remember when....

This room is for pic or comments that might offend other & younger viewers. Making fun of companys or people is allowed as long as it not a member of this community. ENTER ROOM AT OWN RISK!!!! You have been warned.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

fetalmonkey
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

remember when....

Post by fetalmonkey » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:48 am

some have bad past expeirences and some have good but either way their good to be remebered
so this is how it goes it has to be bout something thats happened that the rest of the afc knows what your talking about

ill start
remember when gas was like 99cents a gallon
he will be missed

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:55 am

I remember fighting an army of orcs on the ash rocks of Mount Doom some ages back as well as sailing into the west and then coming back here to Earth again.

Well, seriously, recent memories. Some things are good to remember, others I'd rather not remember. I would sometimes be willing to get amnesia even if I forgot everything that happened in the last five years.

Good things: The experience of college, most of the time it was great. One thing's for sure, it kept me busy and kept my mind off of the state of the world.

Working as a programmer for a local computer company. It was a great job. Too bad it ended a few months ago, as my boss there decided to give it up and retire completely, not selling the company to anyone.

The fact that a few months ago, a pretty long relationship began with a girl that lives right down the street from me. Yay! That was especially a good thing, as in November my previous relationship ended.

Bad things: On February 16, 2003, my grandmother died. Exactly a year later on February 16, 2004, I was in student teaching and my supervising teacher was a total witch so I had to leave that goal behind. I didn't feel all too good about that, but what ya gonna do? She's had a nervous breakdown since and is no longer teaching, or so I heard - all I know is that she doesn't teach, which is much for the better.

Trying to look for another job (yep, unemployed). But I get by fixing computer problems 'off-the grid'.

Breaking up with a girl last November. She wanted to remain friends, but I never cared to talk to her, so we're just people who know each other only by recognizing each other. :? Oh well, you win some, you lose some. No big deal to me now, even then it wasn't that big of a deal. I take that term "there are plenty of fish in the sea" as gospel. And it also doesn't matter, because I've been seeing another girl for a few months now anyways, so ha!

Another bad thing: the thing with the RPG going sour twice. I don't usually take seriously the things that happen on the internet, but this place isn't just a place on the internet - it is a home away from home while I'm at home, with people I've come to know as friends. To see what happened happen in the recent upset in the middle of June was ashame.

Back to good things: But we're on new things yet again, and that at least presents its own hope. Though the RPG has taken some 'umph' away from the modding threads, I have found that myself and a few other members have materialized modding ideas just from the RPG. In fact, my idea to introduce blue shields into the game came from some idea I heard in the RPG.

Another good thing is that more attention is drawing close to my mod that I've been doing for a good long time. It's most certainly the funnest thing I've done in a while. Though Armada may seem to be pretty old, I think it's still got a lot of potential left. And I believe I'm ever-so-close to finding out all of its secrets myself. Though I'm not too great or speedy with making textures for models, the concept of the theories in Armada modding are, I think, getting me closer to discovering the series' full potential. Why, just today I modified my Xilliria (Universal Conquerers) Dreadnought to have shields that are far closer to being skin shields than any other ship I've made yet!!! By just using the simple moving around of nodes and some editting of my shield model, I'm getting closer to discovering the secrets to it. I've also been making progress on my Armada 1 version of my mod, which contains some replacement units that are in Armada 1 but not Armada 2 (hehe, modular stations with shipyards and research stations).

One Federation starbase I'm making looks almost like a Spacedock, but is built in semi-quarters. The base for the station is a verticle plexus that is very tough and provides the rest of the station with the structural integrity it needs. This verticle plexus builds pods that look like quarters of a Spacedock. Two areas are for repair - two others for construction. That completes the upper docking part of the spacedock. But that is not all!!! Building another pod lower down the spacedock (near the bulge of the station right near the bottom of it) provides research upgrades and the other half-pod provides a shipyard attachment. Screenshots will be coming up on that one. But that station is ONLY for Armada 1, as Armada 2 so far to my knowledge does not support the capability to have a pod as a shipyard or repair facility. The textures and some minor model details need to be exacted, but it's well-worth it to get a full Federation base out of just one station!

Included on the station besides those pods are 'turret pods' that build their own research pods that act as turrets. This way, defenses can be extended outwards in a small, albeit, strong network of stationary defense platforms.
Dead

Numbazix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Numbazix » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:21 pm

I remember when cigs could be bought at the PX for 25 cents a pack, when gas was 65 cents a gal.
Zix
Master of all I survey--wheres my glasses?

dubester
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by dubester » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:57 pm

Well, i remember when i was able to drive (legally) the gas was $1.50/gal.

