uss titan ncc-80102 luna class.

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

AJB20
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

uss titan ncc-80102 luna class.

Post by AJB20 » Fri May 20, 2005 4:47 pm

I know that there has been some debates to what class of ship and what type(explorer, science, battle) the uss titan is. I recently bought the star trek book titan: taking wing and in the back it mentions a competion for designs of the uss titan. It is only for americans or canadians but I was wondering if anybody was intrested as the winner gets to see his design on the cover of a book and credit for it. The concept notes for the luna class
are the following.

The luna class is a mid sized starfleet vessel approx 450 meters in length so larger than the intrepid class but smaller than the galaxy about similar size to the now aging excelsior class. It has a crew compliment of 350 and is compariable to other establised star fleet designs.

It is a new long range explorer not built specifily for combat but like the constsitution class, a vessel designed for long-term multipurpose missions into uncharted space. It is equiped though with state of the art propulsion and science facilities as well as having similar weapons as found on the sovergien class. It also is a test bed for expiremental science tech not yet implemented on other classes.

I think thats most of the important concept notes. Designs must be in the form of general plans and include the following views. side front, back, top,bottom. They must be submited to titancontest@simonandschuster.com in the following formats jpeg, cmyk colour or 14" x 9" at 300dpi.

I posted this because some of you may want to give it a go and may have already created ships that are found on this website that match the criteria and want to enter them.

draconis_sharp
Ensign
Ensign

Post by draconis_sharp » Fri May 20, 2005 5:04 pm

I think that contest has long since expired, but I could be wrong about that.

AJB20
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by AJB20 » Fri May 20, 2005 5:10 pm

no the contest is open till midnight august 15 2005.

Majestic
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Majestic » Fri May 20, 2005 7:03 pm

Sounds cool. I dont agree with the book about being smallier than a Galaxy, If I made a Titan it would be at least the size of a Galaxy/Sovereign. :wink:

AJB20
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by AJB20 » Fri May 20, 2005 7:26 pm

yes thats what I thought it would be but there already exists the galaxy and soverign heavy explorer class ships which are few in number and flagships of star fleet. The excelsior class though is about 100 years old and had taken serious loses in the dominion war like the aging miranda class. Star fleet needed an explorer to replace the excelsior class. The galaxy and sovergien classes were too expensive. If we were being acurate to cannon, origionly only 16 galaxys were built. More may have been built since then and to upgraded spec's and there are only two cannon soverigns as far as I know. The intrepid was consided but was too small and light weight and the alkira had the punch but lacked the ability to undertake multi-role missions.

Majestic
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Majestic » Fri May 20, 2005 7:53 pm

AJB20 wrote:yes thats what I thought it would be but there already exists the galaxy and soverign heavy explorer class ships which are few in number and flagships of star fleet. The excelsior class though is about 100 years old and had taken serious loses in the dominion war like the aging miranda class. Star fleet needed an explorer to replace the excelsior class. The galaxy and sovergien classes were too expensive. If we were being acurate to cannon, origionly only 16 galaxys were built. More may have been built since then and to upgraded spec's and there are only two cannon soverigns as far as I know. The intrepid was consided but was too small and light weight and the alkira had the punch but lacked the ability to undertake multi-role missions.
Yes. But there there were a heap of Galaxies made during the Dominion War, to boost Starfleets firepower, even thought they pretty much didn't have all the internal labs etc fitted in.

I always thought of the Titan as a heavy version of the Sovereign, eg, starfleets answer to the Dominion Dreadnaught.

AJB20
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by AJB20 » Fri May 20, 2005 8:03 pm

I see your point but I think they wanted to avoid battleships and move back to a ship designed for exploration what with all the conflicts that have gone on. Even in enterprise season 3 was about a war with the zindi. I think they wanted more of an original series feel to it so meeting new species and new problems plus having to be resousful to survive as the constition was outpowed in a straight fight with the kligon heavey cruisers so kirk had to be resouceful and unotherdox which is what i think they want riker to be in the new series of books because if you are captain of one of the most powerful ships in the quadrent not much of a challenge. just raise shields and fire weapons. That was the one problem with bridge commander as the uss sovergien was the most powerful stock ship in the game so too easy. At least this will esult in a decent ship unlike the nx class which was just a scaled down upside down akira

Majestic
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Majestic » Fri May 20, 2005 8:13 pm

True I see you point there. I look forward to seeing the final design though.

