Weird and wacky words (word trivia welcomed)

This room is for pic or comments that might offend other & younger viewers. Making fun of companys or people is allowed as long as it not a member of this community. ENTER ROOM AT OWN RISK!!!! You have been warned.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

nuketheborg
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by nuketheborg » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:00 pm

DONAUDAMPFSCHIFFAHRTSELEKTRIZITAETENHAUPTBETRIEBSWERKBAUUNTERBEAMTENGESELLSCHAFT - Yes that is one word. It is the longest word in German meaning : "the club for subordinate officials of the head office management of the Danube steamboat electrical services (name of a pre-war club in Vienna)"

Good luck trying to pronounce it! :lol:

Nuketheborg

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:31 pm

Scheissa!!!! 8O 8O
The Borg will rock your world!

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:08 pm

Schadenfreude

Only the Germans would make a word just for laughing at someone else's expense
Last edited by blindeye01 on Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:15 am

Here's one, Llanfairpwllgwyngyll its a town in Wales. I think it was once called Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch which meant "St. Mary's Church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool of Llantysilio of the red cave" or "St. Mary's by the white aspen over the whirlpool, and St. Tysilio's by the red cave" in welsh. Dont ask me which translation i think is right, i'll stick with the newer name.
Last edited by Harrie on Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:50 am

Well, I think you just had some schadenfreude from me. :D
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:55 am

you could be right. :wink:
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:54 am

On the road between L.A. and Las Vegas in the desert is a exit to a road called 'Zzyzx' and no one has any idea what it means.

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:43 pm

Kyrgyzstan

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:46 pm

Dalworthington Gardens is the longest place name in Texas.

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:49 am

There is a bridge in New York called the Kosciusko Bridge named after the polish general that aided us in the Revolutionary War.

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:29 am

'Krungthepmahanakornamornratanakosinmahintarayutthayamahadilokphopnopparatrajathaniburiromudomrajaniwesmahasatharnamornphimarnavatarnsathitsakkattiyavisanukamprasit' is the the proper name of Bangkok, Thailand. It has 163 letters and means:

'The great city of angels, the supreme unconqueralble land of the great immortal divinity, the royal capital of nine noble gems, the pleasant city, with plenty of grand royal palaces, and divine paradises for the reincarnated deity, given by Indra and created by the god of crafting.'

It also happens to be the longest place name in the world.

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:41 am

I always thought the word "quisling" was interesting since it was the name of the Norwegian who betrayed his country to the Nazis and was then made a puppet ruler. Only other words that have same meaning associated are "Benidict Arnold."

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:52 pm

'stewardesses' is the longest word that can be type properly with only the left hand.

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:39 pm

I always thought xenophbia was funny. No it's not being afraid of Xena. It's a fear of strangers or foreigners.

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:43 pm

though it might be good to be afraid of her unless your Casanova or Adonis.

Casanova: a charming seducer of women who moves quickly from one casual relationship to another, or who constantly pesters women in his pursuits. One of my firends calls me this. :wink:

Adonis: in Greek mythology, a handsome youth loved by Aphrodite and Persephone. He was killed while hunting boar, but was allowed by Zeus to divide his time between Aphrodite on earth and Persephone in the underworld. Or an extremely handsome young man.