Deep Space Nine vs. Babylon 5... Who's better?

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey » Sun May 16, 2004 5:19 am

I could be wrong about this, but they sell a few imported Sci-Fi mags like Dreamwatch at my local magazine hangout and I always had the impression B5 was very popular in the UK... considering how much coverage it receives... comparable to ST (50/50). In US mags, the ratio is more like 3 to 1.

No one in the UK has ever heard of B5? Your're pulling my leg right? Either that or those people in college or wherever may not read these Sci-Fi mags at all. :?

I presume B5's fan base may be the more smaller hard core variety who takes there Sci-Fi accuracy much more seriously(i.e. no crinkle nose, accented English speaking, humaniod aliens) . DS9 and ST as a whole is not real science based, but theories and speculations that would -if it serves it's needs -be now and then sacrificed for the sake of the story. Their fans are more broad base as the result.

Who's the say about who ripped off who? Can you dimiss the possiblity that different people may come up with similiar ideas without knowing it? We've all seen it happen before. TV history is littered with such occurances.
Though, I have to give B5 their props for their unpredictable storylines.

Here's a couple of gerenades to chew on:

Uniforms... HA! B5 bellhops vs. DS9 sleek ,cool purple duds... you decide.

Whitestar vs Defiant... cloaking device + transporter +quantum torps = KA BOOM! Yeah, get close, beam a torp in bridge and wave bye-bye. :D

morthamp
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by morthamp » Sun May 16, 2004 5:48 am

How do you know that the bio=armor will allow anything to be transported onto the whitestar? :)

morthamp
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by morthamp » Sun May 16, 2004 5:49 am

How do you know that the bio-armor will allow anything to be transported onto the whitestar? :)

Atlantis
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Atlantis » Sun May 16, 2004 9:23 am

Defiant has cloaking device. And it has to lower shields and cant fire when its being used. Whitestar has Minbari stealth technology, which would kinda make it hard to target. Plus its FAST. They both are.
Quantum torpedoes can smash up the skinny metal hulls of Dominion bugships and Borg science vessels (sphere), but against THICK Vorlon bio-regenerative armour? No way to tell.

There is no way to say how much damage a Quantum torpedo would do to the Whitestar, or how much effect the Minbari stealth tech would have on the Defiants sensors. There is just NO QUANTIFYABLE FACTS. Thats why people get sick of these "Omega v Intrepid" and "Whitestar v Defiant" things. This thread is about WHICH SERIES YOU PREFER.

And actually, i prefer B5's command uniforms to ST's jumpsuits. :)

Wok
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Wok » Sun May 16, 2004 10:40 pm

The whole point of this thread is to have an inane discussion though!

ahahahahaha. Palmer fo Prez.

-EDIT HACK DELETE-

EDIT- argh. What I really mean is that B5 doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Which, coincidently, is a good thing. Meh, they both are pretty good shows... its just that B5 (not knocking DS9 here) was the first one.

Besides, its all PARAMOUNT's fault anyway. Stupid company.

Atlantis
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Atlantis » Mon May 17, 2004 12:33 am

I sense that this discussion could turn into "Paramount v Warner Bros", lol :D

Wok
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Wok » Mon May 17, 2004 12:38 am

Not much of a contest. Warner haven't given B5 any support whatsoever. Hell, Paramount have given B5 more support! lol

GumpGoesToChina
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by GumpGoesToChina » Wed May 19, 2004 1:33 pm

I enjoy both shows. But for originality B5 beats DS9 hands down.

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Wed May 19, 2004 4:37 pm

lets keep it on topic shall we?

Atlantis
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Atlantis » Wed May 19, 2004 7:01 pm

What? When did this go off-topic?

Anywho, i remember there being a post a while back saying something along the lines of "it is possible for two people to have the same idea at different times, without copying one another".

If thats the case, surely a reasonable person would have said "no, im not going to sell out on a storyline that's already been done, because thats just sad. Maybe i should bring back the good storywriters from TNG, and get soem good content of my own".

But no, remember this is Berman we're talking about. It was mroe like "Wow theyve put an overpowered destroyer in there to guard the station, and so they can move storylines away from the confines of the station itself. *PLINK* I know, ill call it the USS Defiant!"

:D:D

[PS: Sorry for the ranting cyniclism, i've just got up]

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Wed May 11, 2005 3:15 pm

I actually prefer Babylon 5. I enjoyed the series so much that I actually cried when the station was blown up in the last episode.

P.S.: Babylon 5 hyperdrive beats Star Trek warp drive hands down.
"Until Hell calls my name!"

USS_Nova
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Nova » Wed May 11, 2005 4:35 pm

Well, B&B screwed up much things, but still if everything was copied in DS9 its still a very good show and my favorite Star Trek show.
Its been a while.

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Wed May 11, 2005 4:54 pm

Star Trek shifted from its roots as a drama series. In my opinion, the Babylon 5 series stayed true to its roots. These days, they are trying to make Star Trek appeal to a younger audience. Babylon 5, however, shows a great example of a war between two super races with god-like powers that have different philosphies. The Shadows believe in evolution through chaos, while the Vorlons believe in order and logic. I know of no similar conflict in the Star Trek world where two races were so diametrically opposed to one another.
"Until Hell calls my name!"

morthamp
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by morthamp » Wed May 11, 2005 7:45 pm

Babylon 5 all the way!! 8)

Majestic
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Majestic » Thu May 12, 2005 2:38 am

I don't want to get too involved in this, had some bad experence in the past. I will just say that I pefer Babylon 5 because of the better story and how the entire series was planned from the beginning and not rushed like DS9 espically in the end of season 7.

I also pefer the ship designs in Babylon 5 too, but the Defiant is pretty cool.