Playing Star Trek Armada on my new PC

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

knightblazer85
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Playing Star Trek Armada on my new PC

Post by knightblazer85 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:45 pm

I'm planning to get a new pc with windows 10 at the end of the month.

but i've read that armada doesnt play well with the new consoles.

so after talking to my brother in law about computers, an idea hit me and i'm hoping to get a little advice on whether it would work or not.

the idea is kind of simple.

once i have my new pc and i have all my files off my old one. get the techs at pc world to reset the hard drive of my old pc to factory standard with the windows vista os intact on it. and then have the techs take the hard drive from my old pc and slave it to my new one so that i can run windows vista from the old hard drive and use it solely for playing star trek armada and a couple of old school strategy games.

anybody on here have any idea if something like that would work? or should i just save my money and try another approach like a virtual console or something

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Re: Playing Star Trek Armada on my new PC

Post by MrVulcan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:39 pm

Welcome to the forums!

Your approach with dual-boot vista/win10 is better than anything that will be possible with a virtual machine in Win10.

The only difficulty you might encounter is that Vista is no longer available; so unless you have the original disk with a valid serial code, the techs will be unable to install a fresh copy of vista on your old harddrive. However, if the vista installation came as an OEM copy with the purchase of your old computer, you should do factory reset BEFORE taking the harddrive out and placing it in a new computer. You would not be able to do a factory reset if the hardware configuration changes drastically (ie, completely new computer).

If the techs have a copy of Win7 for you to use, that'll do just fine also as Armada runs on Win7 without any major problems.

Lastly, depending on the type of graphics card that your new computer will come with, you may still have difficulties running the game. The 1.3 unofficial patch will almost certainly be required to run the game.

Cheers and good luck. Let us know how the transition goes.

Mr. V

knightblazer85
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by knightblazer85 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:12 pm

as i said i dont think i'd need another copy. just do reset of the hard drive to return the computer to factory standard, then get the techs to rip out the hard drive and slave it to the new pc.

but as u said the game might not like the more advanced hardware. my current computer is about 7 or 8 years old

so in reality my best bet may just be to wait for armada to come out on steam

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:33 pm

knightblazer85 wrote:as i said i dont think i'd need another copy. just do reset of the hard drive to return the computer to factory standard, then get the techs to rip out the hard drive and slave it to the new pc.
yeah, I misunderstood your original post. If the techs can do this for you without charging an arm and a leg, give it a try and see if you can get it running. Otherwise, restore the system to factory, then try to tinker with it yourself and see if you can set up dual boot and locate all the necessary drivers in Vista for the new hardware yourself.

Armada may never appear on steam because Activision no longer has a licence to sell anything related to star trek.. Unlikely to change now as its been over 10 years since activision dropped the licence.

limon36
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by limon36 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:33 am

even win 10 pro won't run the star trek armada due it is old. It open but then it crashes.