Who is the best Star Trek captain?

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Cpt_Geddes
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Cpt_Geddes » Sun May 09, 2004 12:17 am

Everyone has an accent in star trek. Most are american because star trek is filmed in america but Picard has an English accent as Patrick Stuart is English and he doesn't put an accent on because you can clearly hear it. Also there is more than one primary language, its just that the universal translator translates it.

Alohaman
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Alohaman » Sun May 09, 2004 1:09 am

I like Janeway the best, she was one of the best diplomats and she played by her own rules. If things got out of hand she would use "hard diplomacy" lol (that means she would blow em' out of the sky, wahoo)

Kirk was the same way too, so that's why I like him too.
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest."

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

morthamp
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by morthamp » Sun May 09, 2004 1:13 pm

I agree that Janeway is the best captain :D

James22b
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by James22b » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:07 am

sorry to go off topic, but Sisko was the captain/commander of a space station, why did he lead the war against the dominion? where was the enterprise and Cpt Picard when this was happening?

back on topic Picard all the way, best captain followed by Janeway. First contact says it all really Picards RULES.com

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:45 am

Yeah, where was Picard during the Dominion war? Presumingly on a long term secret mission of some sort. Kinda surprise considering one would expect the designated flagship of the Federation to take lead in any major conflict.

When you think about it, how many times did we really see Picard get physical and KICK butt? Other than the movies and maybe a handfull in the series, he is what he is... a talker.

Thus far, the impression is that Picard, Kirk and Sisko ranks high among AFC fans. Janeway, Archer and Harriman ranks on the bottom - no surprise :roll:

Do we have any nays or yeas for other caps like Pike, Garrett, Decker, Riker, Sulu, Terell and probably a host of others I don't recall?

James22b
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by James22b » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:00 am

if Rikers Command skills are anywhere near as bad as his acting skills in Insurrection, i wouldnt even give him a tug boat.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:58 pm

hmmmm...
I'd say that Garrett was probably at least better than Janeway and Harriman! But I heard that Harriman actually became a good fighting captain a few years after his ill-fated first command voyage! I heard he beat the poop out of a Klingon warrior when he supported another war between the Federation and Klingons! I don't know if Picard ever fought any Klingon warriors, so there's one point for Harriman, if what I heard is true! :roll:
Picard is like the Gandalf of Star Trek - he is an older but effective fighter, but his strength is more diplomacy than kicking butt! In a way, I find a lot of meaning in what Alohaman said about Janeway. She did make a sort of 'deal with the devil' when she decided to side with the Borg against Species 8472! Of course, later on, it was found that the guy who was a species 8472 was just mad at first and he had apologized for saying that he would "purge the galaxy." Species 8472 was just sort of 'confused.' I don't think they really want anything to do with our galaxy - it's just that the Borg ticked them off by trying to assimilate them!
I think Riker will be a pretty good commander of the USS Titan. Of course, I didn't think much of him as a commander when I first saw Generations. He sort of proved himself in Insurrection when he created the "Riker Maneuver" that Geordi LaForge quoted before they used the manual helm. That was when they used that joystick to control the ship (I laughed my a** off when I saw that for the first time). I was thinking - what the heck is he doing - using a computer joystick to command the Enterprise's helm! But the fact that it worked may have proven him an effective commander.
I think there's also hope for Archer since I saw the third season. He went from the "good ol' boy" days to kicking the poop out of the Xindi (of course the threat to Earth isn't finished yet, so who knows how well Archer will perform). I'm sure that the Xindi won't find a way to destroy Earth since it still exists in the 25th century!
Kirk is still in my mind the ultimate space cowboy and pioneer! That may be because I'm more used to seeing Kirk in Star Trek than Archer!
I'd say Sisko is among the best since he didn't need Picard's help in the Dominion War. And to imagine, he survived the war with the Defiant, a ship that's relatively easy to take out with just one Dominion Dreadnought let alone the hundreds the fleet encountered! Surviving that would be legendary and worthy of rememberance long into the next centuries!

