Capital Punishment

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Wed May 18, 2005 10:33 pm

no, it may not change their ways but it will certainly solve the problem.

Destroy the spoiled fruit on the tree before it is spread to the people.
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 » Wed May 18, 2005 10:41 pm

Prisons don't spread bad ideas though.
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Thu May 19, 2005 12:58 am

the fact that the family of the victim has to pay for their health care is a bad enough idea
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.

USS_Nova
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Nova » Thu May 19, 2005 3:55 am

Only becuase they cost you money you rather let them die?
Its been a while.

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Thu May 19, 2005 11:11 am

The problem with prisons is that there is always the chance of escape.
"Until Hell calls my name!"

Numbazix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Numbazix » Thu May 19, 2005 3:24 pm

Both options are lacking in many respects, however there are very few options to choose from.
Zix
Master of all I survey--wheres my glasses?

Corbomite_Ray
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Corbomite_Ray » Thu May 19, 2005 4:35 pm

USS_Nova wrote:Only becuase they cost you money you rather let them die?
They deserve to die.
Stalwart guardian of the Star Wars Expanded Universe, because it was so artistically done

"You're in Starfleet. Insanity is not an option; it's a requirement."
- Captain Anthony Felfire

USS_Nova
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Nova » Thu May 19, 2005 4:52 pm

And what if innocent people get the death penalty?
Its been a while.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Thu May 19, 2005 5:05 pm

Corbomite_Ray wrote:
USS_Nova wrote:Only becuase they cost you money you rather let them die?
They deserve to die.
As long as they're guilty, heck yeah, they deserve to die. But then how do we prove that. I saw if they are proven guilty, then they die. What use are they anymore anyways?
Dead

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Thu May 19, 2005 5:09 pm

Here's a hypothetical situation for you Nova, for everyone really.

You live in Somewhere City of Nowhere State USA. A few weeks ago your sister was raped by a man who had AID, and as a result your sister is now infected. You come from a family that is has hardly enough money to pay for the court fees and the lawyer. The mere thought of moving to another state to excape the memories and paying for the medicine your sister will need, is enough to knock the wind out of you. Now under the warped court system of Nowhere State they are letting you choose his fate. Your choices are simple; send him to prison to live out the rest of his days in comfort as a ward of the state and recieving medical attention through the taxes you pay leaving you to live with the aftermath of his actions, or have him executed for his crime and for causing your family further hardship leaving you with a little blood on your hand but satisfied knowing he has paid in full now for what will happen to your family.

I know what I would choose, the closest I come to real sisters are my three nieces (16, 17, 20), if any one of them was raped I would demand the scums head be planted on my mantle by sundown. Life is a bitch and sometimes you have to get a little blood on your hands to make things better, I would sleep easy that knowing he wasn't lounging safely in some upstate prison imagining his next victim.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Thu May 19, 2005 5:15 pm

I completely agree with ya on that, Harrie.
Dead

jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt » Thu May 19, 2005 5:45 pm

Forgive me, seen as I live in UK and only 15, I may be missing something, however, I'd like to try and voice my opinions as such:

Harrie, giving a hypothetical situation of this sort is uncertain. No one case is ever the same, or, if they are its a very rare occurance. Like a snowflake, each crime is different, unique in their own way, so, with these things, to give a hypothetical situation is flawed, but remember, this is my opinion.

Personally, I'm glad I live in a country (or state for those of you who live in the X amount of states that ban death sentence) where the death penalty was abolished (29 years ago??). It erradicates the possibility of false accusement and thus an innocent person being killed needlessly.

I would then to agree with the side that shows that by going into jail, the person should learn from thier mistakes, and, should they be in a state of mind where they can do said crimes, its obvious they're a harm to not only others (as has been proven) but to themselves. I therefore think that people in jail should be given the right to see psychiatrists to try and help them, I mean, let's be honest, a normal law-abiding citizen like myself or anybody on this forum will doubtfully go out and do said crimes, so, one might presume for a "normal" person to do such a thing, they obviously aren't "normal" and such should be given the right to be helped over-come any problems.

Ofcourse, I entirely understand the other side. Having a hideous act (cause that's what these are) against someone you know, or, even yourself you would want the most painful thing to happen to the person who did it so I can understand the want to have somebody killed, I really can. I would probably also want the same thing if I was the victim of a crime.

Again, I understand the whole taxes thing, but, as raise din one of my previous points, I think it is better for the person to atleast be treated, or attempted to be before anything more serious is done to them.

Now, because I'm off-school tomorrow (yay), I'll be on if anybody wants to have a debate with me over this from about 9-10am GMT (in about 10 hours from now) because its these sort of things that really interest me, just the fact how different people make out of the same situation.

Anyhow, pelase remember y'all, this is just my opinion, not what I believe should be done.

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Thu May 19, 2005 5:50 pm

well jolt is right, the question is loaded... but its the kinda thing that has happened hudreds of times, with out the leaving it to the brother that is.

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 » Thu May 19, 2005 7:09 pm

Why stoop to their level by demanding bloody retribution.
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Thu May 19, 2005 7:48 pm

babylonian law was so much simplier. An eye for an eye.