will humans ever live in unity?

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

icewolf132
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

will humans ever live in unity?

Post by icewolf132 » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:44 pm

do you think that humans will ever live in unity before we literaly tear the earth apart? i think it is possible, but it would take a devistating thing to bring us together (like world war3)
Star Trekkin' across the universe, because I STILL can't find reverse!

Usage Permission; All are free to use and edit my work in any way they see fit, so long as credit is given where it is due.

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:38 pm

The short answer is no. For the long answers see 'origin of the species' topic in General Chat.

rodglas
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by rodglas » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:45 pm

Far too muc`h would have to change in this world for humanity to even live peacfully let alone in unity.

Rod

Numbazix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: will humans ever live in unity?

Post by Numbazix » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:06 pm

icewolf132 wrote:do you think that humans will ever live in unity before we literaly tear the earth apart? i think it is possible, but it would take a devistating thing to bring us together (like world war3)
:roll: WW3? Sure, when everyone is dead there will be unity :twisted: . Good display of opinions: See "Origin of the Species".
Zix
Master of all I survey--wheres my glasses?

Thompson
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Thompson » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:15 pm

INMO, it's possible. It would take alot though for us to set aside our differences and get along.
TACTICAL ALERT

HELP SAVE STAR TREK ENTERPRISE!

Visit www.saveenterprise.com

sgtrevill
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by sgtrevill » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:35 pm

I believe mankind may become united regardless of culture, religion and/or ethnicity. But that time is quite far away. The psychological evolution of the human being is still in its infancy.
Where did u copy that from????? lol

Setiesh
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Setiesh » Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:02 pm

its is the order of things evolution through chaos why live to destroy human nature we must get past that first

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:10 am

No, utopia is not a possiblity anywhere in the present or distant future it's a simple matter of fact. You can't put 10 people of radically different religions, ideals and, beliefs in one room and tell them to peacefully coexist for 1 day let alone 1 year. It is just a literal impossiblity, because that is what it would be like only with 6 billion. The only way that I can think of would be to take away everything that makes us different from one another which would mean color, religion, facial features, or in other words we would have to like identical. Heres a thought anyone read the book The Giver, it's a good book about the impossiblity of a utopian society. Well, there my two cents worth.
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.

TorgShop
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by TorgShop » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:50 am

Well, actually I think Yes.
Since we already have smaller kinds of unities (countries, nations), it may be possible to create a larger unity, similar like the smaller ones were created. But I agree, it will take some time until that happens

nametz
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by nametz » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:21 am

At this point, I think Christ will have to return before it possible.

Epytron_Omega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Epytron_Omega » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:33 pm

there could be peace. but only if something greater then ourselves threatened Earth, like in the Ender Series of books by Orson Scott Card. Other then that, no probably not.
Life is what you make it.

Majestic
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Majestic » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:25 pm

I agree with EO.

There would have to be some outside power (eg. aliens) that threatens the entire human race. This is the only way that I can see the human race living in peace/unity.

Or a joint undertaking. eg/. exploration of space between all countries and nations no matter how big or small.

But none of us will live long enough to find out, that is centries away at best.

Josh
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Josh » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:54 am

At every point in history, we see our race combatting issues similar to what we have now. Many of us at this age believe that we have come to the end - that World War III will come and mankind's short 3 million-year existence will be either forever changed or altogether destroyed. 1000 years ago, many people believed that the world was coming to an end as many do now. There have been many times that our race has believed that their time would be the end of times. That is one of those times - when we see people who kill just to kill, it takes away much of the morale we have. Earlier in my life, I didn't really care about the world condition because I actually didn't think it would affect me. Many years ago, however, that opinion changed and I found that if the world can't function without war, that in some way will involve me and my family and my friends.
Therefore, I have no yes/no answer to whether the human race will live in unity. For one thing, there will never be complete unity. There will always be a group of people who will want to change the rules and take things from other people to make them their own. The problem with our race is this inherent 'fear.' All of the bad decisions we all make are because of this fear and all of the bad decisions and atrocities committed in this world are done because of fear. Until/if the human race has the capacity to eliminate this fear, unity will be impossible. I find myself wondering what will happen in this century. Lately, I have had the opinion/belief that we're not going to make it through this century without the human race taking an overwhelming amount of damage. With so many people on this Earth thinking that they are doing what is right, it will be impossible to have all people on Earth believe the same thing - and thus there will always be smaller unities that threaten mankind along with smaller unities that live to bring peace to mankind.
Star Trek is an optimistic view of the future - quite likely too optimistic. I have seen much in my time here, but none of it implies that there will be unity until/after something catastrophic happens - something that will threaten everyone's survival. I do hope that the war does not destroy the fragile peace we have so labored to achieve. Somewhere deep inside, I believe there is always hope even in these darkening times. There is only one time, I believe, when all hope is lost - it is the day we give up or die. Fear can break all hope, potentially. When we experience life through the eyes of someone less advantaged, we come to appreciate the sanctity of living and of life. For America, that day will come. We see on the news footage of mankind becoming more enfuriated - more violent - more disrespectful of any life that they choose to end. We have all seen much but there will be more - unity is definitely far off for our entire race. As World War III occurred in the 21st century in Star Trek, that is likely to be the fate in the real world. That war, along with all the wars this nation and this world have fought, will come to test all of us in some way. I wish that I could say to the world - don't give up hope. But what I wish in even more is for the people of the world to seriously listen to that message and not to discard it in the synical ways the world has been taught. That would at least be a start to peace. When the people discard fear inplace of that message, that is the day the world may become more united. So many confused, violent minds exist in this world and they would be the barriers to peace. Our race, I hope, will survive to see a day without fear and regret - a new world without a limit on how much good can come from its people! All people on Earth must make a pledge before this peace is to prosper - to agree fully that no life can be taken for granted - that survival is possible. Finally a day could come in an undetermined time when our race - all the different minds on the planet - will rise up in one voice and say that WE WILL SURVIVE - WE WILL NEVER LOSE ALL FAITH - WE WILL STAND TOGETHER! For peace to happen, the drama of that statement or a similar statement would be heard the world around!

"A day may come when the courage of man fails - when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship - but that is not this day. An hour of wars and shattered shields when the age of men comes crashing down - but that is not this day - this day we fight! By all you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand!" - Aragorn Elessar - Lord of the Rings - Return of the King.