Faster then light

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

Firefly1
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year
Location: in the land of nowhere next to the land of somewhere but not as close as the land of neither here no

Faster then light

Post by Firefly1 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:34 pm

there are many theories out there on how future generations would go about propelling ships at superluminal velocity (if you think thats possible)
post the method of intersteller travel you think would be most likly or give reasons why someone elses won't work this is a debate SO DEBATE!!

i think one way to acceive superluminal travel would be to 'fold' the vessal through the zero distance medium of calibi yau space. first you would accelerate the vessal to at least 1/2 lightspeed using conventional engines this would distort space arround the vessal into a spacetime dip that would act as a boundery when the ship jumps. it would then engage the FTL drive which would 'fold' the ship into the tiny curled up dinesions of calibi yau space. these dinesions have zero distance but exist at every point in space therefor the trip would take no time and although beginning at high velocities the jump would put the ship at a standstill when it completed a jump.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

orion_butpirate
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by orion_butpirate » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:29 am

First off: clone Cameron Diaz, while somehow preserving all of the unldlessly annoying aspects of her personality (on and off screen).
Place these clones on an island. Then take a few hundred guys that would rather #%% an ironing board than the pancake chested Diaz and confine them to the Diaz filled island. A few years of listening to the yammering of that idiotic twit is all it will take. With no means of escape from the airheads, survival instincts will take hold and serve as a catalyst for evolution---and somehow those poor bastards jump to light speed!!
Simple.

imagin
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by imagin » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:54 am

Ok first off I have no clue what Orion just said :?

As for this debate I think that the most critical component of light speed travel is something to compensate for the enormous G-forces. After it is safe for the pilot all you need to do it fire some very powerful and long-lasting rockets (with a lot of fuel I might add). However with the invention of efficient fuel cells it wouldn't be a problem.

P.S. Efficient fuel cells have already been invented.

Firefly1
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year
Location: in the land of nowhere next to the land of somewhere but not as close as the land of neither here no

Post by Firefly1 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:19 am

thtas not entirly true you have to take in general reletivity. first off as long as the ship isn't accelerating there are no G-forces since the crew's velocity is equal to thtat of the ship. that and as you close on lightspeed two things happen
1. time moves slower for those aboard ship
2. the closer you get to lightspeed the more energy it takes to accelerate. so at the speed of light it takes an infinite amount of energy to move any mass therfor unless your ship is massless it can't produce enough energy for superluminal velocity. and anyone aboard would be 'frozen in time'
these are the major hurtles to overcome.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

imagin
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by imagin » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:27 pm

That may be true for most people. However I don't belive in reletivity.