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:25 pm

my mom remembers getting a box of 20 candy bars to split between herself, her brother, and two sisters for chirstmas, and four candy bars had quarters taped to them, which meant 5 more candy bars. So in all she got 10 candy bars and their neighbor only paid about 2 dollars for the gift.

or how about when 33.6k modems could be described as 'lightning fast'.
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.

draconis_sharp
Ensign
Ensign

Post by draconis_sharp » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:57 pm

I can remember that dream I had a few days ago when I went back in time to 1991 and realized how outdated everything was in comparison to today. I then realized I would have to wait for all the good Star Trek: TNG episodes just before I woke up. Sorta like when you wake up just when something in your dream is about to end you.

Zered003
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Zered003 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:12 am

I remember when gas was 88 cents a gallon.

I remember getting on something called ICQ and getting a 6mil number, then a 9 mil number and being shocked at how high it was.

I remember a friend telling me about a Star Trek game called Armada 2 and told me to go to a site called AFC to DL the update for it.
Then a year later before my username was deleted getting back on to "post" and discovering how fun it is to be there.

I remember how my mom sacrifed everything to give me and my 2 brothers a great home all by herself.
I enjoy the moments of peace and quite.
You know, when you dont think about anything.
I enjoy all 3 seconds of the day when that happens.

fetalmonkey
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by fetalmonkey » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:47 am

i remember when star wars episode 1 came to theaters in cali everyone was sleeping in front of the movie theater to get there ticket like i did :P
he will be missed

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:18 pm

I remember when NYC bus fare was 1.50 each way instead of 2 dollars.

I also remember when I had a Pentium 166 mhz computer (Used it until 2000)
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:25 pm

I remember when Cobol was the standard of databasing programming. huh. :P
Dead

Zered003
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Zered003 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:21 pm

I remember when we had an old 386 with 50MB of Hard Drive space.

I remember when you had to know how to use DOS.

I remember when Windows was only for the wealthy b/c they were the only ones who could afford the computers that could run it.

I remember when the idea of filling that 50MB HD was a near impossibility. Really, who at that time would ever need to use 50MB of space on a home computer to store THAT much information?
I enjoy the moments of peace and quite.
You know, when you dont think about anything.
I enjoy all 3 seconds of the day when that happens.

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:47 pm

I can remember when I bought my new 1973 Z-28 which I still have, gas was 53¢ a gallon. But in 71-72 it was 25¢ a gallon at the independent stations.

When I was 16 and crusin' gas cost like 15¢ a gallon in 1964 so a couple bucks was plenty to drive all night even in a 371 CID Olds 98.
Dam :cry: n!

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:29 pm

I remember when:

I was using DOS 5.0, and liked it. And then Windows 3.0 came out, but was so lame. Then windows 3.11 and DOS 6.22 and things were rocking. You had this little program called paint, that supported 16 colors and I spent hours playing with that.

When a Mac II was the best money could buy, as far as computers.

Spending all night on the weekends trying to beat some new game on the Atari 2600. ( and you really didn't beat them, since they started all over after that).

The Nintendo came out and it was so cool. My mother didn't get me one until they were only $100.00, and I had to beg her for a long time.

When someone's word was worth something. That all started changing as I grew up.

Watching the shuttle launch in class when out of the blue, it blew up (the STS Challenger). It was the first time the class got to watch a live broadcast of a launch.
The end of one Era is near... Star Trek Armada II - All Good Things...

fetalmonkey
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by fetalmonkey » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:26 am

i remember when there were three chefs on the box of cinnamon toast crunch

i remember when cartoon violence was the best cartoons ever

i remember when fraggle rock first appeared on hbo

i remember when mtv was only music videos
he will be missed

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:30 am

CaptSyf wrote:I remember when:

I was using DOS 5.0, and liked it. And then Windows 3.0 came out, but was so lame. Then windows 3.11 and DOS 6.22 and things were rocking. You had this little program called paint, that supported 16 colors and I spent hours playing with that.

When a Mac II was the best money could buy, as far as computers.

Spending all night on the weekends trying to beat some new game on the Atari 2600. ( and you really didn't beat them, since they started all over after that).

The Nintendo came out and it was so cool. My mother didn't get me one until they were only $100.00, and I had to beg her for a long time.

When someone's word was worth something. That all started changing as I grew up.

Watching the shuttle launch in class when out of the blue, it blew up (the STS Challenger). It was the first time the class got to watch a live broadcast of a launch.

Yeah, Syf, I remember all of that. Things were just so much simpler back in the 70s and 80s. A person's word was worth something and that sure changed as time went by - especially when the 1990's went on. Now it's the 21st century, and everything is pretty much the opposite of what it was 20 years ago. :( Well, in some ways it's good (as far as technology), but there's not much else that's good about the current world.
Dead