Alien versus Predator

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Alien versus Predator

Post by odyssey » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:30 pm

I know this topic would be suited on the AVP boards since this is sci-fi action with spaceships and aliens (could be a cool idea for a AVP Armada?) , why not give it a shot?

The LOTR versus Potter topic made ponder this question... Alien versus Predator... who would or should win? What did you think of the movie that just came out? Their previous movies? What do you think of the games that movies spawned? (I personally love them!) :D

I haven't seen the movie yet, but the reviews from critics and fans have been brutal! Hope this doesn't spell the end of these series. :(

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:19 pm

Well, as far as I'm concerned, 90% of the time the critics say they don't like a movie because of stupid things like predictability, I disagree with them! Usually they pick movies that suck and give them four stars. I say AVP and I thought it was great, though in some ways, predictable. I'm personally looking forward to a sequel! Yep - I love the games that the movies spawned too! The new movie is great! I loved I Robot also! That was awesome! Will Smith kicks some *** again! :lol:

fleetadmiralmax
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by fleetadmiralmax » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:58 am

the film was not to bad but could have been better

its been getting rely bad reveiws from the fans and the crittics

CenturionV
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CenturionV » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:01 am

fleetadmiralmax wrote:the film was not to bad but could have been better

its been getting rely bad reveiws from the fans and the crittics
Well that depends, who do you talk to for reviews about AvP, I don't take what the critics say ever, and I'm also not of the mind that we should ask either specific "alien" fans, or specific "predator" fans the only ones who should be asked about an alien vs predator movie should be the fans of "alien vs predator" games and the small stuff I've seen from them is alot do like it.

I presonnally loved it and well not perfect, it was far and away better then the others in both series (except "aliens" which it MIGHT be tied with, probably better though)

Nostalgia tend to totally blind the average fan of a series, the truth is as some one who watched alien 1, 2, 3, 4 and predator 1 just last year for the first time, I was not really stunned by them, they where decent, but no where near as good as alot of old people who saw them originally had said very poor special effects, rather predictable "group of people get picked off one by one" storylines.

Anyone who watches and movie involving alien or predator should absolutely not expect a story, the original "alien" had minimal story as did predator(15 minute long planetary landing scenes, people running around a big freighter, and a single, guy in an alien suite chasing them around killing them one by one is just not my idea of a classic, and thats the whole movie right there)

I take them for what they are, cool-factor action sci-fi, and 99% of the stuff in AvP is cool, from the massive predator spaceships, to the hordes of totally-real-looking-yet-obviously-cg-aliens, the viscous slow-mo hand to hand combat between the aliens and the predators, and the final scene with a battle between and obviously ancient huge full grown alien queen, the action, the CG, it all easily outmatched the others.

People will always complain about sequels, they love to hate the new stuff, terminator 3, the new star wars movies, the recent star trek series, it seems to be in peoples blood to hate sequels, if they are not directly on the heels of the original.

I like to be more balanced and take things as they are, with no thought towards the series past or future.
"Oh, now be honest, Captain. Warrior to warrior. You do prefer it this way, don't you, as it was meant to be. No peace in our time. "Once more unto the breach, dear friends."

Alohaman
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Alohaman » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:50 pm

Here's something stupid, a 3-year old kid in New York was watching the movie with his parents and he choked and died on his popcorn. Police believe that he may have gotten scared when eating his popcorn.

Man those have to be the stupidest parents I've ever heard of.
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest."

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:10 pm

Alohaman wrote:Here's something stupid, a 3-year old kid in New York was watching the movie with his parents and he choked and died on his popcorn. Police believe that he may have gotten scared when eating his popcorn.

Man those have to be the stupidest parents I've ever heard of.
His parents are not stupid and u have no right to say that :evil:

it was something that just happen and i bet they are blaming themselves for it i feel bad for them :'( to lose a child like this :(

now now lets not hijack the thread lets try to stay on topic eh??

now on topic i will never in a million years will see this movie

i cant stand horror movies

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:44 pm

As we are all bound to our own opinions, I still say that I'm with you CenturionV about AVP - critics and fans always love to hate new stuff! In this instance, I would say the contrary, though I still liked the predecessors, I like AVP the best of the series! It would be really cool to have a CG model of the Predator's ship (though that's sort of off topic in a way, but worthy to mention). The cliffhanger at the end of the movie leaves some room for a sequel and offers questions like, "will the sequel be on Earth or will it be on the Alien's or Predator's homeworlds?" I would think that not having humans in a movie would make it a movie with lots of subtitles and stuff (which worked for Passion of the Christ). It would be the first movie of its kind if there were no humans speaking an Earth dialect! Imagine that, a movie without talking (as we know it)!
Well, I saw the movie twice already and I personally think it's worth seeing a third time (though bizarre). Heck, that wouldn't be so bizarre compared to me seeing Lord of the Rings: Return of the King in theaters - 17 times!!! What can ya say, I'm a regular movie-goer. Well, that's about it. I gotta get my computer shut down before this storm zaps everything! Good day!

