Who is the best Star Trek captain?

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Who is the best Star Trek captain?

Post by odyssey » Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:14 am

:? Situation: Federation long range sensors has detected a ominous unknown alien force approaching Earth. Which captain would you assign to investigate and deal with this potential threat? They could be any captain from any of the Trek series including non-Enterprise Caps.

For me.. it's gotta be Kirk. This "shoot from the hip" space cowboy and take no prisoners attitude always works.He'll deck you if you even percieve to disrepect him. He's a superb tacticianer and fighter plus, he roams through the galaxy fueled by his libido. :wink:

Second choice would be Picard, but let's face facts, he's no action hero despite the movies attempt to protray him as. He'll perfer to talk his way out of everything. Too polictically corrected.

Worst choice.. (Archer too early to judge) is Janeway. When you have a race of savages like the KAzon (worst villian and HAIR...EVER!) who cannot even make water take over the ship... several times, she should be court marshalled and walke the plank! :oops:

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:13 am

I dunno, Janeway put up with a lot of poop though I think Kirk would be better since its all the 1701 use to do lol

Either - Stop hostile Aliens
or
Fight Klingons

lol

Ad'

CptBenSisko
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CptBenSisko » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:15 am

If he was still around, I'd go with Sisko since, well let's face it, he has the sense of diplomacy of Picard and Kirk's take no prisoner's attitude. He was one of the best all around captains/commander in all of Trekdom. Forget Janeway, Sisko and the Defiant all the way!!

Cpt_Geddes
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Cpt_Geddes » Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:00 pm

Picard. But it depends on what time era. Kirk probably won't do well in late TNG era as too many things have changed.

robdavidge
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by robdavidge » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:39 am

Sisko!

C'mon, he layed waste to a planet just to spite Eddington and the Maquis!

Easlity the best all-rounder too, can be diplomatic when he needs to be, for example, all the times he DIDN'T strangle the life out of Kai Winn deserve some kind of commendation!

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:25 pm

Correction... worst possible captain... Ent B Harriaman or however you spell his name . On his first shake down cruise or mission , not only does he wreck the ship, he needed to ask advice from Kirk... not the qualities one would expect from a Captain of the Enterprise. Kirk made him look really bad. :oops:

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:13 pm

I think it was Captain Harriman's first command, plus having the captain of the Enterprise for what 25 years on his bridge looking at him, plus having a ship that was incompleted - its no real surprise why he looked bad:

He felt Kirk was judging him,
The 1701-B was half maned and only had partial systems online
John lacked the experience Kirk had

So he was nervious and thats why he asked for help as his judgement was impaired ;)

Ad'

Cpt_Geddes
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Cpt_Geddes » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:54 pm

I change my mind, its a tie between sisko and picard.

CenturionV
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CenturionV » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:09 am

Kirk, scotty I need more power.........to phasers! Its the ONLY way to deal with evil aliens.
"Oh, now be honest, Captain. Warrior to warrior. You do prefer it this way, don't you, as it was meant to be. No peace in our time. "Once more unto the breach, dear friends."

xxxxx
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by xxxxx » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:26 am

Well im going to be radical and say Archer.

It may be a bit early to tell but Damage helped me make my decision. In Damage, Archer demonstated that he would do what it takes to save Earth. If an alien force was approaching the planet, diplomacy wouldnt really be required. Thats why am saying Archer. Look at it like this if Kirk, Picard, Sisko or Janeways warp coils were damaged beyond repair and there was a ship with perfectly good ones. Which captain would take them??? Archer.

