The Iran Question

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:09 am

Airstrikes and Missile strikes or Spec Ops will not efficently do the job.. you gotta need grunts on the ground to make sure you eliminate the threat. As this time, after witnessing the debacle with Iraq, no country has the stomach to enage in another long drawn out war with no end in sight... especially the US, who would expect to take the lead in any conflict with Iran. Sanctions is the only way to go for ... now.

JEDI3112
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by JEDI3112 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:08 am

First, you can't just change the goverment in Iran, ecause Iran is already a democracy. So for at least the Western countries that is not an option/excuse. Also since they install only democratic elected governments it is most likely that a newly elected goverment is nearly the same as the current one.

Second, if Iran has nuclear weapons, you might actually trigger the launch of them yourself by invading the country. They know they can't win, so they can just use them because, what do they have to lose?

Another problem is who decided what countries can have nukes and wich ones can't. I honestly think that there are 2 solutions to this, either ALL countries can have nukes or NOBODY can have them. The first one would ensure peace between all COUNTRIES, but terrorists may have easy acces to nukes, while the latter woudn't ensure peace, but the wars fought wouldn't cause a lot of casualties (in comparison).
Join me and together we will mod the universe.

odyssey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by odyssey » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:15 am

Better check your facts again. Iran is a theocracy in which Islam plays the dominant government role. The president and legislature are subjected to the supervision of Islamic clerics.. who really has the power in that country. Those who do not support the religious party line are banned from running for "elections"... which are btw are really a sham to counter criticism from the outside world. Opposition is not tolerated and the legitmacy of this government is a joke.

Iran does not have nukes... yet, but seems determine to make them.. with Russian assistance. It would take a few years for them to make their first bomb, but by that time ,it would be too late. Better to stop them here and now.

Who's to say who should have nuclear weapons? Do you trust a country like Iran - who have threaten to wipe Israel off the map... denied the Holocaust ever happened... who openly support terrorists.. whose leader has apocalypic visions or North Korea - who already have nukes... has the most oppresive and paranoid government in the world... starved his country to get them... with the trigger in the hands of a insane cult -like leader - or the US? Who would be more responsible? Who would you trust not to abuse or misuse this awesome power that they have on their hand? The answer would be obvious.

Zered003
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Zered003 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:23 am

The answer should be obvious but as many things in this world they are not always so obvious. While I agree with you that a country like the USA is better set up to handle the power that comes with nukes. There are many that think the US is the only country that should not have nukes. That is where the main problem lies. Every country thinks they should have nukes. The question of if they can handle it is never clear to that country itself. We have entered a new age of the world where other countries have more say in what the rest of the world does then ever before. Is it right for other countries to tell a single nation what it can and can't do? That will always be debated. And until the UN becomes a Federal form of central government it will remain that way. After 2 World Wars, I would rather see small conflicts happen then to just let it sit and become a third world war. When a third world war does start. It will be in the middle east that it begins. Or maybe it already has. Perhaps world wide terrorism is the new world war. In which you do not want a terrorist friendly nation like Iran gaining the power of nukes. Noone would be safe. When a package can make it around the world in a day. Would you want someone with a attitude of "they are willing to do anything to achieve complete power" to have access to a nuke? I would suggest everyone read a certain book. It is called, " The Politicly incorrect guide to islam and the crusades." It is a true eye opener to the exact teaching of islam that the terrorist and the islamic extremist follow. If you want to understand the situation in Iran better. Then you must understand the teachings they follow. Now I am not saying anything bad on muslims. Any religion in the hands of an extremist is a bad thing. And I do mean any religion. I know it is a bit of research by anyone truely interested but I think the knowledge will help clear your view of many situations in the world where people hide behind thier own version of a religion to get away with genecide. While Iran is the main topic here. It is only another tip of the ice berg in the whole conflict.
I enjoy the moments of peace and quite.
You know, when you dont think about anything.
I enjoy all 3 seconds of the day when that happens.

JEDI3112
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by JEDI3112 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:14 am

To be more accurate, Israel has nukes, and I trust them to the same level as Iran. And I'm not saying Iran should have them, but I'm trying to say that EVERYBODY or NOBODY should have them, and not some have them and some don't.
Join me and together we will mod the universe.

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:14 pm

The everybody or nobody approach is fine in an intellectual sense but the reality is that wacko nations- you know them when you see them- have no businnes with the Big Stick.
The Borg will rock your world!

Numbazix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Numbazix » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:18 am

Intellectually speaking if everyone had nukes it would not be long before everyone was dead 8O . Here endth the lesson.
Zix
Master of all I survey--wheres my glasses?

Zered003
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Zered003 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:30 am

Numbazix wrote:Intellectually speaking if everyone had nukes it would not be long before everyone was dead 8O . Here endth the lesson.
I strongly agree with you. It is just like there are some people you don't want getting a gun or knife. You know that they will find someone to pick on and use it.

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:16 am

Thing about nukes is its like a bunch of people pointing guns at each other in the dark. They'd have to either stand still forever in stalemate, shoot, or all drop their guns at the exact same time. So I think we must live with the idea of a world with nukes in several nations arsenals.
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to

EAS_Intrepid
Ensign
Ensign

Post by EAS_Intrepid » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:02 am

But what about a nation that has nukes (or tries to gain these WMDs) and that is, let's say untrustworthy?
Fighting member of the Four Star Alliance!
It has begun...

Zered003
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Zered003 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:22 am

EAS_Intrepid wrote:But what about a nation that has nukes (or tries to gain these WMDs) and that is, let's say untrustworthy?
While trust is important. No country has everyones trust. The only thing that anyone could go off of is history. The old saying," Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it." One must ask themselves how a country has used other weapons and power before.

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:52 pm

A bit tip-off to being fruitcake is the leader of the freaking country saying that there was no Holocaust and the Jews made it all up. Coo-Coo! Warning bells! Fruitcake alert!

Microsoft
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Microsoft » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:55 pm

It's been discovered Iran bought papers off of the "Nuclear Blackmarket" on how to build nukes. I don't know why their President keeps denying it. I think it's really stupid.

EAS_Intrepid
Ensign
Ensign

Post by EAS_Intrepid » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:20 am

The problems is not the know-how! It is the time the Iranis need to enrich the Uranium to have enough material to build that f***in' bomb.
The know-how they have has been delivered by German, French, British and Russian engineers who helped Iran.
It uses centrifuges of the German AEG and Siemes companies and other Russian and French stuff. Would it be the black-market one could say: THIS NATION IS REALLY EVIL!, but hell, they got it from US! WE gave that tech to them!

But you are Microsoft, they purchased paperson the black-market to enhance their program and have an andvance in enriching the Unranium.
Fighting member of the Four Star Alliance!
It has begun...

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:37 pm

You don't mean the US do you? Cause I'm wondering when the hell we gave them shiit since some planes during the Shah's time.