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:43 pm

Count me in as a old time traditionalist... I always perfer the original movies that spawn these 2 franchises. Despite all the advances in special effects, the first ones (Alien and Predator) works because of their originality and vision - with the exception of Aliens - that since then have butchered (i.e. Alien3&4, partially P2). For a movie like Alien which is now 25 years old, it still very effective horror movie and still have the creepists trailer of all time... thanks Ridley Scott and HR Giger.

Still haven't gotten around to seeing AVP, but I was so hoping that they included Colonial Marines as the third combatant rather than civilians and set in the Alien universe. Imagine pilse rifles and smart guns versus Predator technology and the Alien Queen, now that would be something to see... just like the AVP2 games. :)

fleetadmiralmax
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by fleetadmiralmax » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:35 am

uv eherd new info that alot of the best bits that the director paul anderson in the film were CUT OUT and that the film was meant to be a R rating because you see the humans geting there heads bitten of etc...go to planetavp for more news :lol:

Wok
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Wok » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:02 am

I return from forum lurking just to say this before I die...

Complete F*cking Cr*p.

Btw- Elrond, I have no idea where you live but they are still showing LOTR Trilogy around the place. Even the Extended versions. I saw FOTR, TTT & ROTK in one day at the Royal Concert Hall in Nottingham, on a HUGE screen. Great. I also saw ROTK up in Scarborough and TTT & TTT:EE in Whitby. Which brings my tally up to

FOTR- 2
TTT - 4
TTT:EE - 1
ROTK - 5

Not much I guess, lol.

Have you seen trailers for the ROTK:EE? It looks so much better than the theatrical cut. Saruman is there, éowyn fighting Gothmog & Gandalf Vs Witch-King. Not to mention the Mouth of Sauron.

heheheh I cant wait!

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:07 am

Wok please do not highjack the thread this is bout AVP not bout LOTR

And please do watch the language

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:18 am

When watching AVP (for a third time), I still find the last third of the movie to be unbelievable (in that the humans make an alliance - don't want to give it away since some of you may not have seen it). I was kinda hoping that the alien pyramid thing would turn into a space ship and following that a space battle would ensue, but what did happen to it was pretty cool. I don't know much about the alien series because I haven't seen the movies for a long time, but what is the Alien Universe? Is it on a homeworld far away or is it actually another dimension (like the way Species 8472 lives in the biomatter version of our galaxy)?

By the way (off topic), I can't wait for the LOTR:ROTK extended edition either - looks like it'll be great! The trilogy is out on DVD, but it's like 60 something dollars - can't yet part with that much $! 8)

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:45 pm

Actually, the Alien universe exists - according to the AVP timeline - 150 years into the future, that is if you begin with the first movie Alien. Aliens takes place 57 years after the 2nd Aliens and Alien 3. The 4 Alien takes place 200 years after that. (Talk about screwing up a franchise :cry: )

The Alie'ns homeworld were never touched upon except for a brief glimpse of the Alien mothership. All the encounters between humans and Aliens takes place on the Alien mothership and tanker, the terraforming colony, prison planet and science ship.

What's up with the Predators making alliances with humans in AVP? Isn't the motto "We Lose" pretain to the fact that either sides wins...we lose? And what's with the Predator cape? SuperPredator? It looks wimpy!:lol:

And they really butchered the look of the Aliens...their heads have shrunked! Well, smaller than previous movie aliens. :wink:
Why they can't they simply stick with the original design? The first one is still heads up better looking than the rest and it's a guy in a suit! Why they didn't get the original Alien creator HR Giger involved?

And when will we see a strong male lead in these Aliens movies? Why is it always have to be a woman?

Other than that... Love the movie! :D

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:49 pm

I forgot to include...isn't the Hirogens on ST Voy inspired by the Predators? We all know how they turned out...WIMPS! :lol:

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:24 pm

I knew the Hirogens looked familiar! Yeah, the Alien timeline seems to be pretty wierd considering that the last Alien takes place 200 years after the prior. And the outcome of AVP was definitely not supposed to be what they said it was in the previews, but I guess that's what made it not as predictable. I think the fact that one person from the scientist group survives - if the rest were killed, the last would have been too. From what I saw the Predator do to Arnold, I'm surprised that another Predator would side with any human just because the human gave the predator his gun back! I guess they have mercy to a certain extent. One thing in the movie that was predictable is the ending - just opened up AVP to a sequel (supposedly). One thing I wonder about is how the Alien and the Predator have been at war since ancient times (that fact being revealed in AVP in the scene about the Predator helping the humans to build pyramids to worship the Predator). It's amazing such a war could ever continue for so many thousands of years without destroying both civilizations. It would take a civilization that has many planets in its dominion to be able to survive such a long war! Well, in the next sequel, maybe there will be an answer to some of those things. Meanwhile, AVP was a great movie that kept us thinking after seeing it!