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:11 pm

Well, we know Sisko would have the done - when he irradiated a planet just to get his former secuirty chief and set up to get the Romulans into the war. Forget Picard. With Kirk with his free wheeling ways wouldn't have qualms, if it got the job done. Set phasers to Kill! :D

Josh
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Josh » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:48 pm

About the Capt. Harriman thing:
If Harriman was this nervous as captain, how the heck did he get the position as captain? To become captain, people have to work their way up from Ensign or crewman or something and prove that they won't crack under pressure. Harriman was unexperienced and young - two of the most dangerous qualities a captain can have. Harriman was what, 28 years old or less? He seemed like a friendly person, but besides that, he was no captain when it came to real pressure. When Riker came aboard the Ent-D for the first time, he had way more experience than Capt. Harriman did when he became captain - and Riker was just the first officer. If Capt. Harriman remained captain, he probably cracked later on and decided to take a desk job at Starfleet Headquarters because he just could not handle the pressure of having real lives in his hands. There is a big difference between life in the simulator and life itself! A captain cannot be a captain with simulator experience alone. If captain Harriman had been in starfleet and served aboard a starship before, he would have already been conditioned to the mental and social rigors of commanding a starship - hundreds of lives are in the loop, no matter what your rank is. Given that, Harriman probably didn't remain a captain for long.
I'm of course open to the possibility that Harriman gained much more wisdom and experience later on and perhaps became a great captain. If he did become a great captain, he would have been mentioned somewhere in the future (TNG, movies - beside Generations, Voy, or DS9).
Anyway, that is just my take on it - agree or reject that opinion at your disgression.

OK - to my favorite captain. I'm currently tied between Kirk and Picard. Kirk was not by the book while Picard was sort of by the book. Both in their own ways upheld these beliefs throughout their careers in starfleet and didn't refrain from their beliefs unless they so stated to their crew that they would. What made them similar was that they remained untouched as far as their beliefs and attitudes were concerned. They were highly predictable to their friends and highly unpredictable and dangerous to their enemies. Both were willing to disobey command if it was for the greater good. Both of them knew that "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one." Spock would also place along with Kirk and Picard as greatest Enterprise captain. His logic worked for him many times - he also knew that the needs of the many outweighed the needs of the few or the one when he died to save the crew of the Enterprise in ST II. I would say for Spcok, Kirk, and Picard that they all had different logic/philosophy/attitudes/beliefs. For all three of them, their own beliefs worked for them. In the end, the one belief they had in common was realizing that life is important in every way and preserving that life was at utmost importance. Crashing the Enterprise into the Scimitar, for example, saved everyone on Earth. Kirk saved the planet I don't know how many times!

I don't know exactly how many times these three saved Earth or the galaxy, but Kirk seems to somehow come out on top purely because of his extraordinary ability to leap beyond logic in a way that produced good results. If I were a captain of the Enterprise, my illogical moves would have killed us all, but Kirk was a person who was able to think clearly in grave situations. If I were a captain of the Enterprise, I probably would have been like John Harriman the most. Some people have it in themselves to be a captain of a starship. Some like Harriman (and Janeway) don't apparently have what it takes. Kirk, Picard, and Spock kicked a** no matter what the heck was going on! If one was to come up against all three of them at the same time, they may as well challenge the devil :twisted: or the entire Federation! :wink: :lol: :D

Majestic
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Majestic » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:14 pm

I would have to say Sisko. He basically commanded the entire Fedreration fleet to victory several times in the Dominion War, as jake says in DS9: Valiant, he is one of the best combat captains in the fleet. He was even willing to take on a entire fleet of Dominion Ships inside the wormwhole (DS9: Scrafice of Angels).

I would also have to say that Janeway who be a good choice. She survived 7 years in the hostile Delta Quadrant, fighting to survive, taking on the Borg, Hiorgen, Kazon, Vidians and Species 8472 and still making it home in one peice. She evan managed to obtain advanced Federation technology (VOY: Endgame, VOY: Futures END part 2).

She is even an admiral now, which shows she must be a capable commander.

Trekkie_197
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Trekkie_197 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:27 pm

Sisko was the best captain, by far.

While I do like all the others, Sisko just seemed to fit the role of captain better than all the others. He could be an intimidating man, and he was shown to be one of the most capable officers during the Dominion War.
Long time Armada community member. *sigh* I miss the good old days of Apoc, STAMODS and STGN... Where did they go?

www.hyper-stream.com

Josh
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Josh » Sun May 02, 2004 5:38 pm

Hmmm...good point. I guess if he succeeded in the Dominion War, which was probably the biggest war in the history of the Federation, I guess he would have to be placed as the best or one of the best captains or commanders ever!