Star Trek XI Announced

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

Alohaman
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Alohaman » Fri May 07, 2004 9:19 am

Just to say that impossible is not a word but an excuse that people use when they don't want to do something.

People say that warp speed is impossible, that we would need a sheild on a ship that would take up an immense amount of power because even a little piece of stone could wreck the ship. I say why don't they try to make a sheild that vaporizes little bits like that not reflect them, I think that's possible to do, but the thing is, nobody trys to think about it, they just automatically say its impossible. Prove me wrong ya lazy scientists :P
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest."

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Fri May 07, 2004 9:34 am

I actually did a great deal of research into traveling faster than the speed of light and shielding and stuff for Parallels (Which should air next year)

I came to the conclusion that in order to travel past the speed light takes in one year (IE Light speed) you need to generate an imense gravity field (3 times that more than a blackhole) and generate energy that the equivilant of the energy 12 Nuclear explosions create every second which is about the same amount of electrical energy Earth uses in one year.

As for the deflector shielding more energy would be required to generate a bubble that would protect the vessel by merging spacetime. This is what generates the "Stretching" seen on DS9, Voyager and Enterprise (It is a new concept that sorta came about half way though The Next Generation) This bubble of "space-time" would make the ship 'lighter' than light itself and would also accomidate for severe thrust.

We can't do this untill we find an energy fuel that can create a huge amount of energy.

So it is impossible at the moment until we find a fuel that can be used in fusion to generate the required energy output

Adam

SylakOfBorg
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by SylakOfBorg » Fri May 07, 2004 12:00 pm

Um... on the topic that this was orignaly created on, I would really love to see a move that ended the Federation, so Viacom can't continue to ruin the brand. That, and i would love to see how the Federation would finaly use Timeships in combat, because the TMP prevents them from doing like the Krennin did in the Voyager Eppisode. We know the Federation survies to the 24th century, but do they get to the 25th Centuray without havign a big internal or external conflich that causes the end of the Federation, or even the end of Humans and/or Vulcans? and me=liked Insurection.

Josh
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Josh » Fri May 07, 2004 2:19 pm

I like the idea of the Federation being ended in a movie in the way that it would be different. However, where would the resolution be? When would that resolution come? I'd still like to see the TNG crew back again for one last shot at a movie that can actually take the subtitle, "the end of a generation." I'd say allow TNG crew to say goodbye like the TOS crew did in Star Trek VI, The Undiscovered Country. Not to say that the situation would be the same, but somehow reveal the message TUC did - that message was - captains come and captains go, ships come and ships go, the Federation or at least humanity will continue to exist for an undefined period of time, maybe years, decades, centuries, or eons. To do this, the Enterprise-E would have to be heading to starbase for decommission like the Enterprise-A was in The Undiscovered Country. Or it could be that Picard is retiring and someone else including a new crew will take his place and continue what was started. The saga could then be ended - that end being the beginning of peace in the Federation. It could be assumed that after that movie at some time there would be another war, but the basic rule of the last movie is that everything considering the crew and the Enterprise-E was resolved. The last scene could be of the former crew of the Enterprise departing to their homeworlds from the Enterprise - an ending kind of like Lord of the Rings: Return of the King! After that, the last shot would be of ships departing in different directions, taking the crew to their homeworlds. Meanwhile, the Enterprise is in the orbit of Earth with its new crew. A shipyard or two along with a starbase could be included. With the old crew departing in different vessels, the Enterprise would engage warp drive and leave Earth for its continuing mission.
At that end, Picard could say his famous line, "Space...the Final Fronteir...these are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise...its continuing mission: to explore strange, new worlds, to seek out new lifeforms and civilizations...to boldly go where no one has gone before!" Must I mention that all of this must be accompanied by a fitting soundtrack. Sometimes what a good movie needs is an excellent soundtrack to make it a great movie! If Star Trek XI is a prequel movie, then Star Trek XII could take off where Star Trek X left off, as long as the prequel movie doesn't sink Star Trek.
I really hope to see at least one more TNG-era movie before that era ends. At least the era would end honorably as the TOS-era crew ended. In future movies, a new era can begin. There may be cameos of Picard, Riker, and some of the other crew once in a while (like when Scotty appeared on the TNG episode "Relics"). As long as TNG era ends honorably, Star Trek should remain secure for another 10 years. If the prequel movie crashes the industry, neither Star Trek Enterprise nor the Star Trek movies continue, at least not for a long time. We can only hope they think of a good plot, soundtrack, and good action for Star Trek XI!

Wok
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Wok » Fri May 07, 2004 8:44 pm

Yes, if another is made at least we can realistically expect a good soundtrack.

an ending kind of like Lord of the Rings: Return of the King!
LOL: There where about four endings...

