Weird and wacky words (word trivia welcomed)

This room is for pic or comments that might offend other & younger viewers. Making fun of companys or people is allowed as long as it not a member of this community. ENTER ROOM AT OWN RISK!!!! You have been warned.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:30 pm

N-Methyl Aspartate - a chemical involved in brain functions.
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:39 pm

I always loved the German word Ausgeihtsiechnet- not exactly sure of spelling any more, but phonetically - aus gate sike net.

It means excellent and just rolls off the tongue.
The Borg will rock your world!

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:46 pm

is it ausgezeichnet?

The smallest number spelled with 100 letters is 11,373,373,373 (eleven billion three hundred seventy-three million three hundred seventy-three thousand three hundred seventy-three).
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:34 am

Tokio was how English-speaking folks spelled the capital of Japan during WW2. For some reason we endied up with Tokyo. :?

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:55 pm

How about a foible? The word comes from the french for the end of a sword, which is the most frail part.
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to

Twitch
Commander
Commander

Post by Twitch » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:38 am

Viola is a great word no one knows how to spell. Everyone thinks phonetic and it comes out "waa-la." If they see it they pronounce it "vee-ola" like the musical instrument sounds. Crazy Frenchies! :lol:

blindeye01
Captain
Captain

Post by blindeye01 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:35 pm

Its also an instrument pronounced as it is spelled. The viola (vee-o-lah) is a slightly larger, therefore deeper violin-type string instrument.