Warmaster_Rob
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Warmaster_Rob » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:36 pm

well the defiant didnt actually survive, it was destroyed during the 1st major encouter with the breen. then another d class was renamed, (kind of a cop out if you ask me).
I understand why you never saw the enterprise in the D war. if you have a flagship, a famous one at that, with a famous crew and you are getting your butt kicked by another force your not gona send it into battle to be destroyed, it would be like shooting you sides moral in the head!
so you'd most likely keep it on active duty near the warzone so it appears to be part of the fight (giving the troops hope when they see her sail on by) but all the long making sure she is either never in combat or is part of a vastly overwhelming force on the outskirts of the enemy lines not in frontal assualts.

personall i find it hard to choose

depending on my mood and how many wargames i have played that day the list will vary but in an 'average' order

Sisko*
Kirk*
Picard*
Janeway
Garret
Harriman
Archer

The top 3 tend to swap round all the time so i award them joint 1st in this catagory
Come join the strongest vampire clan in the world

JEDI3112
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by JEDI3112 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:46 am

About Star Trek only I would say Picard first, not sure about Sisko and Archer, just because DS9 is about a station and Enterprise only has 3 seasons yet. By the way I like it that they don't use the USS designation in Enterprise, the only designations I like are TCS from Wing Commander and HMS in the British Navy.

The best captain from all SF I know would be Commander Adama from Battlestar Galactica, but I think Apollo would be just as good.

I think Kirk would be worst, I think he's more of a cowboy in space than a captain. I think Riker is bad one as well, maybe that's why the Borg never assimilated him, after all don't they want to arcieve perfection? Janeway would be a an avarage captain, not as good as Picard but she would get the job done.

Zered003
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Zered003 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:27 pm

I would have to say the best captian is Picard. For a few reasons. First of all he is accually able to talk his way out a situation. Which is a skill to few people have any more. Second, When negotiations fail he can make out some awesome battle plans. Third, when he does fight it is for the greater good and is willing to give it his all, including his life and the life of everyone in his command if needed to save a larger number. Picard has proven time and time again even on the Stargazer that he could save the people under his command by finding ways to beat the odds. Ofcourse , I guess the same could be said about all the others too but I think Picard has been shown to have more depth then most the others.

CmdrJack
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by CmdrJack » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:48 pm

I agree with Zered003, TrashMan and anyone else on Captian Picard. He is the one all the way. He has it all. Charisma, intellgence, wisdom, experiance.. and he can kick butt if needed...

battlestar001
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by battlestar001 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:43 am

order of captians for me would be

1st Picard / kirk
2nd sisko
3rd Janeway / archer
4th Riker
5th harriman
6th Garret
7th pike
8th Sulu

I can never decide which captain is better. Kirk or picard. Kirk is trigor happy and a great Warrior and picard is a model captian looking for a dipmoatic answer. And for the recorld the ENterprise was ment to be in "What U leave behind" (Final DS9 Epsode) when they went for cardissia but the scene was cut. Well thats whati herd I agree the Enterprise wouldent have been in the major battles. She would have most likly be protecting Earth with the 3rd Fleet acting as the last line of defance. So when the breen attacked she would have kisked some Butt. How many Soverigen ships were in service then? 2 or 3? Soverign, Enterprise and ...............?

Gaeamil
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Gaeamil » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:33 pm

hmmm... either Janeway or Kirk... if I had to choose just 1... hmmm... forget it. Janeway & Kirk is my choice.

The-Great-White-Fro
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by The-Great-White-Fro » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:51 pm

Definately not Picard, hes FRENCH, and the french are COWARDS
"Cry Havoc, and let slip the dogs of war." -Mark Antony, Julius Caeser, Act II , scene iii

Current Commander of the Nova Class, USS Mosquito in the BC mod FBCMP