Several questions, help and opinion would be apperciated

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

galac
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Several questions, help and opinion would be apperciated

Post by galac » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:46 am

So, i'm new on AFC, but in playing Armada too, too long :) I have several questions, before I start eventual "modding" of A1..

1. Is there any mod that makes A2 more like A1? I mean is somewhere disabled zooming in and out terrain while you playing, or are disabled things like one base is above another, or one ship is down, another one is up (for me it's really annoying, if you can understand me :D ).
2. It's often said that we can not add new race to A1, but maybe we are wrong. There's races. odf with 9 races (max), but I believe we can create new one (let's say Terrans) and replace it with e.g. Breen and create build lists. Using race replacer we can replace any of 4 races...It needs lot of working but I believe it can be done.
3. Speacial weapons are great stuff in A1/A2. Is it possible convert those from A2 to A1? If ships can be converted, why weapons converting wouldn't be possible?
4. How can I convert ships from SFC I/II/III to A1 or A2? There are plugins for Milkshape including .mod and .sod, however, it can not be done with just simple import and export. I'd like convert some Romulan and Rakelli ships...

That's all for now, if you can give some answer, please, do it...

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Re: Several questions, help and opinion would be apperciated

Post by MajorPayne » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:03 pm

1. Is there any mod that makes A2 more like A1? I mean is somewhere disabled zooming in and out terrain while you playing, or are disabled things like one base is above another, or one ship is down, another one is up (for me it's really annoying, if you can understand me :D ).
To my personal knowledge there isn't such a mod.
2. It's often said that we can not add new race to A1, but maybe we are wrong. There's races. odf with 9 races (max), but I believe we can create new one (let's say Terrans) and replace it with e.g. Breen and create build lists. Using race replacer we can replace any of 4 races...It needs lot of working but I believe it can be done.
The races ODF has nine races but only four are playable. The rest are neutral/map based sides. Thats why there are limited or non-existant ships and stations for them. It actually is possible to add a new race but the sheer amount of work involved and the problem with the AI not using the new race correctly will cause more headaches than its worth.
3. Speacial weapons are great stuff in A1/A2. Is it possible convert those from A2 to A1? If ships can be converted, why weapons converting wouldn't be possible?
Some of the special weapon you "maybe" (and I stress the word) convert to A1 but for the most part there are additional files which might not work with A1 and some of them are hard coded to the A2 main exectuable file.
4. How can I convert ships from SFC I/II/III to A1 or A2? There are plugins for Milkshape including .mod and .sod, however, it can not be done with just simple import and export. I'd like convert some Romulan and Rakelli ships...
Its not the models that are a problem. Its the texture files that can prove to be a pain. A word of warning before you try converting SFC based models. Some of the artists who make them can sometimes use up to 200 small individual textures and Armada has trouble supporting high numbers of texture files (maximum I ever used was 64 and this caused some stability issues and lag. Also because the textures are in BMP format they need to be converted to TGA format using a program such as Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop. Its also possible that the texture files may or may not loose their uvwrapped co-ordinates and if this happens then it means you will be required to re-apply them to the original model. One thing to note though. Sometimes when you load an SFC based model it may have "flipped" triangles. This is easy to fix by just flipping the "black" triangles around.

I am, however, curious as to your need to convert A1 into A2 when you have alot more options available for modding A2.[/quote]

galac
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by galac » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:00 am

Well i'd like to mod A1, i find it better than sequel with all those zooming in and out, bad graphics, etc. However, I'm curious anyone tried coverting STO ships??

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:06 am

It has been attempted but with mostly poor results.

galac
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by galac » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:21 am

damn...those ships looks amazing..i even started playing sto...not bad game...it'll take time to make those ships available for armada