Could anyone pick out continuality mistakes in Enterprise?

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

wingsabre
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by wingsabre » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:43 pm

Gonwee wrote:I thought enterprise was suppose to be a remodernised startrek. Like the comunicator is cell phone sized and the thing on tos is alot bigger. And just becuase it has the word phase in it doesn't mean it is a phaser. It could just be a better version of a laser.
How could it be a modernized version of star trek when it takes place 100 years before? It has to have A LOT of crappy tech, unless the origional series is the "dark years" of Star Trek or it so happens that all knowledge of technology was reduce by 10 folds.

It also can not be a better version of a laser because they used lasers in TOS. The only reason and best reason for the usage of phase, to me is that the weapon they use probably phases out after distance or time. In other words the strength and quality of the weapon reduce over firing distance and over time and can be increased by just recharging. That theory is only a theory and it isn't proven or sited anywhere. It is the only way I could reason out this minor continuity "mistake" of Berman and Brag compared to the giant "mistakes" of theirs.

wingsabre
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by wingsabre » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:54 pm

• Romulan Wars begin between Earth forces and the Roman Star Empire. The war is fought with primitive atomic weapons, and the Romulan fleet is not even equipped with warp drive. Among the human causalities and several members of the Stiles family.
Date is conjecture from "Balance of Terror" (TOS). War ended about 100 years prior to episode; this date was four years prior to that. The conflict was described as being between Earth and the Romulans, suggesting that the United Federation of Planets did not exist at this point.
-Sited from the Premier Edition of Star Trek Omnipedia, which is a digital version of Star Trek Encyclopedia.

[Enterprise] The first of a new generation of warp 5 starships designed for long-term space travel and scientific discovery, launched in April of 2151 under the command of Captain Jonathan Archer.
–Taken from (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/l ... 23454.html)

One of the biggest mistakes of Berman and Brag was to make the Romulans too much technology in "Minefields." Assuming that Enterprise's second season was its second year voyage, the Earth Romulan war would start at its sixth season. This long and brutal drawn out war would most likely be finished in either a 2 part episode like the "Year of Hell" in Voyager or maybe even a whole season of Enterprise, not like Dominion conflict in DS9 which began early in the series and ended at the end.

I also have another query to bring up. Daniel said that the Xindi later becomes members of the Federation, when it is formed by Humans, Vulcans, Andorians and Tellerities. Would it not be reasonable to believe that species in the federation would believe in "what is mine is yours and yours is mines" so they would share technology? If this is so, then wouldn’t the Federation have short cuts in space travel, since the Xindi has the ability to travel from the Expanse to Earth in the matter of minutes; through that tunnel? Are we suppose to believe that the Federation ignored a more advanced technology for two centuries, and when Voyager was trapped, they chose not to use this old but more advanced technology? Even if the technology was not compatable with Starfleet they could have just borrowed a Xindi ship in the future or just modify it to work with Starfleet, after all they had two centuries to try. The Defiant had a year to adapt Romulan and Federation technology, Deep Space Nine had to adapt Federation and Cardassian technology, and it took them like 5 years to do so. Voyager adapted Borg and Federation technology in less than a year, but one could argue that Borg technology was made to be adaptable. Non-the less two years is a tone of time to adapt technology, after all if Ford could figured out that they should just use a Volkswagen diesel engine instead of spending the time to create their own, the Federation could just use a Xindi ship with Starfleet type controls installed. Maybe the writers/producers should think for once, or maybe they should hire writers/producers that haven't been rejected from other series.

wingsabre
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by wingsabre » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:23 pm

Phantom wrote:THE BORG
So Enterprise sealed the question that was created in the Next Generation which was aired in 1987
Adam
Nice, I bow down to your ability to connect the very rare times that the writers have answered unanswered questions. I was only one when that episode aired, and was in grade school when the reruns aired, so my attention for such details where limited. It would also reasonably explain why humans had such a low species number given by the borg while other delta quadrant species had larger ones.

This is probably one of the rare times that there was continuity, but then the writers of this episode were not Berman and Brag but was Mike Sussman and Phyllis Strong. That's some Strong writing.

I might research though to make sure that those clames are totally true, i doubt that it's false though, the writers were not Berman and Brag. The only reason to doubt that I could think of is that the Borg could have simply picked up radio signals from Earth and just started heading there. They've assimulated less advanced species before.
Last edited by wingsabre on Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt_Geddes
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Cpt_Geddes » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:25 pm

I don't really care about all these errors, the NX-01 would look poop if it looked the forerunner of the daedulus. If the NX-01 used lasers it would defeat the entire idea of why phasers were thought of. Who cares if the NX-01 has photons and transporters, they won't change it so just get over it and enjoy the series.

