Who is the best Star Trek captain?

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Trekkie_197
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Trekkie_197 » Mon May 03, 2004 12:51 pm

Though, we still haven't seen the Romulan War. But I have a feeling we will if Enterprise continues through all seven seasons. I still think Sisko would be my favorite though. Just seems more of a real life person than the others. He's got his strengths, he's got his weaknesses, friends, enemies. He's even got a favorite (real) sport! :D

Though, I love playing baseball myself, so I may be a bit biased.
Long time Armada community member. *sigh* I miss the good old days of Apoc, STAMODS and STGN... Where did they go?

www.hyper-stream.com

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Mon May 03, 2004 3:11 pm

I remember that I had difficulty chosing between Picard and Kirk, but when I watched the DVD of DS9 and watched around 30 episodes, I would have to think that Sisko's my favorite captain as well. I like the point Trekkie_197 made on how Sisko is into a real sport. I like baseball as well. I think Picard's into raquetball or something like that and Kirk is into - I don't even know if Kirk really has a favorite sport!

Trekkie_197
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Trekkie_197 » Mon May 03, 2004 3:33 pm

Kirk was in to girl watching....if you catch my drift.
Long time Armada community member. *sigh* I miss the good old days of Apoc, STAMODS and STGN... Where did they go?

www.hyper-stream.com

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Mon May 03, 2004 3:58 pm

I hear ya there - :lol: I guess that's a pretty good sport! Heh heh! LOL!

distant
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by distant » Tue May 04, 2004 8:12 pm

i cannot choose an overall best Captain for the job, i believe that all the 5 captains, would in a way handle the situation in a way they have done in there series, who completes the task first well thats a different story!

Picard has got to be my favourite Captain with Sisko running along side purly because of Sisko's destructive nature, as i am young i cannot really say much on the Original series but seeing what Kirk was like in the first load of films i believe he is a great Captain.

Picard and Janeway would analyse the situation and would most proberly try to make first contact, whereas Sisko and Archer would definatly attack first and ask questions after, just because of whats happend to them and 'Aliens'.

TNG was in many ways good but the series featured not many battles and when they did fight they were most of the time out numbered ot out gunned.
DS9 is a more believable series in a way with the fact the Federation was being slaughtered by the Jem'Hadar and allies, even though the Feds had the Romulan SE and Klingon Empire. The way DS9 come accross from teh very first episode was extremly intriging.
TOS as i have explained not much for me to go on, but ENT well what can i say battle after battle, and i love it!
But Voyager, OMG, OMG, OMG........ what is the logic of Voyager?? It just messes up the Ship Power Hierarchy! For example by sheer knowledge everyone must know that a Galaxy Class could wipe the floor with an Intrepid, So when Voyager took on the Borg Tactical Cube in the episode where Janeway beamed aboard to disperse that Virus to uncouple the Borg from teh collective, Voyage was yes very much damaged but go back to TNG and when 'Q' placed Enterprise D in that Borg Cube Situation, now another thinig that should be knowledge is that a Tactical Cube out guns a Cube, yet the Cube merely fired 3 shots at Ent D and crippled it!

Anyway after my little bit there my choice would prehaps be Sisko, becuase he is cool, he knows what he is up against if the race is strong, adn bascially the Defiant kicks butt! (is that allowed lol)

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey » Wed May 05, 2004 7:12 am

Concerning the Borg on Voyager: It's just one of the beef most critics have with this show and I agree. They misused the borg in that they've been striped of all the fear and invinciblity bulited upon by TNG. In every encounter Janeway and crew always gets away virtually unscratched. The addition of the Borg Queen - while she's HOT! :D - was a mistake. You mean the entire collective is run by one person? I was hoping for a huge planet size Matrix-like machine core as it's center or brain... something huge and unlike ever seen in a ST series. Voyager and the addition of 7 of 9 (HOTTER! :D ) also revealed too much of the borg weaknessess that any future encounters with them by the Feds will always end in their defeat... unlike in TNg.

As for Voyager's ship power hierachy, I guess it was the knowledge accumulated from previous encounters on TNG that allow them the advantage to win any battle with any Borg ships.

