Announcement Of A New Mod

Any game you like to mod, come talk about it here!!

Moderators: thunderchero, MrVulcan

fleetadmiralmax
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Announcement Of A New Mod

Post by fleetadmiralmax » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:57 am

Ok i have not seen any farcape ships models or anything made for armada 1 or 2 so i have taken it apone myself to make mod based on farscape

there will be 2 races(maybe more) the Peacekeepers and the Scarens and also map objects like leviathens that can be captured and turned into slaves. The mod will be set in about the time of the peacekeeper wars thats all for now and i will update very soon (basically the idea just came into my head last night,im a design student so i need a challenge) i think i may do it for armada 1

ok i have no modding experience (except for being a beta tester for a mod) at all so i need alittle help is there any good tutorials out there and programs i will need to help me to make this mod

also if anyone has any designs for ships then i would be very greatful for your assistance

fleetadmiralmax
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by fleetadmiralmax » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:04 am

well i guess no one is intrested in helping i cant do this mod on my own you know i completed what the mod will consiste of but i cant do it alone out there who would be willing to help. :roll:

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:28 am

Sometimes one has to do it alone. I would like to see this Farscape Mod, when completed.
The end of one Era is near... Star Trek Armada II - All Good Things...

Logius
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Logius » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:24 pm

In the General Modding forum there's a topic called "Modding Programs" or something like that. You'll find out which are the most preferred programs to use. The hardest part about doing a mod from what I've seen is finding people to make the ships/stations. A little work and you can figure out most of the other stuff on your own, but in order to make ships you need special software that isn't cheap.

Good luck on this. And if you need help on anything besides making ships, just ask, pelnty of folks here are happy to offer advice or help, myself included.
Klingon: Your mother mates with toasters!
Data: How did you find out?!

kai121
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by kai121 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:14 am

or...you could be like captsyf and just go solo :P

fleetadmiralmax
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by fleetadmiralmax » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:04 pm

i need help well i guess im not going to do it then

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:31 pm

If I would have noticed this thread before now, I would have offered to help. Though I am working on my own mod, converting some ships for a couple of people, and working on a couple of other's problems in modding, I still have very adequate time to help, given that I have to find a new job since the company I worked at has gone out of business (the founder and president decided to give it up unfortunately - good thing they decided before the end of the company to give all those still working good feedback so that we can all get back to work somewhere quickly). But anyway, since I'm not working at the time-being, I have much time to get things done - working on home projects, working on modding, going anywhere I want to go - heck, I could even tour the country taking digital photos of all the things I will see out there!

That being said, I'd still love to help anyway that I can. My texturing skills as far as making new models isn't that great yet, but as far as basic ship and station modelling, I can do that. Would be better if I had 3dsmax, but ms3d is quite useful as well!

I don't have an official team for my mod myself - a lot of the stuff I did took over a year to do - over two years as far as when I first got into modding Armada 2. The last year I have been doing some of the larger-scale stuff for the mod. The hardest part is making sure everything functions together and is somewhat balanced. I just the other day had to edit ALL of the models I have ever made so that the hardpoints would face away from the hull - doing so requires putting null joints that are connected to the hardpoints - the null hardpoints (jnt01 for instance) would point directly away from the hull, and the weapons are now set to fire within a 160-degree angle - only in one direction so that they don't go through the ship. Lots of work there.

But a lot of stuff I can help you with - map editting (sort of basic knowledge of it), odf editting (since it was the first thing I learned to do, I know this a lot), techtree and AI editting, wireframe making, build button making, basic texture editting, sprite editting, input.map editting (controls how hotkeys work in the game), dynamic_localized_strings.h editting, art_cfg.h editting, and more that I may not have mentioned.

If you need to make some new missions for the maps, I usually just recycle already-used scripts to use for the maps so that it at least gives the maps the ability to fail the mission if a hero unit is destroyed.

But don't give up on the modding. I might be able to help somewhere along the line! :)

Atlantis
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Atlantis » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:25 am

Going solo on modding sucks, i'd recommend against it :)

Yeah a Farscape mod would be cool. I've still got a few things in the list of stuff i've already agreed to do, but once they're sorted, i'll help you out if you like. (Modelling, Texturing, GUI, and Weapon GFX)

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:03 pm

Oh I dont' know Atlantis. Bare in mind that making a project yourself means you can keep tabs on all aspects of what your going to be changing. Also the results are less bugged.

DistantUK
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by DistantUK » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:05 pm

i am working on my mod, on my own, except i have a mate and someone to beta test.