Future Tense II Now Recruiting

The Federation of the future is about to embark on a temporal battle of survival

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:12 pm

Future Tense is in the Star Trek Universe :)

kurn
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by kurn » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:23 pm

do u need those models by a certain date or anything? cause im haveing trouble with my game and i havent been doing much with it untill i can fix it

kurn
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by kurn » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:49 pm

never mind i have the orion race for tmp all done. i have an out post, star base, research center and pods, construction ship, freighter,mining station, shipyard, turret (most of which are models that were taken directly from sfc except the mining station.) and well
fighters, scout, destroyer, advanced destroyer, 2 heavy crusiers, advanced heavy cruiser and if u would like since i took them from SFC OP i added the space mosters which are controlable in sfc if u r playing as the beast raiders cartel. i also am curently working on the hydrans.

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:37 am

I'd be thrilled to join the team, if you'll have me. I can do new weapons and odfs and stuff, but mostly I'd like to make models. I have to admit, my knowledge of non-TNG races is limited, but I think I could create some exceptional Romulan or Breen ships. I've even got a nifty futuristic concept for Feds that might interest you... curved nacelles that meet at a point on the rear hull. Let me know if I can help, please!

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:58 am

can u show us some of ur models please?

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:48 pm

Yeah, here are some of my favorites I've been working on (at various stages of completion.) Hope you like!

PS: sorry the picture's so big.

kurn
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by kurn » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:49 pm

did you also want to see mine cause if so i could email you some pictures but it might take a while.

Claydo
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Claydo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:50 am

i wud like 2 help i have been making enterprise, the lost era ships 4 feds if u want them

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:13 pm

Not bad Doci, how are you at high quality detailed models - but with a low poly count?

Got ne samples Claydo?

Claydo
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Claydo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:40 pm

here is the examples (my name on there is apocalypse)

http://www.altairtechandgaming.com/inde ... pic=4459.0

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:15 pm

Good question. I know that as of yet I'm not very good at restricting myself to low polys. All of my training comes from Cadkey, which was obviously very different than the more game-formated gmax and milkshape. High detail probably won't be a problem, though. Perhaps to rate my worthiness for this here mod, you could try giving me some kind of assignment, and rate how well I do at it. I could e-mail you a complete model of your specification (be it an original ship or some existing vessel you'd like me to try to recreate) so you could grade it more thoroughly than you'd be able to by looking at a finite number of pictures. If you have anything you'd like me to try, please tell me. Other than that, I'm not sure how to better let you know if I'm qualified for all of this. (PS: very happy to get a "Not bad" from the master and commander!)

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:08 pm

Everyone can model, its just a question of practice and application. One advice I give to everyone I have taught or offered advice too is model small then build upwards.

Though if you want a 'test' so to speak eh, hmm lol....

K, following my own words,

1) A Shuttlecraft fit for the 1701-B/C
You can use your own design if you wish or merge the STV shuttle and a TNG up to you as long as it follows shuttle design linage.

Poly count: 300

2) An Original Series Original Design
Something to fit in with Kirk's Era, no Kitbash designs or current, I wanna see how imaginative you can be,

Stats: Heavy Cruiser, 2/3 the length of Enterprise,
Poly count: 1200

3) Federation Shipyard
Any Era you like

Poly Count: 2000

Something Small, Something imaginative, Something Constructive :) When you or anyone else who wants to give it a crack is ready let me see and I'll guide/train you further if at all needed :)

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:06 am

A fantastic idea for a skill-building exam! I will start tomorrow, some time after my classes. This will be the coolest test I've ever taken!

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:51 pm

I see you're anubis now (best Goa'uld ever!). Spent a few hours making a TOS model (as a part of the test) when I realized that I had no idea what "kitbash" meant. I looked it up, but now I can't help but still feel a little confused. At the time of the TOS movies, there was like only one type of federation saucer and nacelle (until the Excelsior). If I make those shapes from scratch with minor alterations... (ugh, it sounds like I'm defining kitbashing!)... and mix them with new forms in a unique configuration, is that... (why do I bother to ask?)... kitbashing? I should send you a picture. I hope this isn't "cheating"(ps, disregard borrowed texture)...

