The serious, or perhaps not so serious Mod debate......

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

willsk8forfood
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by willsk8forfood » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:17 am

What I would like to see is an all around major mod for a2 that has many elements from most of the mods we've come to enjoy. I mean not only redone multiplayer but a nice new set of missions as well. Of course my team is hard at work making the first crack at such a mod but I mean shouldn't have been this already. Personally, my favorites would be BI and Concept future, they just seemed funner with alot of additions to the game. I espacially liked VR and its new research system. Alot of good work has been done and I only hope it gets better.

Dontai
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Dontai » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:32 pm

Since no one is going to call MajorPayne 's mods horse shoot, i will or at least BI 3 no vital signs or vitality is dieing. I was perfectly happy with BI 2. Then one day i learn MP (MajorPayne) is making a mod BI3 and im just over joyed. Im thinking o good, with how good the last mods have ben, this going be even better the best mod yet. *WRONG* I play and it take like 7 min to build a ship, so i go watch tv while waiting for a *Saber* to build. Well, why i was gone the ai starting ships took out 1 star base 4 Ship and ship yard. They lost nothing ...

Safe to say that was the best realism mod to date, you actully had to wait 10 year to build your ship, but it was the worse mod in history. well intill the patch then it owned. Worse ballance in history. The next game my entire base with sovies was owned by a saber. Starting units again. It was like take every thing fun and remove it and this junk is what left over in your toilet. I wanted 20 min game top. I got a 7 min to get my first ship. In 20 min i had 2 ships and the bad guys had already get me with out building ships. BI 3 *shudders*

Second worse mod is all one mod for a1, second worse balance in history second too BI 3 unpatch. ughhh ...

SquireJames
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by SquireJames » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:36 am

Not sure if this is still an active thread, but in response to the comments about KATC, yes as its maker I agree, it did have a few bugs with the more experimental things in it, and some of the missions refused to work for reasons i still really don't understand. Rest assured KA2 will be a far more well rounded mod.

My main issue with TCs is that people never actually make them TCs. They either just re-do the same storyline and time period as A2 (Post Dominion War Trek) or when they do actually move time period or setting, they leave TNG/DS9 Trek Stuff in there!

Okay, i'll use my own mod as an example. Yes so in KA2 I use stock stations, but why replace stations for the sake of it? They work just as well as TMP Era Stations as they do TNG Era stations. Also those which need replacing, such as Starbases, the occasional shipyard and so forth, I've replaced. Same with music, the Cardassian/Borg/Species 8472 music in STA2 works fine as Gorn/ISC/Tholian music for KA2. I may change it if I find good replacements (looking into SFC II for example)

However when it comes to interface music, interface graphics and such, even little things like icons, sounds, odd sentances in the ingame voices, I try to make them correct for the era.

One big thign that does bother me about modding in general is the recent trend for secrecy and point scoring. "Our mod has 6 races in Armada 1" or "Our mod can make A2 run in Widescreen" or "look at this nice 3d model that i refuse to let anyone criticise or use". Come on people thats not the spirit! Share information, share permissions. We aren't in this for cash or glory, we are in this to make something we each would like to play. Think of it like kids with building blocks. Each kid has a few blocks and can only make a small little tower or house. However, f each kid combines their bricks together, they can make a HUGE tower or massively impressive house. Same with modding, if we combine our efforts, (and the best thing is we dont even sacrifice our own knowledge, we still keep the knowledge we learn, we dont sacrifice our models by letting other use them, we still have them on our HDs) then we can become greater than the sum of our parts. We can make something that on our own, we could not. The more we help one another, the more we can gain from that help when we ourselves are stuck.

I am not naming names, but I am sure people can gather who I am talking about. Its nothing personal, I just disagree with your ethics.

hms_custody
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by hms_custody » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:13 am

I Played Dark Alliance mod yeh and it sucked big time due to the fact was in German now come on i fort the game was English lol.

USS_Oblivion
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Oblivion » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:44 am

The only problem I had with a mod was ST VS SW. I liked to play on the map (Simply Boxes) and it didn't work out. reasons:

1: The blaster and ion cannnons from the ships had such a FRIGGIN LONG RANGE, that i couldn't set up a decent defense.

2: the super-star deastoyer kills ALL.

hms_custody
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

battlestation mod.

Post by hms_custody » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:54 pm

the best mod i played was Battlestations mod v4.5 that was ok with ship captain voices and the space acadamy very cool mod to bad they didnt finish it off or continue with it.

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:14 pm

dude no necroposting

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:32 pm

hms_custody
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

oh

Post by hms_custody » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:10 pm

oh i understand now at necropost daint understand what it ment how long i got this janitorial duties thing? mind due i like my janitorial avatar looks cool.