Deep Space Nine vs. Babylon 5... Who's better?

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Deep Space Nine vs. Babylon 5... Who's better?

Post by odyssey » Fri May 14, 2004 8:57 am

This subject was mentioned on another thread so kudos to who started it. There has been always been a great debate over the years who has the better show. I don't know if this was ever debated on AFC, so I might be opening a can of worms with this, but...

Being a ST fan, I'm a little bias on this, but base upon a few random criterias...

1) production values... goes to DS9. With a near 2 mil per episode, they get alot of bang for their bucks. Better looking sets, costumes,and special effects. With a third of a budget, B5 does just okay here... nothing to write about except the use of CGI -some good/ alot bad.

2) Stories... this is a tough call. DS9 has a better variety of stories while B5 has a more complex ongoing story arc. However, DS9 war arc serves as a backdrop to the main stories which are about the characters. The focus on B5 is the war arc first and character stories second. Though, B5 does incorporate more sci-fi driven ideas into their plots. I would call it a draw here.

3) Ships design... DS9 wins handsdown. Is there any better or cooler looking ships in all of sci-fi then the Fed starships? The ship designs on B5 leaves alot to be desire - except for the Vorlon and Shadow motherships - which the less said, the better.

4) The acting... goes to DS9. The caliber of the acting and actors on DS9 is heads above B5. A majority of the DS9 actors are theater trained and where their story's intimate focus is always on the characters... they always deliver lively performances. You will have to if you are playing Klingons. :) S

5) Characters, primary and secondary... goes to DS9. DS9 has created some of the most memorable characters in ST history with performances to match like Garak, Dulkat, Weyoun, Quark...etc., On B5, other than the loud ambassadors , what other characters really stood out that made an unforgettable impression. Sisko versus Sheridan? You be the judge. :wink:

6)Pettiness... goes to B5's exec prod MJS. Even if you have disagreements about the who came up with similar story concepts, you don't bash your rival before the debut and even incorprating it on your show, especially if you are trying win the very same viewers who watch ST to watch yours.

7) DS9 universe versus B5... specifically Fed ships vs Alliance ships... no contest... DS9 wins BIG! With their deflector shields , maneverablity, warp and transporter technology would easily overwhelm and run over alliance ships.

Alright, let the zings, arrows and bashing begin... :)

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Fri May 14, 2004 10:39 am

ok this is going to serve as a warning to all who will post

there will be no flaming other members allowed and please lets be civilized bout this

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey » Fri May 14, 2004 12:53 pm

:oops: Oops! I meant to imply a spiritual debate. Wrong choice of words. No offense intended.

rodglas
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by rodglas » Fri May 14, 2004 2:53 pm

I enjoyed Babylon 5 more then DS9, but DS9 still kicked butt.

I also believe that the Whitestar would rape the Defiant.

Rod.

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Fri May 14, 2004 3:10 pm

*sigh*

Two seperate franchises, two seperate sci-fi series, two seperate universe comparisons.

End reault. The arguements mute. Both are good for their own reasons and both are also bade for their own reasons.

AFC
Site Founder
Site Founder

Post by AFC » Fri May 14, 2004 9:01 pm

MajorPayne wrote:*sigh*

Two seperate franchises, two seperate sci-fi series, two seperate universe comparisons.

End reault. The arguements mute. Both are good for their own reasons and both are also bade for their own reasons.
I must agree with major each shows has it high points and low points but there both great shows.

Atlantis
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Atlantis » Sat May 15, 2004 2:10 am

Yes, as MaP said, they are totally different styles, and each have their own perks and shytes, but on thoe whole id say i enjoy Babylon-5's style a hell of a lot more.

Wok
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Wok » Sat May 15, 2004 3:16 am

LOL...

Can't quite believe someone made this thread.

1) production values... goes to DS9. With a near 2 mil per episode, they get alot of bang for their bucks. Better looking sets, costumes,and special effects. With a third of a budget, B5 does just okay here... nothing to write about except the use of CGI -some good/ alot bad.
Yes, there is alot bad... in both. Yet B5 was always about story, not CGI.
Ds9 was better in production terms... but only because of a bigger budget, and it is more recent.

B5 was more true to science as well. Some ships had no gravity!

2) Stories... this is a tough call. DS9 has a better variety of stories while B5 has a more complex ongoing story arc. However, DS9 war arc serves as a backdrop to the main stories which are about the characters. The focus on B5 is the war arc first and character stories second. Though, B5 does incorporate more sci-fi driven ideas into their plots. I would call it a draw here.
Not quite, I think.

-B5 was the first success to use the story arc idea. DS9 did nothing so original, in fact it seemed to plaugarize this idea from the other show.
-DS9 is alot more reliant on plot devices. Similar to all Trek really. In fact DS9 'borrowed' the idea of having a small, powerful ship which could take the action away from the station. This was a plot device used in both.
-Character changing was a B5 first too really. A great example being G'Kar and Londo.

This is not to say that B5 was exclusivly arced: it wasn't.
Also, DS9 did have some very good stories and set ups, with some quite intelligent moral-fables. However, when compared, DS9 pales slightly as Babylon 5 (despite being preachy in parts) was overall better written. Think about plot holes...

3) Ships design... DS9 wins handsdown. Is there any better or cooler looking ships in all of sci-fi then the Fed starships? The ship designs on B5 leaves alot to be desire - except for the Vorlon and Shadow motherships - which the less said, the better.
This is just subjective. Very very biased towards personal preferances. Frankly, the Earth Alliance ships are far more realistic. Some designs of B5 are dodgy, agreed, but I believe they are great at representing the races overall. Remember the Shadow ships? Remember the Centauri? ditto for the Minbari.

