Did you know...

This room is for pic or comments that might offend other & younger viewers. Making fun of companys or people is allowed as long as it not a member of this community. ENTER ROOM AT OWN RISK!!!! You have been warned.

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch »

there's always room for Jello. :D

Did you know that life on Earth could have been seeded by the amino acids on a meteor from "out there?"
The Borg will rock your world!
Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie »

Did you know that the "Spruce Goose" was and still is the largest airplane ever to fly?
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.
blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 »

Harrie wrote:Did you know that the "Spruce Goose" was and still is the largest airplane ever to fly?
Actually........................no.

Its the Antonov 225, meant to carry the Russian Shuttle Buran

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1315000/i ... afp300.jpg
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1317779.stm
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to
Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie »

The Antonov 225 has a wingspan of 290 ft (88.4m), length of 276 ft (84m), and a height of 60 ft.

The H-4 "Spruce Goose" has a wingspan of 319 feet 11 inches, length of 218 feet 8 inches, and a height of 79 feet 4 inches.

besides that a brit site like they care about american history.

so yes, even if it only flew once. It is only shorter, it still larger. I do, do my research. Usually.
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.
blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 »

Not in weight. The Wingspan is larger due to the weaker engines.

Spruce Goose:

Max takeoff weight 400,000 pounds

Antonov 225:

Max takeoff weight 1.32 million pounds

Also, the Antonov has a larger volume

Other planes with greater weight and volume:

Airbus A-380, 1.2 million pound takeoff weight

C-5a Galaxy transport, 840,000 pound takeoff weight

Wingspan is a poor judge of size. A Cessna is larger than a glider but a glider has 3 times the wingspan. Same here. More thrust = less need for long wings.
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to
Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie »

Why are we debating about this? You see Airplane size as including all the stats, I see it as comparing the basic demensions. There are a lot of people who will agree with both of us, its like debating 'Who had Kennedy killed; Hoover or the Communists?' Ok so it really isn't but you get the idea.

Now then.

Did you know that depending on how you veiw the subject the largest airplane ever to fly was either the Spruce Goose or the Antonov 225.

The next one.

Did you know the largest battle to take place in the western hemisphere was the Battle of Gettysburg.

P.S. the wings of the Spruce Goose were made longer to accomidate the engines, also i think you're forgetting that it was built between 1942 and 1945. A time when the words "jet engine" was largerly unknown.

just an interesting picture that goes along with our discussion
Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch »

Span and length are the acknowledged dimensions for discussing a plane's size. Weight means nothing as I can name similarly sized planes all day where one in much heavier than another.

Did you know that the B-25G and H mounted a 75 MM cannon in the nose?
blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 »

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/ae ... t/km01.jpg
Recognized as the world's largest seaplane, the KM ground effect plane.

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/printerfri ... drcrd.html

As to biggest plane, I thought it was the Spruce Goose Too until I saw 3 documentaries, a BBC article, a Popular Science Article, as well as looking in world record books to see it was the 225.

Planes are classified and compared by wingspan, but size in a record setting measure are either in volume, or mass, which the 225 has the larger number.

As to jets in 1946, here is a flying wing jet. If the Spruce Goose used the same jets, its wingspan would be closer to 280 ft.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/gaz/XB49.JPG

Its the XB 49, designed by Northrop Aviation as a bomber.
Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch »

Did you all know the XB-35 was the Northrop predecessor to the YB-49 and had 4 prop pusher engines on an "all wing" layout spanning 172 feet?
Hellkite
Captain
Captain
Location: In a Valkrye-starfighter bringing hell to the enemies of the USS Midway because hell just wont wait

Post by Hellkite »

Northrop XB-35
http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/ ... _xb-35.jpg

Northrop's first job in aviation was in working for Loughead Aircraft Manufacturing Company (laterLockheed Corporation) in 1916. In 1923, Northrop joined Douglas Aircraft Company. He became chief engineer, but later rejoined Loughead — now renamed Lockheed. During his second tenure there, he worked on the Lockheed Vega, the civilian transport flown by Amelia Earhart.
CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf »

And did you all know that the Boeing B-2 stealth bomber is based off the XB-35 / YB-49. Without these 2 experimental craft, the B-2 may never have been born. :wink:
The end of one Era is near... Star Trek Armada II - All Good Things...
blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 »

Did you know the XB 35, YB 49, and B 2 all have the same wingspan of 172 ft?
CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf »

Did you know -
The SR-71 Blackbird is the fastest, highest flying jet ever built (to date).
The Space shuttle is the fastest "winged" craft, able to orbit the earth in 90 minutes. It also has a double sonic boom effect when returning to land.

The "moon buggy" employed during the Apollo missions to the moon is the fastest land vehicle. It's max speed is a mere 17 mph. But when adding in the fact that it's on the moon, and the moon is rotating,and revolving, the speed is multiplied by those factors.

There is a blackhole at the center of our galaxy, sucking up everthing in the milkyway.

Blackholes not only destroy everything that enters them, but is the source of renewal within the universe. They eject matter out their vents,hurling it towards other blackholes. When matter from different sources collide, it causes new galaxies (over a long, long time) to form.

There is some talk within the scientific world, that it may in fact be possible to create a "warp drive", thus allowing man to explore the galaxy in the (relatively speaking) near future. Of coarse, that is still some hundred years or more away.
The end of one Era is near... Star Trek Armada II - All Good Things...
Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch »

Did you know that the Northrop engineers went to the Smithsonian to make sure they weren't missing anything by inspecting the world's 1st prototype jet all-wing design the Go 229 from WW 2 Germany?
blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 »

Twitch wrote:Did you know that the Northrop engineers went to the Smithsonian to make sure they weren't missing anything by inspecting the world's 1st prototype jet all-wing design the Go 229 from WW 2 Germany?
Actually that is the Ho 229, the Horton flying wing.

Here is a rendering of her appearance in flight:

And the only known plane: