BOTF 1.0.2 crashes in multiplayer during combat.

Our General Discussion Forum. This is the main forum of AFC, and is used for talking about just about anything you like ... Please, do not advertise, 'spam' or 'flame' in this forum.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

DOGofWAR
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

BOTF 1.0.2 crashes in multiplayer during combat.

Post by DOGofWAR » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:47 pm

I am new to AFC and this is my first post. My friend and I have always enjoyed playing the original BOTF, and we never went beyond it. We both upgraded to new pcs running Windows 7, But we never had the crashes in multiplayer mode on old pcs that we have now. A solution would be appreciated.

I still had the original BOTF on a flashdrive and we put it on our new pcs. I did a few single player games with no major crashes. Then my friend and I started a multiplayer campaign. It ran fine for many turns until my friend got into his first battle and resolved it manually. Immediately he got a message saying something like, "The program stopped and will now return to desktop", and my pc totally frozed up forcing me to restart it to get out of it. It did it every time we retried. We ran the game on compatibility mode for Windows 98, but left all remaining compatibility settings unchecked. I hosted the game on "Game Ranger", and was wondering where/how most of you play multiplayer games.

PC#1 My pc
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium.....64-bit system Connection Data - Comcast Broadband
Processor: 3.4 GHz Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU
Memory: 8 GB RAM PING.......5ms
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 DL Speed.......21.71 Mbps
Hard Drive: 465 GB 69.1 GB (free space) UL Speed....... 4.26 Mbps

PC#2 My friend's pc
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Re: BOTF 1.0.2 crashes in multiplayer during combat.

Post by MajorPayne » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:21 pm

I would be very interested in who it was that deleted my reply to this thread.....

Coracle
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Re: BOTF 1.0.2 crashes in multiplayer during combat.

Post by Coracle » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:36 pm

What can be said: crash in MP games is a so called "known bug" and has been there since the beginning. I think it has something to do with memory leaks. Anyway, the makers of Botf went out of business before this problem was properly patched and we live with it ever since. From PC to PC, from Win-version to Win-version and from game to game the frequency of crashes changes but MP crashes lurk out there all the time. Just make frequent saves of your MP games and reconnect after crashes and hope the best. Avoiding battles with too many ships helps a bit, too. Have fun anyway, Botf Multiplayer is still one of the greates games ever, despite the bugs.