TrashMan
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by TrashMan » Sat May 08, 2004 2:03 am

Phantom wrote: 1. A shield is simply a barrier of Energy depending on the energy modulation the shield could withstand whatever energy it was thrown at. This wouldnt protect from solid masses though, only energy beams

2. Scientists at the end of the 1900's I think it was 99 were able to transport light from one room to another. To transport a human. the computer power and nuclear power required would be extreme. The computer would have to know the co-ordinates of every atom in your body to comile you again

3. Not a lot I can say

4. Who knows what is out there. There could be polymometic alloys in the form of sentient beings, Impossible is a word humans use far to often

5. Time travel may exist but we'd be unaware of it

6. Communicators are possible. Hospitals are testing them. And look at Mobile Phones (Cell Phones) they are getting so small now-a-days that they could pass as a communicator

Adam
I must correct myself... I didn't mean communicators, I ment Universal Translator.

And one more thing - the thing I wrote are just an analysis of ST universe. They are not a conviction or a attack on ST...

As far as the scientific aspect is concerened:
I do belive that a person with more diplomas and awards in physics who is leading a collosal project knows more than you Phantom(no offense meant). Even if he didn't I haven't consulted only him. Let's just say I know lot's of people on lot's of places...

I didn't go into a more broad explenation of why the thins mentioned are impossible, since I didn't have the materails with me, and I didn't have time or will to write it anyway.
Suffice to say that:

1. i never said shields are impossible. I only said that they can't be devided into quadrants and that they can only protect from one type of energy AT A TIME...

2. Yes, a foton has been sucessfully transported. But a photon is quite a different thing than a atom or molecule. From all I've been told about it by those scientists, such a thing is not possible (the Heisenberg principle). Even if it were, it would require astronomical ammounts of procesing power and energy.. And even if that was available there still is a question of can a living beeing be transported? If your body is dissasembeled into molecules (and a disruptor or phaser does the same), shouldn't you be dead? All brain acitivity has stopped..all organs are gone... And what about the soul?

3. Sorry to burst your (time)bubble, but time travel IS impossible (Heisenberg principle again).

4. Agian, energy lifeforems and shapechanger like Odo are impossible.
Do I really need to write down several laws of psysics out here to prove it?
Odo changes mass, density and volume! Any such action would require MASSIVE ammounts of energy..and shapechangers don't eat or drink..Perpetuum mobile anyone? On the other hand, wh nhe takes the shape of a human do you really think his skin feels like real shik, or clothes fel like real clothes? Human hands are the most touch sensitive areas. How can the fluidic mass of which they are built take on atomic properties of other things. The distincitve matle shine, for instance. The only way to do that is if he changed his molecularatmic structure. And that would require even more energy...several nucler reactirs worth of enery if I'm not mistakn...

5. I knew I forgot something! I forgot to ask them about warp speed!...
While I do belive that faster-than-light travel is possbile, I have evidence that can prove such a thing. There is no known phenomena in space that travels faster than light, but we only know such a small ammont of space....
We did, however, talk about antimatter. As dr. Puljak informed me, they are trying to contain antimatter with a magnetic field. So far, the energy required to produce antimatter is greater than the energy that can be gained from it.

--------------
What I wrote about flaws and plot holes and inconsistencies in ST (DS9 and VOY in particular) are FACTS supported by PROOF. They cannot be altered by discussion.
Now, some ST fans probably didn't notice them, others went over them... People are entilted to love whatever they want.
If someone loves a sT musicle, where Picartd is a two-headed ogre, Data mowes down Klingons in a blak jacket, black glasses and with a minigun, and Worf shoots torps out of his behind - that's fine with me...
Everyone is free to ignore or go over flaws. However, judging something without taking such flaws into consideration - that is subjective oppinion.

I've tried to take everything into consideration. Overall, the St univere is a great thing to watch, alltough the TOS and TNG are by far the best..
And that is as Objective as possible...
USS Apocalypse
*I let my Phaser Cannon do the talking!*

Cpt_Geddes
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Cpt_Geddes » Sat May 08, 2004 4:08 am

I believe faster than light travel is possible. Just because humanity can't do something, doesn't mean that its impossible. It was thought that the world was flat, it was thought that the sound barrier couldn't be broken, it was thought if you travelled faster than 100mph you would be squashed to a pulp. All these things have been proved wrong. We just don't have the technology to travel faster than light but I belive we will, eventually.

