Do you believe in UFOS?

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Thu May 12, 2005 2:15 am

Corbomite_Ray wrote:Likely a dream.
Felt real to me. I remember feeling awe, scared, and curious. I also remember the sounds of the night, the feel of the sand between my fingers, and it was just to vivid, in my opinion, for it to have been a dream.
"Until Hell calls my name!"

Corbomite_Ray
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Corbomite_Ray » Thu May 12, 2005 2:19 am

I have had several particularly vivid dreams that seem so, so real, but they aren't. Those are the weirdest ones, I think, because you wake up and you remember that thing that happened - when did that happen? Wait a minute - was that all just a dream? o.O No way! But...I guess it never happened.

Funky those ones, eh?
Stalwart guardian of the Star Wars Expanded Universe, because it was so artistically done

"You're in Starfleet. Insanity is not an option; it's a requirement."
- Captain Anthony Felfire

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Thu May 12, 2005 2:21 am

Corbomite_Ray wrote:I have had several particularly vivid dreams that seem so, so real, but they aren't. Those are the weirdest ones, I think, because you wake up and you remember that thing that happened - when did that happen? Wait a minute - was that all just a dream? o.O No way! But...I guess it never happened.

Funky those ones, eh?
So, you are suggesting that I had a waking dream all those years ago? If so, then how come I can recolect so many specific details. Like the chirp of the crickets, the fact that the craft had curved edges, et cetera.

Corbomite_Ray
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Corbomite_Ray » Thu May 12, 2005 2:52 am

The human imagination is weird stuff. Stranger things have happened. How do you scientifically explain why that ship wouldn't be detected flying that low, how you got back inside, etc.?
Stalwart guardian of the Star Wars Expanded Universe, because it was so artistically done

"You're in Starfleet. Insanity is not an option; it's a requirement."
- Captain Anthony Felfire

Zered003
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Zered003 » Thu May 12, 2005 3:19 pm

You may have seen something. But with the way the human mind works. Even some of the best memories we have got gaps in them where we don't remember anything. And if it was tree top level high. Then there is a small chance it would not be picked up on radar.

If a small plane can get 3 miles away from the White house before it is forced to turn around. Then it is possible for most craft to avoid radar some how.
I enjoy the moments of peace and quite.
You know, when you dont think about anything.
I enjoy all 3 seconds of the day when that happens.

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Thu May 12, 2005 5:43 pm

Other people must have seen it. From my perspective, it was at least a city block in size. Of course, I was small for my age until a year or so ago. So, It might have only seemed that large to me. It could have been smaller. But not by much.
Last edited by JPKTrekker on Thu May 12, 2005 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 » Thu May 12, 2005 5:46 pm

Although its likely that there are aliens, I really have not seen conclusive evidence. Mostly these people are confused or just scary in how stupid they seem.
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey » Thu May 12, 2005 6:52 pm

Maybe people are just not yet ready to accept the fact that there is intelligent alien life out there for religious reasons. Imagine having been taught for centuries that man was created from the image of god and we were his chosen and most unqiue creation. We believed arrogantly we were the center of the universe and alot of those beliefs are still engrained in our religious teachings. The possible existance of other equal or maybe superior lifeforms would certainly put alot of doubt and even a sever blow on our spiritual beliefs... which is one of the main cements that holds together our societies.

Zered003
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Zered003 » Thu May 12, 2005 7:11 pm

I would have to disagree with that. A basic belief in God would not be hurt by the discovery of alien life. The faith we are suppose to have when it comes to God is different then what the "church" has taught us. in fact, most churches now days fight over details b/c they want more power then the other churches. The Bible never once says thier is no other life. Besides,other the God and creation what is there to believe in? Evolution? Darwin himself ment for Evolution to explain how things change over time and that everything had to come from somewhere. It has been proven that the greatest minds have discovered that there must be a God or higher power. So, to say the discovery of aliens would destroy our faith in God is wrong. It would destroy the church as we know it. And I think anyone who truely has faith in God would agree that the church as it stands now needs to fall. For it has become nothing but a social club for 90% of its members. There is a reason I do not attent church. I will not go there just to be seen. Beside using the word religion is not a correct saying. It should be Faith. Anyways, I am not trying to preach at anyone. I just want you to realize there is a difference in faith and the church as it has become.

