Is there an afterlife?

The place where serious discussions can take place.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

imagin
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Is there an afterlife?

Post by imagin » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:06 am

This question as been asked for a long time. Personally I would like to hear your thoughts on this subject. If there is any disagreements please don't rant, rave, or exchange insults. Just exchange basic facts in a normal debate.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:52 am

I have my strange beliefs about things, and I'm sure I'll get flamed for it, and if I do I pity the person who does *cough* and I've been up for 48 hours *cough* anyways, here we go...

My facts that I know of:
- Energy: Cannot be destroyed or created, and it can be converted into matter, matter being just another form of energy except that it has the ability to have mass (energy having no mass means it can go the speed of light).

Well, energy creates everything we see and controls the interactions between all objects. It can't be destroyed or created and is basically the most elementary (object) in the universe. Energy is everywhere, like God is. I happen to believe in God for a couple of reasons:

Energy is referred to as being random, that it creates the random interactions in the universe, but not all of energy is in disorder.

Take life on Earth for instance, or on any planet for that matter: the chances of energy enabling the matter in the universe to form a situation in which life arises on a planet is EXTREMELY remote. The chances of there being advanced life on a planet, such as humans, is 1 / (more than the number of stars in the universe). This means that it shouldn't happen if there is just randomness in the universe. And there is probably other life out there, and that didn't happen all so random either.

I believe in God, and for that I may be crucified by most of society, because to me, many have forgotten it. God (who is both energy and the one who controls that energy thus making it not so random) gave us this Earth, gave us this life, for more than just to have it fade into nothingness once we die.

I believe there is an afterlife, and it's not one of those things I believe in just to protect myself from the fear of there possibly being no afterlife, it's that for me, I know there is an afterlife.

I believe that whatever you believe in will happen. If someone believes that they will fade into nothingness when they die, then that may be what happens.

Of course, the afterlife will be a whole heck of a lot different from what we envision it to be. It'll be kind of like the Q Continuum: humans cannot really understand how things work in the Q Continuum, just as we cannot comprehend what's ahead of this life.
Dead

imagin
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by imagin » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:18 pm

That is an extremely interesting theory. I never would have thought of it on my own :? . I do believe in God but I don't believe in an afterlife. I believe that everyone will die off as usual. However the people will be resurrected by God at a later date. After three of these resurrections we will live in a utopia like environment run by God. People will probably still die off in this utopia but after they die they are transformed into Gods themselves, thus the purpose of man is complete

P.S. : I also belive that God's purpose for man is to reproduce himself through us. ( After a man or woman develops the right kind of character he or she is turned into a God him/herself) Basicaly I think God wants a family.

nametz
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by nametz » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:59 pm

Personally, I've held many views on this over the years. Today my beliefs on this matter are pretty well summarized in the Apostles', Nicene, and Athanasian Creeds.

I believe one day people will be resurrected when Christ returns in His glory and ushers in a New Creation.

As for what happenes to people while we wait--I don't know. Some say the souls of the faithful reside in heaven and look down on us while the unfaithful burn in hell. Others say they both reside in the same place and wait. Others say they simply sleep and wait to wake up. Still others say their souls go into "storage" until the resurrection. I admit that on any given day my opinion here may vary, but the truth is I simply don't know right now.

Whatever the itermediary state is, I think there's at least one thing in common: we wait to be whole again. And through God, I believe I can trust Christ to make it happen.

EAS_Intrepid
Ensign
Ensign

Post by EAS_Intrepid » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:07 am

You have little funny neurons in your head, that make you love, hate, walk, run, jack off or believe in god.
When you die and your vital systems stop pumping blood through your veins, your brain activity fades away, your neurons don't work anymore.

That's it. In a few minutes your are dead. Then, there is nothing... maybe a pathetic funeral where all the people you hated or that hated you cry.
The afterlife is the family lawyer's fight for the money you left behind.

