Armada 3 Ideas

Talk here about any Star Trek Game you play.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

How much would you pay to have a community right to develop a sequel to "Star Trek: Armada 2"?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:41 pm

$25,000
40%
$50,000
10%
$75,000 or more
50%

Total votes: 10

JNTK
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Armada 3 Ideas

Post by JNTK » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:25 pm

I might be showing my age here, but there was a time on gaming.startrek.com that a forum existed for all Trek games, and one of the subjects was: Ideas For Armada 3 (That was not the exact name of the topic) and I thought it would be nice to ponder...

I have to go now. :(

*Edit* My first idea: turn the game into something like Axis and Allies, in that there is a fleet commander per unit. you recruit the main ship, and, after awhile, you get more ships, based on your experience. also, the supply zones, they seem interesting. If you don't have the slightest idea of what I am talking about, click here, or download the demo.

My second idea: make ships customizable in the game, like, when they get built, do you want it to have 14 phaser banks and 5 torp. tubes, or ... to a limit of ship balance.

My third idea: StarShip Carriers! (this is not a copout on other games that have the idea of transporting units in order to save their strength, weapons, etc.) Have a big ship that can hold other ships, not just a build feature.

More will come if this thread is active, as I would love to have it like that.
Ultimate Star Trek Fan: JNTK

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:43 pm

-> Another one: Each object in the game can have more than 1 classLabel! :lol: That way, the game could have anything be possible (well, almost anything).

-> Veterancy - determined by the number of ships a ship kills or how much damage the ship has survived or how many ships it's captured (if it's an assault or invasion ship).

-> Real view - view the space the way it would look in reality - where the ships are very very very small compared to the rest of space - scrolling across the map in this view wouldn't be practical, as you would only see a very small area of it - but all the planets, stations, ships, and stars would be to scale. And you could always switch back to tactical or strategic view.

-> Have an actual mission editor so that every map that we made didn't have to have just one objective (which is destroy all enemy ships and stations). It would give an edge to the map modding - Starcraft had a map and mission editor - and that was cool - why not Armada 3!

-> More realistic physics - add thermal effects (when a ship is close to a star, the shields may start going down depending on how close it is), gravity effects for planets and stars, and a new variable in the odf file - mass. Mass is pretty much one of the primary features of physics, so it would be good to have that in game objects. May be more complicated that way, but would be more realistic and would give a way of finding out how to determine the cost of a ship or station.

-> Ships can go into orbit - this goes along with the realistic physics. It could be done - I created a C++ program involving objects in the solar system and moving those objects around creates gravitational effects.

-> Ability to add new classLabels just to add more capabilities to the game.

-> Better AI - add new AI use files that can be used to allow the AI to use newly-created weapons. Also, ships won't just stay in one place and do nothing anymore.

-> Have the game available on DVD as an option to CD-Rom.

-> Allow for use of longer soundtracks - and the use of MP3s in game (of course, we can play mp3's on Winamp while we play the game, but it would be more functional if we could just play them in-game). Also, there wouldn't have to be an odf command for what music to use - you could just go in to a sound option screen and then pick the tracks you want to play - even search for new ones.

-> Integrate a debug program for modding that shows whether or not your sprites are not found in the textures folder (like if you use wfente for a wireframe and it doesn't exist, it will create a file that will allow you to see this). This way, a modder can keep track of what they have to do. Actually, this can be developed in a third-party program. I may be releasing something like this in a couple of months.

-> Add gamepad capability to the game and have your ships set up so that they can switch to manual controls and that would transfer the ship's motion to your gamepad - you would have command of just one ship with your gamepad, but it would give you flexibility when assailing enemy bases. Also, doing manual maneuvers like this in the game will allow for greater avoidance of enemy weapon fire. Also, a fleet of ships can be placed in a formation and then a special button could appear that allows you to control the entire fleet with the gamepad - they would stay in formation and it would look like a Star Trek 'airshow'.

-> All weapons are set on an ammo limit. An odf command can override this. Phasers can be also set to recharge when they are burning out. Weapon power can be transferred manually or automatically (especially when doing so over an entire fleet).

-> A special fleet command selection mode would be nice - you could select as many ships as you wanted, though they wouldn't show detailed information on the ships. It would be like selecting a bunch of troops on Command and Conquer. This mode could also be toggled on/off.