Alohaman, I forgot the encyclopedia has cannon facts, sorry.

wingsabre, there is no evidence that the romulans don't have warp drive, it was never stated that the Romulans didn't have warp drive. If the romulans didn't have warp drive, how could they set up a large empire, how did they get that far from vulcan without warp, how could they prove to be that much of a threat to the enterprise if the enterprise could easily out run it. What are those long nacelle type things on the wing tips of the BoP? It just doesn't make sense that the romulans don't have warp drive.

wingsabre
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by wingsabre » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:29 pm

Cpt_Geddes wrote: wingsabre, there is no evidence that the romulans don't have warp drive, it was never stated that the Romulans didn't have warp drive. If the romulans didn't have warp drive, how could they set up a large empire, how did they get that far from vulcan without warp, how could they prove to be that much of a threat to the enterprise if the enterprise could easily out run it. What are those long nacelle type things on the wing tips of the BoP? It just doesn't make sense that the romulans don't have warp drive.
I didn't write the Encyclopedia, that's what they stated, and since it's a cannon source, you can't shoot the messenger .

It could all be fixed with pushing the redo button. After all Berman and Brag has done the redo thing tons of time on Voyager.

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:34 pm

wingsabre wrote:
Phantom wrote:THE BORG
So Enterprise sealed the question that was created in the Next Generation which was aired in 1987
Adam
Nice, I bow down to your ability to connect the very rare times that the writers have answered unanswered questions. I was only one when that episode aired, and was in grade school when the reruns aired, so my attention for such details where limited. It would also reasonably explain why humans had such a low species number given by the borg while other delta quadrant species had larger ones.

This is probably one of the rare times that there was continuity, but then the writers of this episode were not Berman and Brag but was Mike Sussman and Phyllis Strong. That's some Strong writing.

I might research though to make sure that those clames are totally true, i doubt that it's false though, the writers were not Berman and Brag. The only reason to doubt that I could think of is that the Borg could have simply picked up radio signals from Earth and just started heading there. They've assimulated less advanced species before.

Shelby said that they analised the creaters from the new provence colony I think it was, the hull damage to the Enterprise and that of the nuetral zone and there was a borg signature (Refered to as a "Borg Footprint")

So that episode answered the 17 year question of how the Borg began assimilating worlds near the Federation and as you pointed out, why humanity is a low race number

Ad'

Mariner_Class
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Mariner_Class » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:26 am

wingsabre wrote:
Gonwee wrote:I thought enterprise was suppose to be a remodernised startrek. Like the comunicator is cell phone sized and the thing on tos is alot bigger. And just becuase it has the word phase in it doesn't mean it is a phaser. It could just be a better version of a laser.
How could it be a modernized version of star trek when it takes place 100 years before? It has to have A LOT of crappy tech, unless the origional series is the "dark years" of Star Trek or it so happens that all knowledge of technology was reduce by 10 folds.

It also can not be a better version of a laser because they used lasers in TOS. The only reason and best reason for the usage of phase, to me is that the weapon they use probably phases out after distance or time. In other words the strength and quality of the weapon reduce over firing distance and over time and can be increased by just recharging. That theory is only a theory and it isn't proven or sited anywhere. It is the only way I could reason out this minor continuity "mistake" of Berman and Brag compared to the giant "mistakes" of theirs.
Actually, phase cannons arent a mistake: they actually support text right out of the TNGTM.

In the book, Rick wrote that the word "Phaser" was actually a holdover term used to refer to the modern day nadion-based weapons the Federation now uses. The actual, more primitive relatives of the phaser used a "phasing" effect.

Guess what this means? It supports the weapons used in ENT, and actually bolsters the canon status of that section of the TNGTM. So, at least for this small detail, they got it right.

Besides, the Encyclopedia is actually one of the most innacurate, unreliable, and outdated sources of information for Star Trek. Obviously, the Romulans DID have some from of warp drive in "Balance of Terror," as seen in the nacelles. Gene would've NEVER allowed a sublight ship to carry such nacelles: so the BoP had FTL ability.

