Star trek

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

steviegirl
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by steviegirl » Mon May 11, 2009 2:56 am

I saw it as well,and @38 yrs old,next too wrath of khan,it was most excellent!I can hardly wait to get the weapon sprites and ships for my mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!:
"He´s dead Jim,you get the tri-corder,I´ll get his wallet."

Angilas
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Angilas » Mon May 11, 2009 4:05 pm

I saw it twice already. Once with a girl I am interested in on the 7th with a early showing and the following day with my old man, his sister and her boyfriend, and 2 other friends of the family. Who are fans of the old series and they enjoyed the movie greatly. And neither of them had any complaints about it. Well besides the fact of what happened to Spock's mother.

The only question is, will they do a sequel or a series? Because if the series has the actors from the movie I can get into watching the series again.

But I cant wait to get this movie on DVD. Out of the 11, I have only 4 favorites. Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country, Nemesis, and Star Trek. The rest are ok borderline poop and would be poop if it werent for the space battles in them.

Now I have a question, even though I cant play Armada or Armada II til I get a new copy of the game, is anyone working on a pack that contains all the ships and stations from the movie? Because that pack would be worth downloading.

Zman
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Zman » Tue May 12, 2009 2:48 am

Now I have a question, even though I cant play Armada or Armada II til I get a new copy of the game, is anyone working on a pack that contains all the ships and stations from the movie? Because that pack would be worth downloading.
No matter if its just one ship or everything it will be the months after its on DVD so we can actually get the sounds and stuff.
The only question is, will they do a sequel or a series? Because if the series has the actors from the movie I can get into watching the series again.
A second movie is guaranteed. A few weeks ago I read that if this movie does good then a second would follow, with a 3rd and 4th movies if each one before does well enough. And if they get past a 4th movie, then they would move forward with a series. And this is all with the same main cast and crew. My guess it would be like this: Trek 12(2011), Trek 13(2013), Trek 14(2015) and then the series in 2017. Though they might take a year off either between one of the movies or before they do the series.
My Games:
NR2K3(750+ tracks;5000+ cars)
ST:BC(latest KM-custom) ST:Legacy(custom)
ST:Armada(custom) ST:Armada2(custom)
ST:FO(latest version)
SW:EAW(custom) SW:FOC(custom)
TF2: Name - 086gf

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Tue May 12, 2009 10:06 am

Excellent movie and well worth the watch.

A few things. From what I can gather this is set in some alternate timeline due to the destruction of both Romulas and Vulcan (at least thats how I see it anyway) and the death of Spocks mother. it did give a very good insight into some of the spoken events from the original series/films (Kobyashimaru scenario for one).

As Zman has already stated the Kelvin has been made as well as the Enterprise itself. Several of the Federation ships actually appear (or variants of them) in ST:Legacy (four nacelled ship) but that Romulan mining ship might take somewhat longer to produce due to its complexity.

Angilas
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Angilas » Tue May 12, 2009 11:37 am

Sweet! Cause when I get a working copy of Armada II again, I plan to put the Narada against the Scimitar and see which one lasts :P :D

But I look forward to downloading any ship that is made that belongs to the new movie.

pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pepperman » Tue May 12, 2009 8:01 pm

Concur, the movie was great and worth the money.

As for a model of the Romulan ship, I suspect it will be quite challenging to make it look good while maintain a decent poly count.

shadow
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by shadow » Thu May 14, 2009 4:24 am

Trek XI…??? Star Wreck !! or better (worse ?) Star Wars in disguise. :(

Saw it , and I hate it. Honestly, I can not understand why some people love this move so much.

Don’t get me wrong, it is a nice movie, if you like nothing more than a teenage action flick with a bad plot, useless violence and a half-intelligent attempt to establish some continuity.

The whole movie doesn’t live up to the hype they generated around it.

Even worse it is so full of plagiarism, that I really got pi****. :evil:

The basic plot line of the movie is nothing more than a reuse of the original STAR WARS 1 script (now it is part 4)

Just follow this link to see what I am talking about: http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1910892

Than add a bad copy of the villain from nemesis, disguise and reuse some action scenes from triple X and some bond movies, than add some over-acting (this Russian accent –not funny , just bad) sum it up with some lucky (?) unrealistic co incidents that lead to the fact that a certain crew meets on that ship, add some elements stolen from BSG and bingo there is a film claiming to be a true Trek movie.

The only things I liked where the space station, the Kelvin, the visual and sound effects; they are great. But that’s it so far.

The new design claiming to be the Enterprise just doesn’t look right, even for an alternate time line.

Sorry folks but to me the movie is nothing more than a big mistake.
It had the chance to be better with a different plot, but hey why should some writer come up with some new ideas ? It is so easy to steal and reuse some old stuff.

You just have to hope that there isn’t someone like me sitting there and thinking.

rodglas
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by rodglas » Thu May 14, 2009 6:06 am

Star Wars? I don't see connection and I've watched Star Wars ANH probably a couple of hundred times since i was a kid.