Sorry I'm off to such a bad start.

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:48 pm

A kitbash would for example take the Enterprise - E and stick a 3rd nacelle on her and call it the Sovereign Q-Fit or take a Galaxy Class give it two stardrives and 8 Nacelles and call it the Galactic Class. Or you could take an Akira flip the pylons and give it TOS nacelles - oh wait they did that didnt they?

K critic time.

1. Your model is on the thin side sorta like a twig (no offense) try to buff it up a bit. TOS ships are simplistic they dont have a lot of sharp edges (taking canon and non-canon units into effect). Also try to recall that Gene Roddenbury disclosed the Bridge of a Federation ship is on Deck 1 so a stardrive above this would counter-act Gene's law which also prohibited odd nacelled vessels. Cause I intend to continue his legacy his laws must be foundation

2. Texture, very hard to see detail if it's textured. Don't worry about the Textures, not interested in you're texturing abilities at the moment, at present time, I'm trying to mold you into a better modeler ;) we'll worry about the textures later.

3. Poly Count: What I'm looking for with high detailed low poly models is the use of polies. You can go over that amount given slightly if the ship is clean and looks better because of it. For example, you want to do an Intrepid like Saucer with lots of indentations, or a Sovereign saucer with a flat plain that seperates the area. With this in mind, you can also use the polies to keep the ships smooth, you could use a 24 pointed cylinder for a saucer with 3 layers (that'll be about 200 polies) and use that to model the base and give the stardrive a 6 stacked 18 point cylinder so it has a nice smooth shape when looking directly at it, and on the side. One rule i will say is avoid spheres at all costs as in some cases these beasties double poly counts where a shaped cylinder can do the job in half the amout, by doing this though it takes longer, you are saving polies that can be used elsewhere

4. Single Cell Modeling: A lot of modeling I do is done by single or double cell modeling, which is where i create two polies, and duplicate them over and over into shape to produce a customised shape, one unit I can recall off the top of my head that used this procedure is the new Sovereign model (Nacelles n stardive near the deflector) and the entire Type 18 Shuttlecraft

5. Welding and Smoothing: If you box model or place two shapes together, they should always have a vault line. IE two nodes that can weld together, if you are for example creating a pylon for a nacelle that uses 2 boxes, the lower one connected to the hull with a slight angle, with the top one with a greater angle and connected to the nacelle (Mirandas and Ambassadors as an example) Then weld the points together (Control+N) and then smooth them (Control+W) it will smoothern the shape and you wont get dark shades all over the model. If you do after welding you have a mesh error that may need teaks or resurfacing. In Armada maps that use more than one light source, this will show up on the ship like a christmas tree alit in a dark room and will ruin the model.

6.Layers: Don't be afraid to use lots of layers to give ur units shape, from the pictures as I said it looks twig like as in very thing and britel. Use layered cylinders to build up shape of the areas rather than restricting to one stack.

An example to help illustrate what I'm after:

I've included wireframe shots too so you can see how the thing comes together. She weighs in at: 1322 Polies. Key thing to remember is if you cant see the poly (IE two faces touching each other) delete it, that frees 4 polies which can be spent elsewhere.

What you got is a good start, needs some design tweaks and more depth but aside from that its okay. If you are going to give it turrets, perhaps model them like a Miranda where you give it some sort of construct, rather than a cylinder that just sticks out of the hull. If it's easier then yeah kitbash, but nothing obvious like mentioned above. You could do a TOS Miranda/Orbeth variant if you wanted as long as it looks good and isnt an obvious rip then that's cool :)

Hope showing you one of my wireframes helps you understand a bit better :)

Ad'

PS/ I never got into Stargate but Anubis is cool, pic's from Mummy Returns which IMO has the best CGI Anubis in entertainment similarly how Van Helsing has the best Werewolves - though thats my opinion