Numbazix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Numbazix » Sat May 21, 2005 1:06 pm

I would think, just an opinion, that the Titan would be akin to what the Typhoon is to the submarine community--the largest and meanest dreadnaught under the waves. The Titan would be a dreadnaught of incomparable size with weaponry to dwarf even the most deadly foes. Much like modern aircraft carriers it would be accompanied by a task force and be able to project force long before any enemy could attack it.
Zix
Master of all I survey--wheres my glasses?

Majestic
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Majestic » Sun May 22, 2005 2:10 am

Numbazix wrote:I would think, just an opinion, that the Titan would be akin to what the Typhoon is to the submarine community--the largest and meanest dreadnaught under the waves. The Titan would be a dreadnaught of incomparable size with weaponry to dwarf even the most deadly foes. Much like modern aircraft carriers it would be accompanied by a task force and be able to project force long before any enemy could attack it.
Yes, thats what I always thought. The Titan would be a dreadnaught to counter the Dominion Dreadnaughts from the Dominion War.

Thats a reason why she headed the peace envoy to Romulus at the end of ST: Nemesis, to show the Romulans that Starfleet and the Federation means business, espically to any Reman factions out there thinking of following in Shinzon's footsteps.

Titan
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Titan » Sun May 22, 2005 6:58 am

The Federation has the Sovereign class so it doesn't really need a dreadnaught. We never knew what effect a Sovereign would have on the Dominion. There would be no need for the Federation to build gigantic dreadnaughts, the Dominion are on the other side of the galaxy and have no real way of effectively invading the Alpha quadrent again. The Scimitar was only recently discovered so I doubt that the Federation somehow be able to pump out a huge dreadnaught with that short notice. The Sovereign looked quite effective against the Borg, the Romulans are beginning peace talk with the Federation, the Cardassians are in no shape to pose a threat, the Klingons are the Federations allies. Why would the Federation need a huge dreadnaught? I think it is far more likely that the USS Titan is an Akira or some other ship class that was still in production at the time. Just because the ship is called USS Titan doesn't mean the ship is a new class of vessel that is larger than any other Federation ship. It could be another Sovereign class as they are the largest Federation ship at the time, or it could even be a Galaxy class.

AJB20
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by AJB20 » Sun May 22, 2005 1:15 pm

i DIDN'T MAKE THIS UP i AM JUST REPEATING THE CONCEPT NOTES FOUND IN THE BACK OF THE STAR TREK BOOK TITAN TAKING WING AS I THOUGH SOMEONE ON THIS SITE MAY HAVE BEEN INTRESTED IN THE COMPETION AS THERE ARE SOME GOOD SHIPS THAT MATCH THE CRITEARIA THAT COULD WIN IT ALREADY ON THIS SITE.

I ORIGIONLY THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A NEXT GENERATION GALAXY WHICH IS A GALAXY CLASS WITH SOVERIGN PARTS. NOT AS POWERFUL AS THE SOVEY BUT STILL A POWERFUL SHIP BUT I WAS WRONG.

THEY WOULD HAVE SENT THE ENTERPRISE TO ROMULOS BUT BECAUSE OF SHINZON BEING A CLONE OF PICARD IT WOULD HAVE UPSET THE BALANCE OF THE ROMULON EMPIRE RESULTING IT A CIVAL WAR BETWEEN THE DIFFERING ROMULON FRACTIONS INCLUDING THE TAL SHIAR AND THE REMANS. DUE TO THE POWER VACUM THAT EXISTED AT THE END OF NEMISIS.

