Armada 3

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

In Armada Three Should the Ferengi Be a Major Race or a Sub Race?

Major Race?
33%
Sub Race?
67%

Total votes: 52

Setiesh
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

I would have this

Post by Setiesh »

I would make the Tholians a playable race but make like Species 8472 so they cant be Assimalated because they are Silicon based and like really hot envioment. I wolud also make the Ferengi a playable race along with the breen i always thought they were cool and would like to play.
Play On
Set :twisted:
Boris
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Boris »

what i would like to see when a ship is destroyed is both its remains and if it was a phaser it, the holes that they make. Also, if a hip is hit and it looses its warp engines, like it looses a naccele, it can make a new one, eg if its hit on the warp engines, it will need a tow back.

I would like the hardpoints to be realistic, like Akira actually shoots from its POD

I would also like to see the valkyrie class fighter, or any fighters
Ambassador
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Ambassador »

If by some miracle A3 does some how get released I would have to say that the Ferengi should be a minor race.

A3 were released it would have to compete with games like HW2…… A3 wouldn’t have a chance if they improve it a little like from A1 to A2.
Mariner_Class
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Mariner_Class »

Armada 1 was the ideal game IMO. Simple to naivagte and control, excellent story line that nods to canon aswell as non-canon, has fairly decent ships for it's age, and can be modified at the drop of a hat. ;)

Armada 2 however, stirrs mixed feelings in me. The new map thickness is farily cumbersome and annoying (especially when you are trying to find a ship and it's above the camera vieqpoint :x ). The models were much improved, but the story line was poor, use of canon was minimal, and the balancing was terrible (it IS possible to have uber-Borg and have them balanced, I've done it before). The new resources consfused the hell out of me. The only thing that was useful was the timeline function, because it showed my current status quickly and allowed me to see my progress and adjust it accordingly.

Ideally, Armada 3 should be similar to Armada 1, but it should be a stand alone game (ie not using A1 or 2 as a crutch for easier storytelling), and a name like Armada: Unlimited would suit it better.

Armada "3" should habve the following features

- Simple, 2D map (or a 3d system that is less confusing)

- One, generalized resource to free up more attention to strategy

- Use of more Trek like and less childish superweapons (specifically the Psyhonic Blast, which should be renamed to Sensor Override, which was used in TNG: "The Battle")

- A more logical and race tailored ship list

^This is one of the most irritating and blatant errors that both games made. Both tried to "level the playing fied" by using the canon ships and races, but giving them the same firepower and defenses.

A more realistic and fun way to acheive balance would be to give each race it's apparent strengths, not to "dumb down" the Romulans or "retarding" the Borg as was done in both games. A more realistic set or races would be like this:

Federation -

Moderate Repair and Research Times
Moderate Boarding Ability
Excellent defenses and moderate weaponry (with the exception of the Type-12 phasers, pulse phasers, and Q-torps)
A variety of classes, with all ships scaled properly to each other (ie the Sovereign being thinner but longer than the Galaxy and the Defiant being 1/6th of the Galaxy.
All basic combat slots filled in by one or two classes. (ie as in light cruiser, destroyer, battleship, but have specialized ships in each slot)

Romulan -

Moderate Repair and Research Ability
Heavy Boarding Ability (as we've seen them go toe-to-toe with the Klingons frequently and win)
Better than average weaponry and sheilding
Ships are larger and slower than Fed ships (since Romulans tend to build big and stealthy rather than smaller, more balanced ships)

These two are example of what I mean, and I will explain more later, as I must hit the sack now. Hope to see some good discussions here.

Mariner
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan Noonien Singh
Boris
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Boris »

some of the point mariner made i have to both aggre and disadgree on.

Size of the ships is one, galaxy is a big ship, so it shouldnt be nearly the same as a Romulan war bird, which is twice its size (in the game, it was 1/4 bigger.

I like the idea of a 3D map, makes thew game more realistic, space aint 2D

And resources to be more acurate and there to be more than one. I dont want a glaxy class to take 500 bits of dilithium and 250 bits of metal, max it real or say it is 250 Thousand bits of metal, so one on the bar box actually means thousand please.

Ships fire the right amount of weapons from the right places.