The two guys that actually wrote the movie are hardcore trek fans, believe me they know more about trek then you do. The simple fact is that this movie is a reboot/reimagining of the original series, any atempt to establish continity with the original is really just the writters and director tossing the fans a bone. It tells us all that other stuff happened, just in an other timeline.

The violence didn't seem useless to me but seemed to serve the plot

Several of the actors nailed the characters completely, like Karl Urban as Bones.

I agree it wasn't as good as the Hype, most movies aren't.

Where was the plagiarism?

There are always going to be similarities between movies like this but there are also hundreds of places where the similarities break down. Rememember the SWs itself draws from all kinds of dramatic tropes that get used over and over again in "theatre." Its hard to do anything that looks totally original ina any movies, even harder in Scifi.

Rod

Angilas
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Angilas » Thu May 14, 2009 3:58 pm

Well I have all but one message from last weeks SNL, when the new Kirk and Spock and Leonard Nimoy appeared on it. Mr. Nimoy said "Those who dont see the movie and or like it are D***heads." If you dont believe me wait for it to repeat with Justin Timberlake hosting it. So for those who don't like the movie I guess you fall into that catagory according to the original spock.

And Shadow, "Bad copy of the villian from Nemesis" ? What the Frak? I like Nemesis. It is one of my now top 4 films of the star trek franchise. But to compair Nero to Shinzon, are you high? Shinzon's sole purpose was to rule the Romulan Empire and to cripple the Federation beyond belief. Nero was trying to save Romulas from its inevitable future.

And this talk of plagerism, plagerism, plagerism. What plagerism? Enlighten us with your theories. I am not much of a Trekkie or Treker, whatever the frak they are called, but in my opinion, everything was more accurate to the original series then the original series itself. Of course they had to change things due to the timeline being messed up but that is to be expected. Besides do you not remember days before the movie was released previews stating "This is not your father's Star Trek." This is an attempt to restart everything like Batman Begins did. So come off your holyier than thou horse towards the movie.

Its meant for those who aren't Star Trek fans or know nothing about the movies, or series.

*Edit*
One last thing. When I first found out they were making an 11th film, I will admit that I said " Why in Gods name would they want to?" and said I wouldn't see it. I have seen it twice already. A sneak preview on the 7th and another viewing with my father, aunt, and her boyfriend who are fans of the original series. But you want to know what sealed me into seeing the preview? The ship design. After seeing that the saucer looked almost like NCC-1701-Alpha I predicted that it would be a hybrid of both TOS and TMP Enterprises and had to see it. Then I learned more and got hooked into seeing it.

For frak sakes, my date to the 9:50 showing on the 7th said she liked the movie and the only Star Trek she really watched was that piece of garbage, in my own opinion, Voyager.

USS_Oblivion
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Oblivion » Sun May 17, 2009 9:48 pm

you know, bones eyes are blue in tos, and brown in the new movie, other than that, i really liked the movie

trekmanalpha
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

The Techno-trekkie speaks...

Post by trekmanalpha » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:46 am

I will say a few things. First, the movie was AWESOME, and second, the flaws as such that are pointed out are negligible within the fact the Abrams did the unthinkable, and gave Trek new life.
The Flaws....
The Enterprise is TOO BIG, see the scaling problems in the DITL.org Articles section if you wish, and Ohura goes after Spock, Orion females were and never are in Starfleet, and the Enterprise was not constructed on the surface in Idaho, but in the San-Fran yards. Those are the baseline Massive mistakes. I love the new warp effect, tho it is similar to BSGs FTL Jump.
The trip from Earth orbit to Vulcan at TOS warp scale of factor 4, would take 3 weeks, not 1-2 hours. That is the most annoying thing for me to see, above and beyond all else.

The AWESOMENESS!!!
**The Phasers are not just points of light on the hull! they actually rotate, and move, and protrude from the hull to do so.
*** The Torpedo Countermeasures! (the blue fire near the phaser banks, seen firing in pulses.) This would be a realistic use of old tech (looking at it from the timeline perspective) as Plasma Pulse weaponry is outdated. But, it can be used to destroy incoming weaponry. Great idea.
** I believe that in the light of the fact that in the '70s, Roddenberry used the most up to date tech he could think of to create the Bridge, engine room, and other sets. It is only Fitting that Abrams do the same. I loved the new Bridge look, with the touch panels everywhere (seeing as we have that in nearly every day life now, showing a future where they don't exist would be RETARDED!) Good job again!
**** Warp Core Section Ejection!!! Great background work done, as this is EXACTLY what the TOS Tech Manual states would happen should the core need to be removed quickly. GREAT RESEARCH!
** BONES DID AWESOME, and he was BONES! PERFECT!!!!
****** the best for last. THE TIMELINE IS NOT REPAIRED, CORRECTED, OR EXPLAINED IN ANY OTHER WAY BUT THAT IT IS AN ALTERNATE TIMELINE CAUSED BY NERO AND SPOCK'S ACTIONS!!!! AWESOME!!!

