STAR TREK ARMADA 1 FUTURE

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

galac
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

STAR TREK ARMADA 1 FUTURE

Post by galac » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:16 am

Hi guys... I didn't play too much any pc game including A1 for long time now, and I want it play... anyway i was busy and I managed to buy new laptop, which OS is win8 (sadly), but I was also out of gaming scene too long for my standars, so i dont know what's new... so i have couple of questions

1. Can we try to create some software or patch for A1 that we can play on win8?
2. Is there any new mods for A1 similiar to FleetOps for A2?
3. Is it possbile to add some stuff from A2 to A1, E.G. trading or warp?
4. Has anyone tried to convert some ships from STO??

* I've installed A1 with all patches (1.2, 1.3), tried compatibility troubleshooter and i got to splash screen and than crash..there must be a way to enter the game, i know it..

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Re: STAR TREK ARMADA 1 FUTURE

Post by thunderchero » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:34 pm

I am no expert on A1 or A2, but for BOTF we found this

DxWnd

Latest Build can be found here
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/files/

this is mainly for allowing game to play in windowed mode but I have found it can help with older games. You need to play with the setting to see what works best for A1/A2. also the developer will provide support for game that has problems.

he helped us at BOTF to reduce mouse lag on windows 8

thunderchero

Je_mezu24
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Je_mezu24 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:31 pm

I haven't used Windows 8 for playing any games and don't even have Windows 8... don't like it and never will since its incompatible with many old games I have even if they were able to install they just won't play.

Also I haven't discovered any mod like FleetOps for A1 and I don't even think one exists.

I don't know about adding any thing from A2 to A1 don't think it will work because the SOD format is a little different in A2 using light maps and other aspects not supported in A1. The reverse is true for A2, A2 can use A1 stuff with minor ODF file editing because it is still able to use the A1 SOD files as well.

So far no one has converted any Star Trek Online (STO) ships for either A1 or A2 and I personally want to see and have the three Odyssey-class combo (as one ship) and the Klingon Bortasqu' Class Dreadnought for my A2 Mod. I haven't had luck with creating 3D mods and have been looking for someone to convert/create those two ships for me but with no luck even though I have multi view images for both of those ships, including for the Odyssey-class what it looks like with the Saucer attached and separated, and the Aquarius-class attached and unattached to it and what the Aquarius-class looks like as well.

galac
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by galac » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:28 am

thx guys for answers...Thunderchero could you please try running A1 using DxWnd?? If you have any success, please let us know... On my mind comes something like emulator...There are tons of emulators made for playing old Play Station games...I am wondering is it possible to make something similiar for old PC games...

Je_mezu24 thanks for detailed info...however is there some way to make A2 like A1, without that annoying zooming in and out, with little slower gameplay...what I'm trying to say - game mechanics from A1 to A2...i never liked 3D graphics in strategy games... I'm retro maniac :D

STO has awesome ships...I used to play it..It's pity we can't convert them..Has anyone tried to convert ships from Legacy?? e.g. there are Borg Monolith or Romulan Harpy class

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:19 am

1. Can we try to create some software or patch for A1 that we can play on win8?

Armada 1 is significantly difficult to make any changes of this type. The reason for this is unlike A2, Armada 1 has much of its code specifics hardcoded within several files and without the source code are completely unreadable. Now this doesn't mean that it might not be possible, but its highly unlikely to be done by any regular coder.

2. Is there any new mods for A1 similiar to FleetOps for A2?

Due to the differences between A1 and A2 game engines there isn't currently any known mod thats been publically released.

3. Is it possbile to add some stuff from A2 to A1, E.G. trading or warp?

I remember someone did try to mod a warp capability but due to the pathing of the game, the results were, how shall we put this, wierd to say the least. Ships that were tested would jerk across the screen and it just didn't look as it should. Other than this nothing else has been tried, but I would suspect that almost every new feature would require source code changes and that something we just don't have access to.

4. Has anyone tried to convert some ships from STO??

If there is an importer for any of the various software available then it would be a simple matter of obtaining the necessary model and texture files. However. To my knowledge no such importer currently exists.

galac
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by galac » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:30 am

MajorPayne thanks for answers...tell me, please, is it possible to change camera position in A2 so that e.g. "STATION IS NOT DOWN, AND VESSEL IS NOT ABOVE", what I'm trying to say - that they are both in the same horizontal line, just like in A1...??

and how to make A2 with A1 feeling, with graphics or sounds, with actual gameplay like in A1 or with ships that aren't made of "paper" when destroyed??

Many time ago I found something similar to what I'm asking, but it's hard to remember these days

just look this picture http://i60.tinypic.com/2u46dmf.jpg

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:47 am

Well its certainly possible to make a sort of classic A1 feel to Armada 2 but you won't get the exact same results. As far as I know the Horizontal (Z axis) plane that the ships fly on can also be changed but I can't for the life of me remember how its done. Its been quite some time since I modded Armada 2, and as for A1. I'm unable to play the game even with the patch project installed due to the monitor style tv I'm using. Oh and that DxWnd doesn't work with armada 1. The game just flicks off the splash screen back to the desktop (I figured I would try it even though I'm still using XP my game is shifted off centre and at least 1/3 of the screen is chopped off). I'm not sure what else you can try.

galac
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by galac » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:41 am

i have played a1 on win7 ultimate x64 without any problem.. f*** it i have new laptop now so i'm hoping for some miracle :D

Major are you maybe active on MSFC forum?? http://www.msfc.com.au/community/index.php

Those guys are also modders of a1/a2... I've singed up, however I can't post anything or change anything...I always get error, e.g. "You have insufficient privileges to post here." and similiar.. I dont know what's wrong... :( can you please try to sign up, and if it works for you, can you contact guy named Majestic about problem??

