Who is the best Star Trek captain?

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

pcfan
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by pcfan » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:55 am

Yes :D. Go Sisko!

Zered003
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Zered003 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:51 am

Ok, Now you can't hold the fact that Picard is French against him. Here is why, Star Trek is an optimistic outlook on the future. So, I guess Gene thought the French would accually grow a back bone. Another thing to think about is that only through mistakes can we learn how to better ourselves. So, maybe the French finaly made so many mistakes AND learned from them that they became the great strategic minds in the Federation. That is if you learn from mistakes. Ofcourse isn't that what Star Trek is all about? Improving ourselves.

captainparanoid
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Best captain? No contest!!

Post by captainparanoid » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:08 pm

oh.
Last edited by captainparanoid on Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:44 pm

I agree, Kirk is the ultimate Star Trek cowboy captain - through what he went through (losing Spock, then his son and the Enterprise), he still kicked a lot of butt! But every captain has their advantages. Picard seems to make the law work for him, as he plays by the book but does a lot of things that you and I wouldn't do (like ramming the behemoth dreadnought Reman Scimitar in Nemesis). Of course, that's when he had no other option! I think that everyone has the potential to become something great, but those who do become great don't do it to become great - they do it to survive. That's what Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway, and many other captains in Starfleet were about - that's what makes them great captains - doing whatever they have to to survive. I'll never quite be completely sure who would be best captain, but I think Captain Kirk is the best.

newbieofallnewbs
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

just make a hologram of a super captain

Post by newbieofallnewbs » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:59 am

all those captains suck, really if federation really had a terrible threat they can just make a hologram of picards, siskos, kirk, and janeways, and archers, brain and make a super captain. janeway knows how to survive and dealed with the devil, picard is like a politice, sisko, weill i dont know about sisko, and archer can think fast just not smart, and kirk with his tricky mouth and saying can convience or outsmart more supieror beings.

Numbazix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Numbazix » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:05 am

The-Great-White-Fro wrote:Definately not Picard, hes FRENCH, and the french are COWARDS
Yeah, but you're talking about this time in history, not Picard's time in history. Picard was best for his particular time as Kirk was in his.
Zix
Master of all I survey--wheres my glasses?

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:27 am

Great point, Numbazix!

The-Great-White-Fro
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by The-Great-White-Fro » Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:57 am

I'd have to say Mackenzie Calhoun from Peter David's New Frontier books because he has all the good qualities of all of the captains (except picard, who has NO good qualities), plus he liberated his PLANET from oppessive masters at the age of 19
"Cry Havoc, and let slip the dogs of war." -Mark Antony, Julius Caeser, Act II , scene iii

Current Commander of the Nova Class, USS Mosquito in the BC mod FBCMP

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:15 pm

Wow! That would be the perfect captain for the Enterprise-F!

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:45 am

Once and for all Kirk, dammit, Kirk! :roll:

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:27 am

Yeah, it's sort of like determining who the best person in the world is - there are a lot of people who are great or possibly the best at something different from what other people are. It's really an opinion-based thing. Kirk is the best because he's the first Trek Captain. Picard is the best because he is the one who emphasizes the value of bettering one-self and he is the diplomat until it comes to survival - then he rams the Enterprise into the Scimitar and kicks butt. Sisko is the best to some because he went into battle in the Defiant against like 1000 Dominion Dreadnoughts. Janeway may be the best to some (possibly) because she made it through Borg space with a little tiny Intrepid class ship (making it through Borg space with an Excalibur class ship would be exceedingly tough). Some captains, such as Calhoun, are very early-learned people who did great stuff early on in their lives. Some may consider Archer the best because he is fighting for the sake of both Earth and the Xindi. Every Captain can be considered the best in someone's opinion.
Time and ability are two of the factors that can make any one of those captains appear to be the best. My final ultimate choice would be Kirk, but there is no way of summing up the known and unknown variables of what is considered the best to make any real analytical determination. That especially applies to humans - logic cannot determine anything about humans because logic is not the basis of human life. The Vulcans may have an easier time deciding who their best captain is since Vulcans do not have as many 'differences' in logic (though they are themselves not fully immune to illogical decisions and thoughts - not to mention emotion).
Who is the most popular? Since Kirk was the first introduced, he has produced the largest popularity as a Star Trek Captain. I think the phrase "who is the most popular" is also a question at stake here. Just as we in our emotional attachment to loved ones would support those loved ones even sometimes when they don't make the perfect decisions, we also associate with those who aren't perfect (and as humans, none of us are). Who is the most legendary captain is also a question at stake - as Kirk appears to some to be the best because of their latent dreams of being a space cowboy (like Kirk). Picard's diplomacy and need for bettering himself is something that makes him legendary (and thus the best captain to some). But they are all diplomats at one time and cowboys at the other. When thinking about the benefit of all, they are diplomats. And when it comes to survival, they are cowboys. And for cowboys, it's one risk they will take against a larger risk. Sometimes thinking illogically is the only logical choice in the case of humans. That's as analytical of an analysis that one could come up with when considering something that is based on opinion. So in conclusion, I will always choose Kirk because of my own human predalection for opinion! :D

jnddepew
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by jnddepew » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:49 am

ha ha, get LOCUTUS AND THE BORG QUEEN to go all alone in one little borg scout

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:50 pm

Ha! lol :lol:

USS_Nova
Ensign