What't your idea of a challenge?

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

What't your idea of a challenge?

Post by pepperman » Sun May 24, 2009 1:18 pm

Every once and a while it’s fun to just go back to an unmodified version of Star Trek Armada and play a few rounds of instant action. When I feel like a challenge, I typically go for an eight player map, specifically tic-tac-toe, so it is me against seven computer controlled opponents. I typically go with a setup something like this: 2 Borg; 2 Federation; 2 Klingon and 1 Romulan with all seven opponents being on the same team and all being set to the hard AI level.

So what is your idea of a challenge using a stock, unmodified version of Star Trek Armada?

pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pepperman » Sun May 24, 2009 10:20 pm

hehe I found that the key to surviving this one is to rapidly build as many pulse turrets as you can around the wormhole. Of course, you must also to research a tach detector so that you can pick up on the cloaked ships coming through the wormhole. This one requires balance and timing but I can tell you that it took me many hours to finally beat all the bad guys.

I think when i was finally done, I had placed three rings of pulse turrets around the wormhole...with another ring out a little ways to account for the federation time distortion thingy. It is a blast to play though.

Straxus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Straxus » Sun May 24, 2009 11:54 pm

Now that I finally got a new computer I have reinstalled Armada and been doing the instant action battles again as well.
Kinda forgot how stupid the AI is always getting stuck in asteroid belts...LOL
Today's People are Tomorrows Fossil Fuels - Dion Williams

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:38 am

I do some of those derelict ship maps once in a while, the ones where some enemy AIs are on my side of the map and the rest are on the other side. So the strategy involves trying to fend off the AIs on my side whilst guarding a wormhole to the other side. The AI's are so dumb that they'll not usually pick up any derelict ships in the center, so that's extra stuff for me to pick up, take back to the shipyards, recrew, repair, and be back on my way.

Armada I is harder to win than Armada II. Armada II barely provides a challenge. You build up your base, defend against some unimpressive attacks, and once you got pretty much every ship class you could possibly build, the enemy AIs begin to give up one by one, and you just win by default. Armada I has a more challenging system, and this is the reason that so many gaming clans would play 10,000 games of Armada I before they played one of Armada II. Armada II, with certain mods, can be pretty prolific as well though, but usually the AI is just unbelievably easy to trick into surrendering, even if you don't try to put them in a position to surrender...

Straxus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Straxus » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:39 pm

I still need to try A2 on the new computer. My guess is it will have the same hickups and glitches it had on ANY of my previous computers that led me to give up on it.
(mainly where in middle of a battle the game REFUSES to let me highlight any of my units until seconds before they become flaming wreckage.)

I do like 8 player maps in A1. It is definitely a challenge with attacks coming from all directions.
Today's People are Tomorrows Fossil Fuels - Dion Williams