THEY ALSO WANTED SOMEONE EHO KNOW SPOCK AND COULD WORK WITH HIM AS HE WAS ALREADY ON ROMULOS. THEY ALSO CHOSE RIKER BECAUSE HE IS TRUSTED BY DONATRA WHO LEADS THE ROMULON MILITARY AND KNEW THE SCORE SENDING IN A CAPTAIN THAT DID NOT KNOW THE FULL PICTURE OR THE ROMULONS DID NOT TRUST WOULD HAVE BEEN A MISTAKE.

IT IS NAMED TITAN AS THE LUNA CLASS IS NAMED AFTER MOONS IN EARTHS SOLAR SYSTEM AND TITAN IS ONE OF JUPITER MOON AND WAS NOT NAMED TITAN DUE TO ITS SIZE.

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Sun May 22, 2005 1:25 pm

AJB20 wrote:i DIDN'T MAKE THIS UP i AM JUST REPEATING THE CONCEPT NOTES FOUND IN THE BACK OF THE STAR TREK BOOK TITAN TAKING WING AS I THOUGH SOMEONE ON THIS SITE MAY HAVE BEEN INTRESTED IN THE COMPETION AS THERE ARE SOME GOOD SHIPS THAT MATCH THE CRITEARIA THAT COULD WIN IT ALREADY ON THIS SITE.

I ORIGIONLY THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A NEXT GENERATION GALAXY WHICH IS A GALAXY CLASS WITH SOVERIGN PARTS. NOT AS POWERFUL AS THE SOVEY BUT STILL A POWERFUL SHIP BUT I WAS WRONG.

THEY WOULD HAVE SENT THE ENTERPRISE TO ROMULOS BUT BECAUSE OF SHINZON BEING A CLONE OF PICARD IT WOULD HAVE UPSET THE BALANCE OF THE ROMULON EMPIRE RESULTING IT A CIVAL WAR BETWEEN THE DIFFERING ROMULON FRACTIONS INCLUDING THE TAL SHIAR AND THE REMANS. DUE TO THE POWER VACUM THAT EXISTED AT THE END OF NEMISIS.

THEY ALSO WANTED SOMEONE EHO KNOW SPOCK AND COULD WORK WITH HIM AS HE WAS ALREADY ON ROMULOS. THEY ALSO CHOSE RIKER BECAUSE HE IS TRUSTED BY DONATRA WHO LEADS THE ROMULON MILITARY AND KNEW THE SCORE SENDING IN A CAPTAIN THAT DID NOT KNOW THE FULL PICTURE OR THE ROMULONS DID NOT TRUST WOULD HAVE BEEN A MISTAKE.

IT IS NAMED TITAN AS THE LUNA CLASS IS NAMED AFTER MOONS IN EARTHS SOLAR SYSTEM AND TITAN IS ONE OF JUPITER MOON AND WAS NOT NAMED TITAN DUE TO ITS SIZE.
GRRRRRRR *Bad Mood* DONT Shout it really ANNOYS me

EDIT:ill let it slide this time :\
Last edited by cecilzero1 on Mon May 23, 2005 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Corbomite_Ray
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Corbomite_Ray » Sun May 22, 2005 1:27 pm

Yikes! Look out, AJB20!

How many Titan-class ship designs do we really need? C'mon guys, honestly!
Stalwart guardian of the Star Wars Expanded Universe, because it was so artistically done

"You're in Starfleet. Insanity is not an option; it's a requirement."
- Captain Anthony Felfire

AJB20
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by AJB20 » Sun May 22, 2005 1:39 pm

Sorry tied just got back from a busy weekend and forgot to take caps lock off. I did not mind majestic comments as we debated it using knowledge of the star trek universe. But the federation does not build dreadnaughts (unless they are required but i cant name one cannon dreadnaught as the sovergien is an advanced or heavey explorer) star fleet is about defence and mainly exploration not war. star fleet ship names are named after historic events,people or places. current places and planets or virtuies not warlike names. Titan as a name based on size sounds more like an name suitable for an imperrial superstar destroyer from star wars.