The dimensions of the death star

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:39 pm

Jedi, in A New Hope, they specifically say that the port is "Ray Shielded," and not just shielded. It is that line and everything I have read in books about the Star Wars universe and books set in the Star Wars universe, that has lead me to believe that their are the two types of shields in the Star Wars universe.
"Until Hell calls my name!"

icewolf132
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by icewolf132 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:25 pm

JPKTrekker wrote:Jedi, in A New Hope, they specifically say that the port is "Ray Shielded," and not just shielded. It is that line and everything I have read in books about the Star Wars universe and books set in the Star Wars universe, that has lead me to believe that their are the two types of shields in the Star Wars universe.
From Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels on the topic of sheilds;

There are two common types of shields: partical shields and ray/energy shields. Sheild generatiors shroud starships and vehicles in fields of energy, asorbing energy blasts and physical attacks. Shields can asorb only a limited amount of energy before they burn out, but they provide significant protection while thy last. Sheilds are found on almost all starships; vehicle shields are much weaker.
Partical shielding protects against physical objects, such as missiles, proton torpedos, and debris. Particle shields must be turned off to allow a vessel to fire its own missiles or to launch or recive other vehicles.
Energy/ray shielding protects only against laser, blaster, and turbolaser attacks. Energy shields require significantly more power to maintain than partical shields and are normally raised only in combat.
Star Trekkin' across the universe, because I STILL can't find reverse!

Usage Permission; All are free to use and edit my work in any way they see fit, so long as credit is given where it is due.

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:17 am

icewolf132 wrote:
JPKTrekker wrote:Jedi, in A New Hope, they specifically say that the port is "Ray Shielded," and not just shielded. It is that line and everything I have read in books about the Star Wars universe and books set in the Star Wars universe, that has lead me to believe that their are the two types of shields in the Star Wars universe.
From Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels on the topic of sheilds;

There are two common types of shields: partical shields and ray/energy shields. Sheild generatiors shroud starships and vehicles in fields of energy, asorbing energy blasts and physical attacks. Shields can asorb only a limited amount of energy before they burn out, but they provide significant protection while thy last. Sheilds are found on almost all starships; vehicle shields are much weaker.
Partical shielding protects against physical objects, such as missiles, proton torpedos, and debris. Particle shields must be turned off to allow a vessel to fire its own missiles or to launch or recive other vehicles.
Energy/ray shielding protects only against laser, blaster, and turbolaser attacks. Energy shields require significantly more power to maintain than partical shields and are normally raised only in combat.
Thanks for the help, Icewolf. That is, in fact, one of the books that I was talking about.
"Until Hell calls my name!"

Thrawn
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Thrawn » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:27 am

The Death Star 1 Had a Diameter of 160 Km.

The Death Star 2 Had a Diameter of 900 Km.