Money does not exist in Star Trek, So how do they...?

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:29 pm

As George Carlin once said, "If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

It's funny but quite true. It is quite unrealistic to me that the concepts of removing "want" and "working to better ourselves" are even close to being reality. We may excel in creating better technologies, it's just that we use those technologies to blow each other up more quickly. Computer chips can actually be made into circuit bombs for heaven's sakes! Heck, they even have robot airplanes that are controlled from the other side of the world that blow up stuff! Now THAT is human nature. We love to blow stuff up, and we love to have money so we can have a bunch of 'stuff' around us. And when we get too much stuff, we want more money so we can get a bigger house to put more stuff in it! Where does this equation actually end?

The way I see it these days, we're gonna be hard-pressed to make it out of this century as a species that is not endangered. If we can actually make it out of this century in one piece, I'd be highly impressed.

Another thing is, fighting for peace is getting a credit card for getting out of debt. Every war has been justified at some point as a war for peace. It's human nature to want and imagin is right, it is also not human nature to work to better ourselves (just our savings account).

Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by imagin » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:02 am

There is more to human nature than just the need to blow stuff up. Human nature is evil, and strives to do whatever harm it can to other people.
no matter what technology we make, we can never remove "want" or "need".