The Lord of the Rings vs Harry Potter

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

TheNagusTaki
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

The Lord of the Rings vs Harry Potter

Post by TheNagusTaki » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:59 am

Who would win. Think really hard about what powers and possibilitys. I would like to see who would win and if people will discuss this we could come up to a winner. Me personally I would say Lord of the Rings if no one else will argue with me.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:34 pm

I would sort of have to go ahead and agree! The question of who would win can be considered in the differences between both.

01. In LOTR, the elves and Gandalf and Sauron didn't need magic wands to use their power - they just did it!

02. 300 men of Rohan plus Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli against 10,000 Uruk-hai - and the good guys win! Pretty potent fighting force! Harry Potter fought like 15 demons in the third movie - that's pretty cool too, but LOTR is a more of an against the odds thing while Harry Potter is about a kid with wizard abilities who can change a dog into a smurf :P .

03. In LOTR, the power of common sense is emphasized more than superhuman strength - and the power of common sense won a war that a bunch of Harry Potters couldn't do with just magic alone. Magic takes some kind of special wizard special energy and common sense and wisdom (like Gandalf's) do not require a source of energy. The powers of the Elves and Wizards (and, of course, Sauron) are derived from the Gods (called the Valar). The powers of Harry Potter are derived from a limited source. Perhaps when Harry Potter lives a hundred years or more he could be able to compete against an Elf. It's not just the magic - it's the wisdom of age.

04. In LOTR, the good guys (Elves, men, Gandalf) won a victory against an enemy that destroyed most of the populations of Gondor, Rohan, the Northern Kingdom, and the Westfold, including many Kings of Gondor two thousand years before. In that, Gondor had known only defeat for centuries and still achieved victory in its penultimate darkest hour! I also imagine that the power of will and mind of the humans was already gone (and depression would have run rampant through Gondor since there were centuries of defeat and uncertainty). Even with all that darkness and hopelessness, enough hope was somehow found to defeat the Dark Lord. Perhaps in future Harry Potter stories there may be more perilous and world-wide threatening evils, but LOTR takes the cake in being a story about a handful of people who pretty much single-handedly changed the attitude of the good guys and gave them the optimism to take a stand and fight to the last for freedom and peace. The power of persuasion and common sense was the emphasis in LOTR and it won against evil that even we in this uncertain world could not imagine!

05. If Harry Potter and wizards like him could conjure up their powers more quickly and if they could have widespread effects against evil, Harry Potter may be able to stand a mention in the world of LOTR, but it would never beat that! I like the Harry Potter series a lot, but LOTR still will always stand above all (in Star Trek terms, LOTR would be like taking 300 Federation ships and using them to take out a Borg Unimatrix whereas Harry Potter would be like having 10,000 Federation ships and using them to take out the same thing - the odds are way lower in LOTR).

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:30 pm

acutally dementors aren't demons per se, they're more like a shade or a black hole for happiness but... that don't really matter.

Back to the debate...

It depends on whether or not you talk a canon Harry, I've seen some non-canon Harry's that would lay waste to 10,000 Uruk-hai without so much as , well, moving. (all though that was an evil Harry, so he might be more interested in have them himself)

Oh ya and Elrond you litte comment about Gandalf and Sauron not needing wands is true but they DID use their staffs as a focusing device if I'm not mistaken, and if I am I apologize in advance.
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.

imagin
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by imagin » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:45 pm

Lord of the Rings is far cooler

and more violent :D

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:21 pm

Harrie, you are correct. They do use their staffs as focusing mechanisms.
Dead

WarrenG12
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by WarrenG12 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:26 pm

I would say Lord of the Rings is better.....the characters in that series were tryin to save the whole world from Sauron...while Harry was mainly just trying to save his own hide lol

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:38 am

roflcopter. yeah, i liked LOTR better. Harry Potter has its own coolness to it too, but LOTR is just uber.
Dead