal error has occured" and it quits, and if I try updating Quicktime, it apparently installs fine - but the problem is still there... :?
Matress_of_evil
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Ok, I have sorted out Quicktime, but the problem is still there - Armada's movies still run sloooow. :(

Does anyone have any other ideas as to what could be causing this problem? Thanks for your help. :)