Bah! Nanites!

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Bah! Nanites!

Post by Twitch » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:47 pm

Since I have been away from A2 for like 4 years I forgot how to turn off the in-game grid lines. Anybody know the keystrokes?
The Borg will rock your world!

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:41 pm

Grid toggle: 'g'

;)

edit: actually, this may be different in A2. Try alt+g and ctrl+g.

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:15 pm

Thanks Mr. Vulcan. Having a time trying to get and avatar to work also. :(

In general has anyone gotten large maps to work? My old PC would crash if i tried over 50,000 X 50,000 maps. Thought now with a 2008 rig I could run massive maps 100,000 or more but it still craps out above 53,000.
The Borg will rock your world!

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:40 pm

Not too sure about the map size. Never experimented with that. What does the logfile say when the game crashes?

As a wild guess, I'm going to assume that its an array problem. There might be a preallocated memory slot for storring the map. If the map is too large, the preallocated slot will be too small. This causes an accesss violation and a crash.

More to the point, it might be a hardcoded limit :(

In any case, I suspect the problem exists in A1 as well. It is something I (or someone else on the FT team) will definately look into eventually as FT will need very large maps :)

Then again, I'm not too sure about this. Maybe someone has already found a solution.

Logius
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Logius » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:58 pm

I've made a few larger-scale maps but never saw the need to go above the 20,000 range. Even at 11,000x11,000 and playing against four AI opponents it took quite a while for me to run into the other races. I can't imagine why you would need a 50,000+ size map unless you planned on never encountering any opponents.
Klingon: Your mother mates with toasters!
Data: How did you find out?!