Borg VS. Dominion

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:36 pm

This is an old discussion but I like it too much to not comment on it. First I'd like to say why I think the Dominion and the Borg leave each other well enough alone.

Dominion motive: The Borg are obviously extremely powerful and even a race as arrogant as their own would have second thoughts about engaging them.

Borg motive: Gamma Quadrant who? The Borg would probably have no interest in that quadrant whatsoever; the only race they've likely ever encountered from there is not only fanatically protective of their space but biologically unyielding. I personally don't feel that the Borg would want to assimilate a race of know-nothing clones; it adds nothing of value to their collective, and as we know from the Kazon, the Borg don't assimilate what they don't think is worth assimilating. Getting their hands on a Vorta or heaven-forbid a Founder would be satisfactory to them I'm sure given the knowledge (and in the Founders' case, genetic superiority) they possess, but again probably not worth the effort. Moreover, the Borg seem unable to grasp the concept of 'full-scale war'. They seem only interested in starting conflicts that they can win with very few resources (hence the single-cube tactic), and only enter into actual wars when they're on the defensive, generally speaking.

... But if the war took place anyway...

Say goodbye to half the galaxy. I wouldn't count the Dominion out completely because as I understand it they have a much larger power-base than even the Borg, whose strangle-hold on their quadrant, as we've seen in Voyager, is weaker than one might expect. And never underestimate the Dominion's affinity for finding ever-more legions of disposable forces to throw at their enemies. This is as important a Dominion tactic as anything; in DWI (Dominion War I) they were able to enlist two very powerful forces to sick on the Alliance ahead of their own (in their mind) disposable forces. There are many races in the Delta Quadrant (some more powerful than others) that they might be able to convince to join a war with the Borg.

In the end, though, I think both races are too large and resourceful to ever be completely annihilated, even in the face of each other. There're always stragglers.

USS_Oblivion
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Oblivion » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:50 pm

hmmmm, in the battle of wolf 369, one cube took out 39 Federation warships and 11,000 lives in the process. a patial list of the ships are:

Name Registry Class
USS Ahwahnee NCC-71620 Cheyenne-class
USS Bellerophon NCC-62048 Nebula-class
USS Bonestell NCC-31600 Oberth-class
USS Buran NCC-57580 Challenger-class
USS Chekov NCC-57302 Springfield-class
USS Firebrand NCC-68723 Freedom-class
USS Kyushu NCC-65491 New Orleans-class
USS Liberator NCC-67016 Unknown
USS Melbourne NCC-62043 Ambiguous [1]
USS Princeton NCC-59804 Niagara-class
USS Roosevelt Unknown Unknown
USS Saratoga NCC-31911 Miranda-class
USS Tolstoy Unknown Unknown
USS Yamaguchi NCC-26510 Ambassador-class

those are a few known, and the Dominion have those little bitty ships that suck. I think that if the borg were to send a cube, the results would be bad for the dominion, because lets face it, the borg have better everything, and the only reason the borg cube at wolf 359 was defeated was becus of Picard. (as a side note, if the borg were to send all but 10 of thier cubes, the dominion would be wiped out.) SO SUCK ON THEM APPLES

doci7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doci7 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:13 pm

The Dominion have a lot more than just the tiny fighters; with a few exceptions they also have the very largest ships in Star Trek, and when you think of their small ships as just big smart bombs (as they have been employed as kamikaze craft) even they are fairly threatening. We know from the Voyager episodes Scorpion that the Borg aren't above the effects of some good ramming, and faced with the Borg I wouldn't be surprised if EVERY fighter, maybe even some of the larger warships, were deployed as suicide craft. The Founders' total lack of care for their followers combined with the fact that they have total phycological and physical control of them (through drugs and the fabrication that they are gods), and the fact that they do control more space than the Borg (I'm pretty sure) and can produce the needed materials for mass war much more quickly, all make them colossally formidable. Sure, they might not win, but it would at least be a two-sided fight, I would certainly think.

USS_Oblivion
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Oblivion » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:37 pm

well, you know, with all the major adaptaions and strivings the borg have made, they still don't have friggin SHIELDS

USS_Oblivion
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Oblivion » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:12 am

eh i blame the IMOD, but i am talking about ship shields. whenever you see a ST scene with the borg, they always hit the hull, never any shields.

USS_Oblivion
Ensign
Ensign

Post by USS_Oblivion » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:20 pm

the borg wouldnt be able to assimilate the founders, they are a liquid species. Any nanoprobes that enter would just be flushed out when they turn to liquid. and even they could be asimilated, they would have to fluid out of thier mechanical counterparts, and would have to be assimalated each time. Not to mention borg tech doesn't morph, only the organic part.
UNTIL SAURON CALLS MY NAME! (Or Vader figures out how to put the damned thing in his saber)