God? Frak you.
Fighting member of the Four Star Alliance!
It has begun...

nametz
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by nametz » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:52 am

Mind if I ask how you came to that?

Dontai
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Dontai » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:03 pm

Elrond wrote:I have my strange beliefs about things, and I'm sure I'll get flamed for it, and if I do I pity the person who does *cough* and I've been up for 48 hours *cough* anyways, here we go...

My facts that I know of:
- Energy: Cannot be destroyed or created, and it can be converted into matter, matter being just another form of energy except that it has the ability to have mass (energy having no mass means it can go the speed of light).

Well, energy creates everything we see and controls the interactions between all objects. It can't be destroyed or created and is basically the most elementary (object) in the universe. Energy is everywhere, like God is. I happen to believe in God for a couple of reasons:

Energy is referred to as being random, that it creates the random interactions in the universe, but not all of energy is in disorder.

Take life on Earth for instance, or on any planet for that matter: the chances of energy enabling the matter in the universe to form a situation in which life arises on a planet is EXTREMELY remote. The chances of there being advanced life on a planet, such as humans, is 1 / (more than the number of stars in the universe). This means that it shouldn't happen if there is just randomness in the universe. And there is probably other life out there, and that didn't happen all so random either.

I believe in God, and for that I may be crucified by most of society, because to me, many have forgotten it. God (who is both energy and the one who controls that energy thus making it not so random) gave us this Earth, gave us this life, for more than just to have it fade into nothingness once we die.

I believe there is an afterlife, and it's not one of those things I believe in just to protect myself from the fear of there possibly being no afterlife, it's that for me, I know there is an afterlife.

I believe that whatever you believe in will happen. If someone believes that they will fade into nothingness when they die, then that may be what happens.

Of course, the afterlife will be a whole heck of a lot different from what we envision it to be. It'll be kind of like the Q Continuum: humans cannot really understand how things work in the Q Continuum, just as we cannot comprehend what's ahead of this life.

I see im not the only smart person alive and im not only person that believe in this theory. Well here my take on the theory. Energy Cannot be destroyed or created. When you destroyed a higher form of energy, matter your simply changing it to a smaller form of energy . So if energy cannot be created or destroyed were did it come from?

I don't believe the theorys that it just appeared or it just happen . The big bang is a illogicall lie. My theory is god created him self and then created energy. Man can't just make apples appear, even life divides, it does not create more. It all conversions, but you go far enough back there is no conversion. Armada 2 mods becomes armada 2.

So somthing had to start the chain. The only logical conclusion is higher form of life had to have started it. I also do believe in a after life. Also i believe in god simply becuase every single group of human in history has believed in a god of some form. Yes we have found evidence even caveman had at one point. cowincidence i think not. I believe in higher form of conscious.

This thus is a beginning of long journey that even EAS_Intrepid will have to take. We all have to take the plunge. I also don't believe pedofiles and such are monster, i think their just people programed wrong ..

EAS_Intrepid
Ensign
Ensign

Post by EAS_Intrepid » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:51 pm

Mind if I ask how you came to that?
Scientifics and experience. You may believe in god, but you cannot neglect scientific hardfacts. Or you become an Amish.
Fighting member of the Four Star Alliance!
It has begun...

imagin
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by imagin » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:00 pm

Sure science can explain what happens when you die, but it can't discount the possibility of a resurrection.

Also I believe that God has always existed, as the bible says: God had no beginning and he has no end.

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:44 pm

I don't know about an afterlife, but I do believe in quantum immortality:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_immortality

One of me will be around somewhere.
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to

imagin
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by imagin » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:50 pm

Whoa! I never heard of that theory before! :o

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:27 pm

Sure science can explain what happens when you die, but it can't discount the possibility of a resurrection.

Also I believe that God has always existed, as the bible says: God had no beginning and he has no end.
Yep, that's where I'm at here.

Blindeye's Quantum Immortality one also hits me as one of the ones that are believable as well.
Dead