DS9 design was good for the series too. But I was dissapointed in the samey overused design of the Dominion battleships and cruisers. The bugship is a good design though. And we all remember the Breen and Neghvar... !!

4) The acting... goes to DS9. The caliber of the acting and actors on DS9 is heads above B5. A majority of the DS9 actors are theater trained and where their story's intimate focus is always on the characters... they always deliver lively performances. You will have to if you are playing Klingons.
Hahaha. I think the words for the 'lively' performances are clichéd and sterotypical.

"RAR! Look I'm a klingon!"

LOL.
DS9 had some very nice acting... From afew people, like this Cardassian guy who loses his daughter et al. (well, he and the script at least put his character in more depth...)

Even under all the latex costmes the DS9 people could put out a great performance. I do not prefer either show in the acting department myself.

5) Characters, primary and secondary... goes to DS9. DS9 has created some of the most memorable characters in ST history with performances to match like Garak, Dulkat, Weyoun, Quark...etc., On B5, other than the loud ambassadors , what other characters really stood out that made an unforgettable impression. Sisko versus Sheridan? You be the judge.
B5 was more serious in dealing with its... darker content matter. However, I do agree with you mostly. I'd have to watch most of them again though.

...don't think the people should be judged purely on 'how-memorable' they are.

6)Pettiness... goes to B5's exec prod MJS. Even if you have disagreements about the who came up with similar story concepts, you don't bash your rival before the debut and even incorprating it on your show, especially if you are trying win the very same viewers who watch ST to watch yours.
I would be mad if PARAMOUNT/Star Trek ripped off my ideas too. No wonder the B5 people refered to ST series as 'Deep Space Franchise'.

7) DS9 universe versus B5... specifically Fed ships vs Alliance ships... no contest... DS9 wins BIG! With their deflector shields , maneverablity, warp and transporter technology would easily overwhelm and run over alliance ships.
SHADOWS VORLONS MINBARI.

...and lets not forget the First-ones. DS9 would last about as long as an ant at a arrdvark party.

Atlantis
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Re: Deep Space Nine vs. Babylon 5... Who's better?

Post by Atlantis » Sat May 15, 2004 7:32 am

odyssey wrote:7) DS9 universe versus B5... specifically Fed ships vs Alliance ships... no contest... DS9 wins BIG! With their deflector shields , maneverablity, warp and transporter technology would easily overwhelm and run over alliance ships.
Pah, poncy. Whats the point in having threatening enemies if you can just go "ooh look i have a magic shield, which i can turn on and off as the plot requires." B5 is a LOT more down-to-earth, if youll pardon the opportunity of a pun, with ships with ARMOUR (though the Defiant was eventually fitted with armour.... a SKIN-THICK ablative armoud), and roatating sections to provide gravity, until the ISA was formed. Makes sense to me.
And transporters? Makes life too easy, although it does lead to some interesting plot devices, like the phasing, and the tranporter-aliens. :s

And put simply, the Dominion War arc was written because DS9 was crashing and burning, because it was boring to most people. Not me, of course, i'm easily impressed. :)

morthamp
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by morthamp » Sat May 15, 2004 7:33 am

The B5 universe would win any day :lol: :lol:

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey » Sat May 15, 2004 7:59 am

It sounds like a majority of ST fans at AFC is in favor of B5 over DS9? A bit of a surprise considering how little attention B5 gets in mainstream media coverage in the states. Overseas, like in England, they go ga-ga over B5... guess it's more in line with their type of Sc-fi storytelling.

Cpt_Geddes
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Cpt_Geddes » Sat May 15, 2004 7:42 pm

You can't compare the technical aspects of DS9 and B5 as they are completely different from one another. I've only seen a few B5 episodes and they were so bad I didn't watch any other B5 episodes since. The acting is a lot better on DS9 and the first time I saw DS9 I remembered their names easily but I can't remember any of the B5 crew, whats his name Sherman or something? I don't know whether your English Odyssey but I didn't know B5 existed untill I was flicking through the channels. I think its safe to say B5 is no where near as popular as ST in the UK.

Wok
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Wok » Sat May 15, 2004 10:33 pm

And put simply, the Dominion War arc was written because DS9 was crashing and burning, because it was boring to most people. Not me, of course, i'm easily impressed.
Damn straight. Ratings were going comparitivly crappy, so they did that and then they brought Worf on board... HAH!

- B5 is unheard of in England by the way. No one at my college has ever heard of it...

- Yes, the early B5 is BAD, but not entirely. Besides, by season 3 it had settled down and was consistently better than DS9. It made the Trek show look like a cheap, pale imitation of a superior original product.

(sorry... I like that phrase, lol)

Atlantis
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Atlantis » Sun May 16, 2004 12:50 am

Cpt_Geddes wrote:You can't compare the technical aspects of DS9 and B5 as they are completely different from one another.
Yeah, but the point of this thread isnt to ask people to compare the technical aspects. It's more simple, more like "Which one do you prefer?"
Cpt_Geddes wrote:....whats his name Sherman or something?
Sheridan ;)
Cpt_Geddes wrote:I think its safe to say B5 is no where near as popular as ST in the UK.
True, but in the UK a LOT of the Trekkies are also interested in B5, it just differs in the ratio between them.