Capital Punishment

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 » Thu May 19, 2005 7:59 pm

Well if we can't improve over 4000 years, that's sad.
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Thu May 19, 2005 8:11 pm

true but for all we know it was very effective. Fear of pain and fear of death are effective controls.
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Thu May 19, 2005 8:11 pm

And the world these days is sad.
Dead

Corbomite_Ray
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Corbomite_Ray » Thu May 19, 2005 10:21 pm

blindeye01 wrote:Why stoop to their level by demanding bloody retribution.
The moral high ground doesn't always work. Besides, killing them when they hadn't been convicted - that would be stooping to their level. Condemning someone to death who raped and murdered half a dozen girls under the age of 12 within the space of two years - that's justice, and well-deserved justice at that. I'm not shelling out my money to pay for their top-notch healthcare as they spend God knows how much longer in prison for that. They can meet Satan sooner rather than later, and maybe they can rot in prison down there where the families of the victims don't have to pay their own money to keep these societal abominations alive and healthy when they deserve nothing less than roasting over a pit of lava skewered on the devil's pitchfork.
Stalwart guardian of the Star Wars Expanded Universe, because it was so artistically done

"You're in Starfleet. Insanity is not an option; it's a requirement."
- Captain Anthony Felfire

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Thu May 19, 2005 11:00 pm

I'll drink to that.
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.

jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt » Fri May 20, 2005 5:21 am

How about this then (diplomatic voice):

If you beleive this sort of thing, and, I don't entirely agree with all of it etc but, would you be happy to let someone be in jail IF said crime affects you, whether this be close family friend or family, that you didn't pay tax on that particular thing, or, more precisely you pay a reduction in tax, so, clinically you're not supporting them, they just get no money form you?

If it worked that way, how many people would agree to it? I do know this point is slightly flawedbut I'd be interested to see what people make of it.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Fri May 20, 2005 10:00 am

Corbomite_Ray wrote:
blindeye01 wrote:Why stoop to their level by demanding bloody retribution.
The moral high ground doesn't always work. Besides, killing them when they hadn't been convicted - that would be stooping to their level. Condemning someone to death who raped and murdered half a dozen girls under the age of 12 within the space of two years - that's justice, and well-deserved justice at that. I'm not shelling out my money to pay for their top-notch healthcare as they spend God knows how much longer in prison for that. They can meet Satan sooner rather than later, and maybe they can rot in prison down there where the families of the victims don't have to pay their own money to keep these societal abominations alive and healthy when they deserve nothing less than roasting over a pit of lava skewered on the devil's pitchfork.
Exactly. Why should we have the same thing that happened with the OJ trial happen again? And it happens ALL TOO OFTEN. A murderer's life is not worth the money we pay to keep them alive. I mean, some of us don't even receive top-notch healthcare and we didn't do anything wrong - well anything that bad. Our justice system is just teaching people that it's easier to be a criminal since they have everything provided to them at our expense - though they are in prison and it does get violent - at least they get that part right now. They deserve nothing less than to be roasted over that lava again and again in the firey depths of hell. It's like what is our justice system about - they must figure, "well, since they're going to hell, we'll give them good healthcare and plenty of food so they enjoy the rest of their lives on earth." * Shakes head. * It really does the opposite of what it's meant to do - and it's meant to set an example. If found guilty - if all of the evidence is obvious (as it was in OJ's case), then the murderer/rapist/etc should be made an example instead of getting the best healthcare around at the hand of taxpayers.
Dead

kai121
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by kai121 » Fri May 20, 2005 11:00 am

Belive or not, but its actually cheaper to keep seomone in prion for life than to execute them...Also consider that executioon to them would be conisdered the "easy" way out.
"It is our destiny to attempt the impossible, to accomplish great deeds regardless of fear".

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch » Fri May 20, 2005 12:27 pm

Where do you get that? Is that a factor involving the usual and many appeals and things filed and acted upon by the judicial system?

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Fri May 20, 2005 4:36 pm

Actually that is true, it is cheaper to lock someone up than to kill them... It really doesn't make sense does it.

USS_Nova
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Nova » Fri May 20, 2005 5:36 pm

Now then if it costs you more to kill someone then to lock him up, why not lock him up? :roll:
Its been a while.

Corbomite_Ray
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Corbomite_Ray » Fri May 20, 2005 6:15 pm

A bullet and the wages of a prison guard cost less than lifetime healthcare and food/water/plumbing supply, I believe.
Stalwart guardian of the Star Wars Expanded Universe, because it was so artistically done

"You're in Starfleet. Insanity is not an option; it's a requirement."
- Captain Anthony Felfire

kai121
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by kai121 » Fri May 20, 2005 7:02 pm

lets just hope ppl dont get the idea out of Johnny english and try to turn britain into a massive prison 8O
"It is our destiny to attempt the impossible, to accomplish great deeds regardless of fear".

jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt » Sat May 21, 2005 7:45 am

No, that's what Australia was originally used as, and I'm not joking...

kai121
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by kai121 » Sat May 21, 2005 8:13 am

Hmmm....Australi = British commonwealth