People may not be ready to accept change. Isn't that always true though? Culture is always afraid of change. That is the main cause of hate, war, and racism and almost everything else wrong with the world today.

I as a person who does have some faith would like to know the truth. For whatever the truth is would not affect my overall faith.

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Thu May 12, 2005 7:22 pm

Change is the only constant in the universe.

Zered003
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Zered003 » Thu May 12, 2005 7:26 pm

Exactly, but the only other constant is the fear of change. No matter how great one becomes they will always fear change. Lets face it as humans we become comfortable with the way life is and end up taking a "so what" attitude if are not careful.

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 » Thu May 12, 2005 7:54 pm

If someone did invent warp drive today, for instance, it would be in his interests to keep it a secret and slowly filter in the ideas and technology to prepare humanity for the consequences.
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to

Zered003
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Zered003 » Thu May 12, 2005 8:11 pm

You mean like what companies and the government already do? exept thier reason is purely for profit.

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 » Thu May 12, 2005 8:44 pm

I mean quite the opposite. The panic and greed that would occur, the groups trying to escape Earth and the groups trying to destroy or steal the technology, not to mention the fear of discovering new life could overwhelm the planet and be far more harmful than the benefits of warp drive now could provide, unless it was gradually introduced to society.

What you speak of is the 50 year refridgerator rule. You can easily make a refridgerator last 50 years, but you'd never get return customers, so there is a built in usage life that is beneficial to maintaining steady sales. The studabaker car company collapsed because when a customer bought a studabaker, it might be the last car they'd buy in 20 years or 30 years. Their customers all got one studabaker and never needed to come back, so the sales, and hence the profit dried up.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Thu May 12, 2005 11:52 pm

JPKTrekker wrote:Change is the only constant in the universe.
And, it seems then, that the more things change, the more they stay the same. :)

Anyway, I don't believe in UFOs myself. I believe that there is life out there and there's no doubt considering that:

1) There are 100 billion stars average in a given galaxy - ours has 150 to 200 billion.
2) There are 100 billion + galaxies out there.
3) There are probably more planets than stars.

Therefore, there's a good chance for a lot of life being out there.

But it is very improbable that Earth has been visited - and if it has, it's likely that no one has seen any aliens let alone their ships, unless the very improbable event happened when someone was watching and a ship was just passing through.

But consider the vastness of space and the limited capability of any sensor system - it can only go so far, and to venture any given area to find a planet takes a long time and it is hard to find a needle in a stack of needles (unless you don't care what needle you pick up - but in this case we want a needle that contains life on it LOL). They may have visited - it's not out of possibility, but it's sure a vast galaxy and universe out there. And even if they have hyperspace (which has been mathematically proven, but not scientifically), then it would still take so very long to just look for a planet let alone one with life. It's like two bullets colliding in mid-air when shot from a mile away from one-another. I mean, they've collided in mid-air in close-range fire, but consider a large space and those odds are pretty dang small.

Here is something amazing for you: you are more likely to be struck by lightning and win the lottery in the same week than you are to find a planet with life on it (that is, if you go from planet-to-planet searching for it). I mean, it's out there! And there's probably a heck of a lot of life out there, but when you consider the size of this galaxy let alone the size of the universe, it's easy to come across stars and planets but very difficult to find a planet with life on it because, chances are, it's a gas giant, rocky burnt out planet that's too close to its star, or a frozen planet too far from its star, or a planet with a star that is too active or not active enough, or a planet that has a pulsar as its star, or a planet that has an orbit that is so elliptical that conditions are always changing too often to allow advanced life to develop, or a planet that is too small, too big, in the wrong place in the galaxy, etc. There's hundreds of variables in this.

You may find one in [place a big number here - not impossibly big - just big] planets that contain life. But one thing that is amazing is that despite the oddity of life on a planet-to-planet basis, there is still probably a heck of a lot of life out there.

Their possibility of finding us is only slightly greater than us finding them, depending on how much more advanced they are than us.
Last edited by Elrond on Fri May 13, 2005 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.