Whatever you may think, Abrams did the unimaginable when he did this film. Yes there are flaws, but look at TOS! everything was messed up there, compared to TNG or even the TOS Movies, because of the lack in environmental Technology. Today we have to use what we have, and to do less, would be ludicrous. And even though it is new, and not using the and tech, or the old cast, seeing this gives me hope for my kids, to grow up knowing the possibilities that Star Trek brings to the imagination, the lessons of truth it puts into their minds, and the Love to search out new things in life that Trek inspires. We need this as much as I needed this 20 years ago. I am 24, and grew up on Trek. It is part of who I am, and I am glad to speak praise to this new Film, through out its many errors. Its all about possibilities.

Captain_Bruce
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Captain_Bruce » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:54 am

Well I would like to go ahead and give my first reactions to the new star trek. As I had expected this movie is an alternate reality, which means it is a divergent timeline from the original. Fair enough, but it still baffles me why the Enterprise was redesigned for an alternate reality that diverges from the normal timeline 20ish years before the Enterprise launched. There was no temporal event that should have changed how starship design would have been, except if the captain of the Kelvin or Kirk's father designed the enterprise. I'll let that one go for now because the new ship is pretty. My question is why the artists decided the new ships needed glowing lights on the back of the nacelles, they look like exhaust, but that makes zero sense because a warp ship moves by bending space, not by blue thrusters on the back of the nacelles. I mean they already have a means of propulsion via the big red glowing impulse drive behind the saucer. The aesthetics bother me, but not as much as the plot with holes big enough to fly the Enterprise through. Let's start with the obvious, the Romulan miner is huge, and they have a mining drill able to drill to the core of a planet, yet this massive device is destroyed by firing plasma rifles at a seemingly unimportant external area. I could see if they got inside it and used the rifle to overload the control console, but no sir it's Abram's work now so we just blast shoot and hope for the best. Furthermore, why the hell doesn't the mining ship have a spare drill? Oh that's right it doesn't have to make sense because we're busy watching spock warp off with the red matter. Now I'm ok with red matter because it theoretically exists, but using it to create a black hole to destroy the enemy ship does not take in the gravity of creating a stellar body that can destroy entire solar systems.(that's a pun, black hole, gravity, ah freck it I tried.) Nor do we fully reflect on the consequences of creating an alternate reality or the suffering it may cause for others. As for transwarp beaming, well that's bullshit I won't even talk about it's so ridiculous. Also we have seriousluy cheapened the scene where Kirk beats the Kobyashimaru, he is eating an apple like an annoying tard, instead of building a dramatic scene, and why in the alternate timeline is he punished instead of accomodated for original thinking like the he was in the old timeline. Lastly, lets talk about character development, Uhuru was destroyed, yes she was originally a strong feminist symbol, she didn't need a man and she bridged the race divide with her kiss in TOS. Now she is fawning over spock because his planet got destroyed, I mean really? So aside from Uhuru becoming a Gilmore Girl, we have a stoner flying the ship I just can't get over the fact that Harold is Sulu! "YEAH, we'll take three orders of Orion Rings, five Gorak burgers, and Pakled soda, put it on Starfleet's tab." Also why the hell are the Romulans tattoed skinheads? And why is Spock so emotional? Odd in comparison to his alternate self. I feel like I did when I watched Star Wars episode I, it was good, but what came after would break star wars forever. I feel JJ Abrams has broken the dream of the future, of people who are deep and cultured who quote Shakespeare and Moby Dick, and replaced it with Budweiser drinking assholes who might as well be quoting John Madden.
With the dreamer dies the dream, with the dream dies the dreamer.

rodglas
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by rodglas » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:22 am

This Enterprise is built later then the Prime Universe E. That accounts for some of the design differeance. Also there is some notion that the Kelvins sensor logs on the Narada (Nero's Ship) and the very existance of such a such a ship helped push trek tech forward more rapidly (much like the borg would do for the prime universe in TNG).

The Original original Enterprise from the pilot had something that looked like an exhust system on the nacells too, and one can argue that the balls on the back of the TOS Enterprise fill the same kind of purpose. TNG nacelles glow along the sides, its some kind of plasma stream IIRC perhaps the JJ-prise glow is related.

I think its been said (not in the movie) that the black holes created were ring or Kerr black holes the Naruada would then have been trapped within the event horizon not the actual black hole itself despite being surrounded by it.

more later...

Rod

steviegirl
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by steviegirl » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:08 am

Food for thought Rod,food for thought!
"He´s dead Jim,you get the tri-corder,I´ll get his wallet."

Zered003
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Zered003 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:43 pm

I like the movie. While it is a prequel. It does come after all the other Trek movies and shows. They changed history so much in them all that it is no surprise that everything looks different.
I enjoy the moments of peace and quite.
You know, when you dont think about anything.
I enjoy all 3 seconds of the day when that happens.