However, Scotty did say that the ship was powered by "simple impulse." However, he did not say that it was LIMITED to sublight speeds. Although less efficient, it has been shown that Warp Drive can be powered by Fission and Fusion reactions as seen in First Contact. It is very possible that the Romulans were either already working on their Quantum Singularity Drives and did not have the technology ready by then, or that they had less advanced technology than the Federation. Both the latter and the former additionally support the technological "alliance" seen in "The Enterprise Incident," were early V-11 "Stormbirds" (FASA designation for Romulan D7's) intercepted the Enterrpise. Obviously, they got the ships from somewhere; either by theft or exchange.

If they were stolen, would they risk destoyring or damaging their new "prizes" aginst the Federations most powerful ship at the time? I think that the Klingon accuring cloaking technology in ST3 serves to say that there was some kind of "exchange."
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan Noonien Singh

wingsabre
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by wingsabre » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:57 am

Mariner_Class wrote:
wingsabre wrote:

Actually, phase cannons arent a mistake: they actually support text right out of the TNGTM.

In the book, Rick wrote that the word "Phaser" was actually a holdover term used to refer to the modern day nadion-based weapons the Federation now uses. The actual, more primitive relatives of the phaser used a "phasing" effect.

Guess what this means? It supports the weapons used in ENT, and actually bolsters the canon status of that section of the TNGTM. So, at least for this small detail, they got it right.

Besides, the Encyclopedia is actually one of the most innacurate, unreliable, and outdated sources of information for Star Trek. Obviously, the Romulans DID have some from of warp drive in "Balance of Terror," as seen in the nacelles. Gene would've NEVER allowed a sublight ship to carry such nacelles: so the BoP had FTL ability.

However, Scotty did say that the ship was powered by "simple impulse." However, he did not say that it was LIMITED to sublight speeds. Although less efficient, it has been shown that Warp Drive can be powered by Fission and Fusion reactions as seen in First Contact. It is very possible that the Romulans were either already working on their Quantum Singularity Drives and did not have the technology ready by then, or that they had less advanced technology than the Federation. Both the latter and the former additionally support the technological "alliance" seen in "The Enterprise Incident," were early V-11 "Stormbirds" (FASA designation for Romulan D7's) intercepted the Enterrpise. Obviously, they got the ships from somewhere; either by theft or exchange.

If they were stolen, would they risk destoyring or damaging their new "prizes" aginst the Federations most powerful ship at the time? I think that the Klingon accuring cloaking technology in ST3 serves to say that there was some kind of "exchange."
The Romulans had warp in "Balance of Terror," it was obvious that they did. They did not in the Earth Romulan war. If you believe that Star Trek Encyclopedia is filled with inaccuracies, then go ahead, since it has information directly from production, Gene Roddenberry, and Rick Berman. Too bad everything in it is OFFICAL, and it is not out of date since there is always a new edition, probably backed up by Berman himself. The recent edition was the October 1999 edition.

Cpt_Geddes
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Cpt_Geddes » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:11 am

How could the Romulans not have had warp in the romulan war. How can they form such a large empire without warp drive, and how can the romulans prove such a threat. Earth ships would be one step ahead of romulan forces. By the time the romulans send reinforcements to a star system, the reinforcements would be seriousley out of date. If they didn't have warp drive how could they possibly travel that far from Vulcan in the time between their departure and the war, let alone sustain an empire. I don't remember any cannon sources saying the romulans didn't have warp drive.

sgtrevill
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by sgtrevill » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:14 am

Ive only got 3 words to say !!!!!!!ITS NOT REAL!!!!!!

Don't just watch enterprise or any Star trek and start say thats wrong this is wrong blar blar blar!!!!

Just enjoy it for what it is!!!

A Si-fi progam for the hole family to watch and its for all age's!

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:50 am

lets be more civil plzs

thx u :)

Phantom
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Phantom » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:27 am

My phasers on stun, how bout urs Cecil

Im not a huge fan of TOS to be honist, hell the last time I watched it was like 1991 or something. but there is a line where enjoyment and a back seat viewer comes in.

Okay so Enterprise has errors in it, so did the rest of the series, such as The Next Generations' Yesterday's Enterprise where it shot a Klingon Bird of Prey cloaked and it didnt do any damage, even though it destroyed a decloaked one seconds before that had full shields

but yeah, I think it is hitting the point of being enjoyable and just degrading it now to be honist as your so determined to bring it down and dont really care on views presented - hmmm perhaps you should apply for a career in politics

Just watch n enjoy and stop putting it down :/

Ad

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:01 am

Phantom wrote:My phasers on stun, how bout urs Cecil
Ad
my are on heavy Stun.........and i like to say before it starts Flaming other members IS NOT ALLOWED!! ok :)

thx u :)