Sisko is a great captain, but is he a diplomat? Is he cunning and or can he out psyche his opponents- living or machine? Can he fight anyone stronger than him? Does he beds any green skin alien babe they come across? KirK, I believe embodies all these qualities. :wink:

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Wed May 05, 2004 2:30 pm

I just watched Star Trek II and III on TV this week, and after seeing what Kirk and Spock were able to do, I think that they can kick butt better than any other captain. In a way, I guess that's why the Enterprise eversince has always been the flagship because of the legendary Captain Kirk. At the same time I like Picard because he is one of the few captains who have successfully discerned when to obey or disobey the prime directive while beating unbelievable odds (saving the Earth from the Borg on Best of Both Worlds and First Contact, not to mention in Star Trek Armada I :D ). Captain Sisko's still pretty good, but Kirk and Picard (even Spock) are my favorite, though I would have to pick Kirk in the end after he defeated the Reliant after his ship was massively damaged. Oh, and he made it possible for the Federation and Klingons to sign a peace treaty!

Trekkie_197
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Trekkie_197 » Thu May 06, 2004 12:21 pm

Did any of them lead a war though?

www.hyper-stream.com

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Thu May 06, 2004 4:35 pm

A good answer is ...... no! Battles, yes, but not wars! 8)

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch » Fri May 07, 2004 1:28 am

James Tiberius Kirk. After the original ST the theme of the writing staff was to make the show more like a lawyer courtroom drama with tons of dialogue and mediating. While subsequent captains would be engaged in rhetorical bullcrap pow wows Kirk would be standing by with weapons hot.

Now if the choice as stated, ANY captain, I'd send in the Borg Queen. End of discussion. End of threat. The Borg would suck up the alien's good parts and disgard the bad/ "We wish to improved ourselves!"

Connavar
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Connavar » Fri May 07, 2004 5:51 am

I would have to say that where i agree kirk and Sisko make for a good show, Piccard is the most beleivable of the captains. It is a Piccard whom i feel never makes a wreckless decision, he thinks it through like any human being would. He seems to handle situations better. If you remember the episode where he ends up on the surface of a planet with an alien captain, and he learns to speak his language. Now what other captain would have been that patient? i can see Kirk beating up the alien, or wondering of to find another way out. I think Sisko would do the same. Maby Archer or Janeway might stay with the guy, but i dont think either of them would have figured out his language. In short, I couldn't really pick a fav captain, but if i had to trust my life to one of the five, it would be Piccard no questions asked.
"Gods have angels, Chaos have daemons, the night has us"

Trekkie_197
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Trekkie_197 » Fri May 07, 2004 3:53 pm

I don't know about Picard being the most believable. Picard never changed at all through the seven years (and later films) that we knew him. He was always by the book, unless morality dictates otherwise.

Sisko shows an evolution of character over the course of the seven years we had DS9. Now don't get me wrong. I love TNG, and Picard comes in second place for best captain. I just think that when it comes to raw ability, Sisko had more than the rest.

As for the Borg Queen comment... That's not a captain. Besides, Voyager proved that the Borg aren't even a threat to a single ship. :P

www.hyper-stream.com

TrashMan
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by TrashMan » Sat May 08, 2004 2:11 am

robdavidge wrote:Sisko!

C'mon, he layed waste to a planet just to spite Eddington and the Maquis!

Easlity the best all-rounder too, can be diplomatic when he needs to be, for example, all the times he DIDN'T strangle the life out of Kai Winn deserve some kind of commendation!
Sisko! The worst actor in ST history.. He would kill the aliens with his bad acting... 8)

Janeway changes the timeline to save two of her crewmen. She can't stand the loss of two dear crewmen..So she goes and betrays the Federation AND the Klingons..And you call that a good capitain?
God forbid if she broke a fingernail after a Federation victorious battle with the Borg..She would probably go back in time in risk everything just save her poor little nail.

I say Picard..he clearly can fight (Picar manouver anyone?)...
USS Apocalypse
*I let my Phaser Cannon do the talking!*

Cpt_Geddes
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Cpt_Geddes » Sat May 08, 2004 3:53 am

I think kirk was a bad captain because he embodies the tactics of "shoot first, ask questions later", a bit like the yanks armed forces :D . I think Picard is the best as he can be a formidable warrior and a firm negotiator. He makes good decisions and thinks it through but if he has to blow something to poop then he can, and will. Sisko is also one of the best captain, but I think he would better suited to commanding fleets, which he does very well. I don't like Janeway as a captain. Yeah sure she survived the Delta Quadrant but I think any of the captains could just as easily.

p.s. whats up with Picards ancestory? He is supposed to be a frenchman yet he has an English accent and is related to Nelson who was british.

TrashMan
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by TrashMan » Sat May 08, 2004 7:04 am

Picard all the way!

He has it all. Charisma, intellgence, wisdom, morale, experiance.. and he cak kick butt if needed...
I loved watchin TOS. Was good for laugs. Never took it seriously since it was just too funny...

Sisko and Janeway...->Recycle Bin/Permament Delete....
USS Apocalypse
*I let my Phaser Cannon do the talking!*