Site Changes are here

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Site Changes are here

Post by thunderchero » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:03 pm

Hi Everyone,

With the help of cleverwise over the next few weeks the site will be going though some updates. :D

The forum will get a style update and the site index and downloads will be based on wordpress with a new look.

You may experience some down time towards the end of November.

More changes will continue throughout the next few months.

thunderchero

fuller
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by fuller » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:27 pm

Not that it really matters, but do we know how long the site will be down for?

thunderchero

Post by thunderchero » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:50 pm

fuller wrote:Not that it really matters, but do we know how long the site will be down for?
here is a quote from cleverwise from botf side
cleverwise wrote:The changes coming are significant and numerous. Most of the infrastructure for our community is being modified and altered.

Short of keeping PHPBB as the forum software this is a complete redo and reorganization. Raven Nuke is being retired. The new layout will be mobile friendly and more streamlined.

Downtime should be minimal, and additional notices will be made, however a few minutes here and there will probably occur.
development is done on separate board to keep down time to a minimum.

thunderchero

fuller
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by fuller » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:00 pm

ah cool, thanks

cleverwise
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by cleverwise » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:48 pm

On Nov 25th we will be taking the new design live. This means, as stated, Raven Nuke will be retired on that date. It was originally planned to launch the redesign early next year. However the hosting company is going to force the latest version of PHP onto our community starting December 1st. This has created a forced deadline as it will break Raven Nuke by causing fatal errors. If you aren't already aware this is the system used to run this community.

While it could be patched this would take some doing and just isn't worth the effort when we can cut over to the new layout. Unfortunately this forced deadline means some of the features we originally planned to have working with the launch will just have to come online over the next few months. There just isn't enough time to get it all done as first mapped out. So be it.

As for downtime; it should be minimal. On that day we will be upgrading the site itself, the Armada community, and Birth community. These will be done one at a time. When upgrading the communities there will be a few minutes perhaps up to 30 minutes or so of time locked out of the boards as we must upgrade AFC to PHPBB 3.x which will take longer. Many tests have been run importing data and doing upgrades to the download sections and boards via development areas. Still I would rather quote a longer time and have it take less than the other way around.

There will be no exact time set other than the 25th. TC and I will be working together to cut over when possible, starting in the afternoon EST. We will just get a section going and verify things are okay before moving onto the next. Obviously should you reach the boards and site during the upgrading/transformation period simply please be patient and know we are working on it.

I know this community has been burned in the past with multi-week downtimes. I can promise this will NOT occur as I am an experience server administrator and programmer with official database training. I am guessing getting off these older systems and streamlining the backend will take a few hours from start to finish. Therefore expect certain parts of the site to be temporarily unavailable as these changes occur.

Additional Point:

Why the 25th? To give us some breathing time in case something doesn't go right. While I doubt any major issues, due to much testing, I still prefer a fallback plan just in case. So if the upgrade failed we can fall back onto Raven for a few more days. It is just smart planning to have a cushion. Plus on the 28th it is Thanksgiving in the USA and not the best day to coordinate a change over.

fuller
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Re: Site Changes coming soon

Post by fuller » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:15 pm

Love the new opening screen, it makes it a lot more friendly and i really like it.

cleverwise
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by cleverwise » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:35 pm

Okay this board has now been updated and should be fully operational. :D

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:36 am

Excellent work! I like the design of this quite a lot! :)
Dead

fuller
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by fuller » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Elrond wrote: I like the design of this quite a lot! :)
me too!, it's a really great effort from all involved! Hopefully, the new look site will entice some more users to the site and get a more active forum.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Re: Site Changes are here

Post by Elrond » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:59 pm

That would make for some good times, no doubt. The community may be somewhat smaller than it once was, but it sure isn't dead. And if it once was dead at some point, then it's a zombie. In the event that that is the case, I'd better get my vinyl records ready so that I can adequately defend myself from the zombie hordes. :o
Dead

fuller
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by fuller » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:27 am

Hold on, does the picture at the top change??? I'm sure it was a Sovereign class yesterday...and now it's a K'Tinga...

thunderchero

Post by thunderchero » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:32 am

fuller wrote:Hold on, does the picture at the top change??? I'm sure it was a Sovereign class yesterday...and now it's a K'Tinga...
I plan on changing it monthly. we will see how long that last :D

thunderchero

fuller
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by fuller » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:25 am

aha I see! its pretty cool, it just scared the hell out of me when i saw it had changed without me noticing!!