Im not too fond of special weapons, anitmater mines im ok with since there cannon, but what i would like to see is a button that lets you fire from ports and how many you can fire, so from aft torpedo launcher you can lauch 2 torpedos and they use energy of the ship. and they have a real reload time

And more acurate build times, a glaxy takes a long time to build but it is one of the more powerful ships on the map.

Vast amount of ships, canon mainly and some from A2 and A1

Dominion makes a return would be a good story line, weve had enough of the borg for a while.
Trickster
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Trickster »

Thun wrote:Oh so let me guess... This Armada 3 you refer to is a mod...? If so:
1st. Its in the wrong Forum
2nd.You're using a name for a mod that might conflict Activision's or Madoc's future Copyright
3rd. Sounds like a good mod, what other things you plan to add?

Thun
I am pretty sure Mad Doc doesn't hold any copyright to Armada II. Not sure about content and whatever they might have made specifically for that game, like editing tools etc.

It also looks like Activision will no longer have the licence. So the company that would have a problem would be the biggest - Paramount (Viacom). Until another company gets the licence/licences.

They would have a problem because some people might get the impression it is an official game and not a mod.
Ambassador
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Ambassador »

Armada 3 should have a 3D system like HW/HW2
Boris
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Boris »

i would like to keep the battlefield and cinematic views, for both combat and for screen prints

Post by Guest »

The most important (Paramount, if you excuse the pun) is an upgrade system along the lines of Warzone 2100. You don't research a new ship you research a new component like a TMP Era Saucer or TNG Warp Nacelles and stuff and rather than build a new ship, you design it (like in Warzone or Impossible Creatures, which would be a good engine to base on btw) so you say right, i want a TMP Era, Cruiser Chassis, Point 1 Phaser Emitters and forward firing photons, with Warp 5 Nacelles and Basic Sensors. Basically combining Warzone 2100 with Starship creator

Complex but its the only way a commercial A3 would compete with Homeworld 2 or any other modern RTS. I think it could be easily implemented into the Impossible Creatures game engine, i mean they have to combine animal skeletons and meshes and animations together in amany combinations, all a ST ship has is just the blending and moulding of the different meshes so it looks right not like a car accident.

As for the Freeware A3, i am helping on it, and you know that (not wishing to sound big headed) i try to make mods as balanced an fun as possible without sacraficing realism, so trust me on this one guys

Btw I now have StarCraft so tell me how to mod it and i'll get started

Squire James
Boris
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Boris »

that would be so cool, but i would keep the ship chassis the same since then its more like trek

Both the shipyards and the research centres could have secondary functions. Say an Akira class vesssel was built in 2379 on the game, every so often you would get messages that say that a new armour ugrade has been created at the sciecne station, so then you can send your ship back to the shipyards to have this upgrade.

Also every so often you would get a message say that the USS Kilo needs to go back to the shipyard for service or a barrion sweep, once it arrives at the shipyard, you get a selection screen with your ship and various upgrades you can have, so through out the years you play, your ships can get more and more powerful

Post by Guest »

hey all its me posting just to assure you you all are not alone, i cant say for sure when this will be released but i think youll all be happy, if you dont mind me going all cocky, also i would like to ask you to keep this open and keep talking all your ideas are good and i will probably use most combined with my own ideas and we'll have some sorta mega armada on our hands :) alright keep the good ideas rolling
Boris
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Boris »

i would like to see the dominion alliance back, including the cardies in them, can make some stuff up about them being drafted by a changling, so we get the Dominion wars 2, and we get our butts kicked som much that we have to make our last stand at Earth before we go on the assult against the dominion.

Dominion alliance :- Jem'Hadar, Cardassians, Son'a, Breen and Gorn
Numbazix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

RE: Debris and A3

Post by Numbazix »

Agreed. Debris just doesn't vanish into thin air. The escape pod idea is cool. They shouldn't vanish either unless rescued. I imagine there'd be limited time to rescue otherwise it doesn't become urgent enough to bother doing. High ranking officers should be aboard the pods who might have secret tech plans so you could build new weapons, stations, etc.
Zix
Master of all I survey--wheres my glasses?
Boris
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Boris »

i like the idea of debris being left behind but what i would like is the option of having the ships dowed back to base and either being repaired, taking resources, or decommisioned giving resources, and i would like the idea of mothballed ships, ships that are fully capable of fighting but have no crews and are standby ships