Just a Question

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Roji8
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Just a Question

Post by Roji8 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:57 am

I used to come here as a lurker. I do have a question though, why was Elrond's IP banned?

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:37 am

I never realised it was but I am curious so I'll counter your question with one of my own. Why are you asking so specific a question??

Roji8
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Roji8 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:08 am

Elrond said this:
If possible, I'd like to be able to contact one of the staff there personally. I want it to be known that I have nothing against them. I know that this must be a previously-existing error on their end.

Yeah, that was sent the same day as your post, I was just busy and couldn't relay it.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:14 am

Apologies in advance for necroposting (if anyone knows not what that means, Google is the only word you need to know). I have some updates pertaining to this situation. Five months ago, I had told a few random people, all friends, about what had happened involving the ban I had on my IP. It produced a 403 Permissions Error, which usually means that you have either come across a restricted page, OR you have been blocked from it via .htaccess or the server settings themselves. So it seems Roji decided to take this to the general forum.

The situation is resolved, to some extent. Somewhere along the lines, an IP that routes to my IP is apparently blocked from this site. There aren't many things that can be done about that, other than using the process of elimination and just taking out banned IPs and seeing if you can find the right one. I don't suggest that. After having banned many spammers on other websites myself, I know how tedious it can be to go through every one of them.

I can get on this site, provided that I am away from home. At home, I have a static IP (for those who don't know, that means the IP address I have at home persists). At the moment I'm with my wife on vacation (Yellowstone, Grand Tetons in Wyoming, Badlands, Mount Rushmore, etc in South Dakota, and now Wisconsin), and getting on a connection other than the one at home is something I hadn't tried until a few days ago.

There has been a lot of comment spam coming through in some of the news area, and thus a lot of bans no doubt had to be made. I had a lot of spam going through on my website, so I put in more security and got false positives here and there. When all was said and done, Majestic (among others) couldn't get to that site any longer. That site is now defunct; the point being is that, in the effort to block spammers, sometimes you can end up blocking more than spammers.
Dead

fuller
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Well.......

Post by fuller » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:40 am

bit wierd