The dimensions of the death star

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

jnddepew
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

The dimensions of the death star

Post by jnddepew » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:25 pm

what are the dimmensions of the death stars one and two?
I just want to compare notes and see what we get.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:37 am

I don't know much about it myself and I've been wondering - I remember seeing that figure one time and I think it's around 1000 km (>600 miles) - therefore, a small moon's size. But it's probably smaller than that. One ship that is truly gigantic beyond imagination is the Independence Day mothership, which is like 800 miles wide (and the bomb that took it out was obviously like over 1000 megatons in strength). I don't think the Death Stars I or II were quite that big - but maybe.

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:40 am

Well, I came up with 116 km for the first one, and 166 km for the second one.
Here's a link I found that does the calculations, comparing things
like the Millinium Falcon (about 23-28m).
http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWdeathstarsizes.html
The end of one Era is near... Star Trek Armada II - All Good Things...

Raptor
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Raptor » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:41 pm

His source was almost correct....Star Wars Databank puts them at 120km (DS)and 160km (DSII).
If you want a free custom sig, send me a PM or email ( Raptor226@gmail.com ).

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:59 pm

The "Star Wars: Incredible Cross Sections" book says that the first Death Star was 160 kilometers in diameter, large enough to be mistaken for a small moon.
"Until Hell calls my name!"

Raptor
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Raptor » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:21 pm

so...we can compromise and say 135 km?

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:47 am

I will get back to you. I am going to go to the library and check another source. If it is different, I would ere on the side of caution and pick the smaller of the options. However, if my second source turns out to back-up one of the sizes stated in any of the above posts, that is the size I will support.

Raptor
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Raptor » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:05 pm

From the website: http://www.starwars.com/databank/locati ... ar/?id=bts

In the finished film, the Death Star was a combination of whole models (including one that measured 120 cm in diameter), sectional models (particularly for the station's visible surface during the trench runs), and matte paintings.
So it was actually only 120 cm in diameter. :P

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:55 am

Raptor wrote:From the website: http://www.starwars.com/databank/locati ... ar/?id=bts

In the finished film, the Death Star was a combination of whole models (including one that measured 120 cm in diameter), sectional models (particularly for the station's visible surface during the trench runs), and matte paintings.
So it was actually only 120 cm in diameter. :P
The model. What scale did they use? How many Centimeters equals 1 Kilometer?

Raptor
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Raptor » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:34 pm

Umm...1 cm (model size) = 1 m (actual size) would be my guess...that's usually how they do it. Dunno for sure though.

-mik-
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Hi

Post by -mik- » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:40 am

So it is deffinately between 120Km and 170Km. So, a median would have to be 145Km. On the actual film it looked like a small moon in comparison with the planet. However, with the sheer size of it, you would think the characters would have actually made it truly unstoppable by having thousands of cannons on it.

Anyway, 160Km for the diameter of each sounds right (compared to the size of it against the planet) and if it says so in the Star Wars databank, then I think it should be right.

Raptor
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Raptor » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:00 am

It did have cannons all over it. The only reason it was destroyed was because the Imperials ignored the fighters until they were almost there, and there was an exposed shaft directly to the reactor. Whoever supposedly designed that was....stupid. Obviously it was there for the plot, but if someone had actually designed it, the port would've at least been shielded if it was there at all...

dubester
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by dubester » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:23 am

It was sheilded, but proton torpedos doesn't stop by shields only blasters

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:19 am

Raptor wrote:It did have cannons all over it. The only reason it was destroyed was because the Imperials ignored the fighters until they were almost there, and there was an exposed shaft directly to the reactor. Whoever supposedly designed that was....stupid. Obviously it was there for the plot, but if someone had actually designed it, the port would've at least been shielded if it was there at all...
It was ray shielded. That is why they used Proton Torpedoes.
dubester wrote:It was sheilded, but proton torpedos doesn't stop by shields only blasters
Particle sheilds would have stopped the torpedoes.

Unlike in the Star Trek universe, which has only one kind of shield, the Star Wars universe has two different shield types; one (particle shields) to stop projectile weapons and the other (ray shields) to defend against energy weapons.

JEDI3112
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by JEDI3112 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:13 am

JPKTrekker wrote:
The model. What scale did they use? How many Centimeters equals 1 Kilometer?
There are 100 000cm (I put a space in there to make it easier to read, so don't mistake it for a mistype or anything) in 1km.

Also apart from KOTOR I haven't seen anything that indicates there being 2 kinds of shields. However I do use KOTOR to determine the effects of weapons, but I haven't done so for ships, only personal shields, droid shields and borg shields, as the droid shields are about the same as personal shields in forms of protection I think it's justified to do the same for the Borg (and since both are about the same, it doesn't matter if you count the Borg as droids or organic meatbags), also Borg shields don't stop swords either.

However if this would apply to capital ships as well I have yet to figure out why they use turbolasers instead of disruptors (the SW version is designed to penetrate shields). So therefor I think this doesn't apply to vessels shielding.