Slipstream Drive for Armada?

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

fuller
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Slipstream Drive for Armada?

Post by fuller » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:31 am

Seen as Voyager was equipped with such technology in one of the episodes, and the Star Trek novels have introduced us with ships that use Slipstream Drive (Vesta Class ships) I've been wondering how this could be implemented in Armada.
My main ideas are as follows;
a fairly crude method where the ships that are equipped with Slipstream drive can travel as fast as the tiny scout ships no matter what their size is,
a basic copy of the Borg transwarp drive special weapon, although i'm not entirely sure how feasible this would be,
lastly, a sort of almost cloaking device which means the ship cannot be attacked while it is travelling.

the middle idea is most realistic, while the top on is probably easiest, but i welcome your thoughts on it.

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Re: Slipstream Drive for Armada?

Post by MajorPayne » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:46 pm

Adapting the method from the borg transwarp drive will work as its been done before (quite some years ago actually).

Je_mezu24
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Re: Slipstream Drive for Armada?

Post by Je_mezu24 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:00 pm

fuller wrote:Seen as Voyager was equipped with such technology in one of the episodes, and the Star Trek novels have introduced us with ships that use Slipstream Drive (Vesta Class ships) I've been wondering how this could be implemented in Armada.
My main ideas are as follows;
a fairly crude method where the ships that are equipped with Slipstream drive can travel as fast as the tiny scout ships no matter what their size is,
a basic copy of the Borg transwarp drive special weapon, although i'm not entirely sure how feasible this would be,
lastly, a sort of almost cloaking device which means the ship cannot be attacked while it is travelling.

the middle idea is most realistic, while the top on is probably easiest, but i welcome your thoughts on it.
MajorPayne wrote:Adapting the method from the borg transwarp drive will work as its been done before (quite some years ago actually).
I'd go with the first idea because any of the instantaneous travel ideas in STA2 isn't that good. The Borg Transwarp special weapon sucks and doesn't even give it justice to any Transwarp Drive used in TNG and in Voyager after all it was a faster way of traveling, not something instantaneous as STA2 makes it. I have tried the other Slipstream Drive version weapons that MajorPayne has mentioned and they all suck as well because they act instantaneous and don't show traveling but portray the weapon/drive getting to your destination so instantaneously that its ridiculous. After all, it's still a form of travel that isn't supposed to be instantaneous like traveling through a Stargate is or Wormhole Drive in the last episode of Stargate Atlantis.

I'm going to be getting rid of the Transwarp Drive special weapon and others like it in my STA2 Mod (and other mods as well) and make it more realistic, your first idea in fact is the most plausible and was my first idea that came to mind and still seems to be the # 1 closest to 100% accuracy. I'm in the process of editing the files used for scout ships to make them portray an accurate Slipstream Drive form of travel as well as that of a Transwarp Drive.