Anyway, I don't really like the sound of another TNG crew film. The crew has split up, data's dead, Riker (who is actually called William Troi now) and Deanna have their own ship. If anyone has the Nemesis DVD, watch the deleted scenes and you will see a good scene where the new 1st officer arrives and the E-E goes off exploring again. I would like to see Picard be promoted to Admiral as he has saved the federation plenty of times and has been a captain for a long time. Another thought for a ST film is if some of the other ST races joined the federation, like the klingons, romulans, cardassians and perhaps the breen, so the United Federation of Planets became the Galactic Federation of Planets or something. Also it'd be nice to hear what happened to the Dominion and the Gorn so that we would have cannon details instead of people argueing over non-cannon facts, like the Gorn joining the Dominion.

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Sat May 08, 2004 5:07 am

Wasnt it said in a TOS episode that the Gorn was predicted to be extinct some point between Star Trek 4 and Star Trek 5?

Although they said that about the Romulans and it was believed until they destroyed the Enterprise-C and the Khitomer senate where Worfs father was killed dishonorably

Adam

TrashMan
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by TrashMan » Sat May 08, 2004 6:55 am

Cpt_Geddes wrote:I believe faster than light travel is possible. Just because humanity can't do something, doesn't mean that its impossible. It was thought that the world was flat, it was thought that the sound barrier couldn't be broken, it was thought if you travelled faster than 100mph you would be squashed to a pulp. All these things have been proved wrong. We just don't have the technology to travel faster than light but I belive we will, eventually.
Erm...that was before the scientfic method was introduced. Now we can indeed say that SOME things are in fact impossible with 100% certinty..
For others we cannot. Faster-than-člight travel might be possible. I never disputed that..
USS Apocalypse

Alohaman
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

About time travel...

Post by Alohaman » Sat May 08, 2004 7:59 am

You said something about a Heisenburg principle right? Well, I'm here to say a little thing about time travel...

Just because a scientist said something or made experiments with outdated technology (technology does eventualy become more sophisticated you know) doesn't mean he is always right. Take the issue of Aristotle and Galileo, Aristotle said a lot of things and people believed him because he was a high Roman priest. When Galileo experimented with new technology he proved that most of Aristotle's theory's were wrong.
(Yes the scientific method was around then, Galileo developed it)

Same with today, newer technologies are being developed. People thought we couldn't get people on Mars, but now scientists are developing technology to do so. Also about time travel, when some people dream they are able to see the future then remember it by Deja Vu. Doesn't this count somewhat like timetravel.
I would like to see Picard be promoted to Admiral as he has saved the federation plenty of times and has been a captain for a long time
He won't, Kirk told him not to because being a captain had a purpose, Admirals did nothing but paperwork.

Remember: Nothing is impossible when somebody puts their mind to it.

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

xxxxx
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by xxxxx » Sat May 08, 2004 8:29 am

I agree, lets get back to the film.

TrashMan
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by TrashMan » Sat May 08, 2004 8:34 am

Again, that was allso before the real scientific method...and technology nad equipment today are precise enough for us to make accurate mesurments and calculations.

Time travel the way ST shows is is impossible.
A single timeline is 1000000000% impossible.

Alltouhg if you travel fast enough, time pases slower for you than for someone that stands still. In theory, if you stood still and I travled at light speed for a Year, bythe time I get back you would be 30 years older..
Alltough that isn't really time travel 8the trip isn't instantanious and you're not outside the happenings around you during the trafvel)...and it goes ONLY one way
USS Apocalypse

Alohaman
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Alohaman » Sat May 08, 2004 9:44 am

Again, that was allso before the real scientific method...and technology nad equipment today are precise enough for us to make accurate mesurments and calculations.
No it wasn't :o , this was exactly when the scientific method was made, it works every single way scientists use today. I know this because our class in school studied the Renaissance and I already had known about the scientific method.

Phantom is right, time travel does exist but people would be unaware unless they did it themselves. The principle of "I have to see it with my own eyes for it to be true" is what more scientists and people today use.

Just a funny thing though is 1000000000%, that is impossible lol :) [/b]

TrashMan
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by TrashMan » Sat May 08, 2004 11:06 am

We have learned much since the Renessance, didn't we?

Time travel? O.k. - If you think you're smarter than practicly every serious scientist in the world....

And yes, pigs can fly...

Oh...how do you know that 1000000% is impossible? Maby it is but you're not anaware of it?
USS Apocalypse

Alohaman
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Alohaman » Sat May 08, 2004 12:56 pm

Maybe this should be locked now, because that was downright rude and I too was also out of line so I apoligize.

But all I did was state my opinion to you, you didn't have to bite my head off.

It's true I may not be a scientist, but I know enough to tell them that they should quit acting lazy and prove in every way possible before they call something impossible.

Okay that clear? Let's get back to discussion of the movie shall we...