Star Trek Armada 1

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

azlikeme
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Star Trek Armada 1

Post by azlikeme » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:48 am

So I have been trying to play armada with a friend of mine on my home LAN with no luck. I've tried gameranger and the in-game LAN. We can't see each others game no matter what we use. I have installed the game on two of my computers which run on XP. I also used to play the game online when WON.net was up on both of these computers. Any Ideas?

Also, I know that I can play other games between these two computers because I can play games like BOTF over LAN on them.

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:47 am

Please use the EDIT button in future as thats what its there for.

As for your A1 problem. Do you get any mismatch or is the game just not showing for one person??

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:57 am

If you're trying to play on LAN, you don't need gameranger. Just make sure that your firewall on both computers is not blocking the game.

For gameranger, you should be able to see eachother's games, but again, you need to make sure that the firewall is not blocking gameranger. The port to keep open for gameranger is 16000 UDP. Same goes if you have a router.

jcullenjr
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by jcullenjr » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:24 pm

Hi there,

I've had this problem too when trying to play Armada across my LAN in Windows 7. Regardless of which PC began hosting, the other would not be able to see the game.

We solved this eventually by making changes to the Windows firewall. We allowed the program to be totally allowed through. You may have to manually specify the location of the program (.exe file) you want to create allowances/exceptions for. This will be somewhere like C:\Program Files\Activision\Star Trek - Armada\Armada.exe unless you have set it elsewhere. Also being a Windows 7 user I had that .exe already set for compatibility mode as Windows XP SP 3.

Strangely enough even after totally allowing the programs through, it would only allow connections in one direction. Computer A would always have to be the host for example, and then Computer B would be able to see and join the game. We never got it work in reverse. The only difference is that Computer A ran Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, and Computer B ran Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Feel free to reply to discuss further. Since this is happening to you on a Windows XP network the details may be a little different, but I believe it is the same concept that's affecting you. Nice to see Armada 1 players still out there - Maybe when this is fixed we can get games going! I am a network engineer so I have a few ideas about making that old game still connect over the internet.

Thanks!

Dominus_Noctis
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Dominus_Noctis » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:11 am

There are a number of A1 players on the Tunngle network for Armada 1 :) . I am not sure how regular they are, but there are often at least 1-2 people in the lobby.

fuller
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Can you help me?

Post by fuller » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:49 am

hi, as you seem to know a lot about Armada 1 do you know about the command screnns moving? when i was trying to type in a cheat code i hit something else and now every command is under one another in the left hand top corner. :cry:

fuller
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by fuller » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:33 am

by the way, my game is fixed thanks to Mr_Vulcan.