My goal is to mod a1 (or a2) to have all ships or stations form rest of games (Legacy, SFC etc) in game...However I dont know how to do it exactly.. I can convert ships from A2 to A1 and reverse, but I dont know how to convert ships from rest of games..I would do that mod in a2, but with a1 elements mentioned before... Imagine Borg obelisk (Legacy) or Romulan Falcon (SFC3).. It'd be great to do it, but when, we'll see :?

Je_mezu24
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Je_mezu24 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:21 pm

galac wrote:i have played a1 on win7 ultimate x64 without any problem.. f*** it i have new laptop now so i'm hoping for some miracle :D

Major are you maybe active on MSFC forum?? http://www.msfc.com.au/community/index.php

Those guys are also modders of a1/a2... I've singed up, however I can't post anything or change anything...I always get error, e.g. "You have insufficient privileges to post here." and similiar.. I dont know what's wrong... :( can you please try to sign up, and if it works for you, can you contact guy named Majestic about problem??

My goal is to mod a1 (or a2) to have all ships or stations form rest of games (Legacy, SFC etc) in game...However I dont know how to do it exactly.. I can convert ships from A2 to A1 and reverse, but I dont know how to convert ships from rest of games..I would do that mod in a2, but with a1 elements mentioned before... Imagine Borg obelisk (Legacy) or Romulan Falcon (SFC3).. It'd be great to do it, but when, we'll see :?

When it comes to MSFC Galac, two things have to happened:
1. They have to approve you as a member before you can post or do anything, after all MSFC's admins and owner are picky about everything on the site.

2. You have to also post a number of times before you can even download anything. I believe its 15 posts before you can download anything.
Last edited by Je_mezu24 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

galac
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by galac » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:27 am

well it's been about week or more that i've singed up...i even sent e-mail..i got no response...i have some ideas and there are guys who could help me...

btw is it possible to convert wireframes from a2 to a1?? i managed a2 build buttons working in a1...however for wireframes, i don't know what "dimensions" to apply

Je_mezu24
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Je_mezu24 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:57 pm

galac wrote:well it's been about week or more that i've singed up...i even sent e-mail..i got no response...i have some ideas and there are guys who could help me...

btw is it possible to convert wireframes from a2 to a1?? i managed a2 build buttons working in a1...however for wireframes, i don't know what "dimensions" to apply
They'll most likely never reply to you, that's how its always been for me, they make decisions and stick by it at MSFC even if they are wrong, they won't admit it.

So if you can't login to the account you created, or do anything there then consider it as you're not welcome there at MSFC and move on, that's what I've done.

There really isn't anyone that can help you get into MSFC, from what I was told by an admin there is that its automatic for something's such as that they check your IP Address and if its ever been connected to anyone they don't like or have booted from the site you won't be allowed to register or use the site under the pretense they believe you could be any person they don't want there. That has been my experience with MSFC so I stay away from it and ignore it like its the plague.

I don't think A2 wireframe s will work in A1, something's aren't reverse compatible due to light maps and other things associated with the texture files.

galac
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by galac » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:19 pm

i got rejected :D morons...however i wanted to join, because i had some ideas and they also have some ships like harpy class or other romulan ships from legacy...those ships i couldn't find anywhere else :(

have anyone tried to convert some ships from legacy??

Je_mezu24
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Je_mezu24 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:12 pm

galac wrote:i got rejected :D morons...however i wanted to join, because i had some ideas and they also have some ships like harpy class or other romulan ships from legacy...those ships i couldn't find anywhere else :(

have anyone tried to convert some ships from legacy??
I've found that some members at MSFC will be kind and asked nicely will download mods and send them to you if they know what you want. Some have done that for me. The key is anything it seems is done by Majestic is password protected and only ones able to open them and use them need that password. Because of that I haven't easily gotten any mods by him since only a select few get that password.

I might have some of what was sent me backed up though...

galac
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by galac » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:56 am

i need those romulan ships from legacy (anything you have) and of course typhon class with fighter...i can easily convert them to a1 later... and if you know someone from MSFC could you ask them kindly to convert borg obelisk from legacy to a1/a2

right now i'm playing STO...oh God i wish cryptic games make some star trek RTS like armada...awesome graphics, awesome gameplay... STO is one of best star trek games ever

Je_mezu24
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Je_mezu24 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:12 pm

galac wrote:i need those romulan ships from legacy (anything you have) and of course typhon class with fighter...i can easily convert them to a1 later... and if you know someone from MSFC could you ask them kindly to convert borg obelisk from legacy to a1/a2

right now i'm playing STO...oh God i wish cryptic games make some star trek RTS like armada...awesome graphics, awesome gameplay... STO is one of best star trek games ever
For Romulan ships from MSFC, I only have one from Star Trek Legacy, its the Battlehawk from the Enterprise Era.
All the others including Borg ships if I got them, I got them on another site and had a friend convert, even Romulan ships were there...
http://sfc.battleclinic.com/

Really what you seem to be asking for is on that site, others can be found at Armada2Files such as the Typhon-class and Fighters...
http://armada2.filefront.com/file/Typho ... ers;122213
http://armada2.filefront.com/file/Typho ... ure;122238

Other Legacy converted ships could be there as well. I'd check other sources before looking to MSFC.