-> New functions in the game that allow for more realistic firing and hitting effects. We've all seen phasers and photon torpedoes embed themselves in the hull of ships and hit somewhere in the center - this looks pretty hoakey. All objects in the game would have surfaces that could not be penetrated until breeched. Also, torpedoes and weapons would not go through ships - that is just rediculous. Also, ships can go inside of starbases without coming out through the hull of the starbase - I've seen that happen a lot.

-> A special button would be added for ships and weapons that would inform the player that a ship or weapon has been configured incorrectly - this button could not be clicked on so that there would be no crash. It would be able to tell someone what isn't working right so they can go and change it without a crash happening.

-> Have alt+tab work in-game. Pressing alt+tab in game usually crashes the game - it would be cool if it didn't.

That's all for now. I don't expect even half of that to be in Armada 3, but it would be nice if even some of that was in it - particularly the classLabel things, the physics things, mission editor, and AI things.

CaptSyf
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptSyf » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:55 pm

I'd like to see a fleet configuration option. That would allow the player a little window that has a 3D graph. You could assign each ship in a fleet to a specific position in the fleet. Also, when doing so, you can assign each ship a special role within that fleet. You could designate that ships X and Y protect ship Z during combat. Then, during combat, they would stay within a specific formation, protect the "main" ship if there is hostiles attacking it. If the fleet is on the offense, then they would use their weapons to attack the target, as long as the ship they are protecting is not being attacked.

Larger maps. Things within a sector (the map) should be scaled. More specific, I think a map scaled to 1 or 2 lightyears would be nice. Also when designing a custom map, the planets could have moons, and all, and complete star systems with orbit pathing for the planets and moons, meaning the planets would orbit the star, and the moons would orbit the planets.

Added to the map editor, more background options. SPace is vast, and the back props (starfields) could reflect different parts of deep space. Even have Hubble pictures as backprops

Random events. Comets, asteroids, and other stuff. During play, if you have a colony, that colony, and/or your ships and stations could be damaged by impacts with other objects like say, a comet hitting the colony. Also, have dust fields that could damage your ship like nebulas do. Another random event, is random technical problems with your ships and stations. your ship is ordered to go to a part of the map, and along the way, the warp core disables, causing the ship to drop out of warp, and adrift. These could easily be added into the code, using a simple array, with the variables set to produce these on a 1 in 1,000 chance. When I was learning C++, this is one simple piece of code I had to do. I am shocked that this wasn't added to the code of A1 or A2. random events would keep the game more "fresh". It wouldn't happen all the time, but when it does, it would "throw a wrench" into a player's tactics.

Window nodes. when making a ship, one of the things that would be cool, is to add to the hiearchy additional HPs, coded as HPWs (e.g. hpw01, hpw02 and so on). that when the model is put in the game, the window lights would light up (glow). The idea is like vents, where they use sprite instead of actually being part of the mesh, adding polys to it. And when the ship is built, right before the ship leaves the dock, the windows would come on. Also, when a technical event happens to the ship, those same window lights could flicker on and off.

Also, add to the engine, more shading details. When a light is coming from say, the right, then the left side of an object like a ship of planet would be real dark, even black. Those light nodes I mentioned would be a real cool effect with this, have a ship on the dark side of a planet, and all you would see is the the glow off bassards, coils, com-dish and the windows of the ship. Code the enging to produce shadows. that means, with ship in the light, the faces of the model would cause shadows across the ship, and even on nearby objects, like another ship in close formation would have the other ship's shadow on it. This would give the game a more realistic look. To add to this, allow faces on the models to be glossy, reflecting light. A ship would look almost real this way.

A command mode window, like was mentioned above (game pad interface), were you could control any ship, thus taking command of it.
The end of one Era is near... Star Trek Armada II - All Good Things...

Epytron_Omega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Epytron_Omega » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:41 pm

ahhh very interesting toipic, ok time for my two cents:

Damage Effects -- I mean I love how they have stuff for when the engines and lifesupport is down, but what about more? My idea is to have damage nodes that go off when your ships are hit, like a grey emitter that gives off atmosphere as it were, and then when the ships hull is actually damaged where atmoshpere would vent alot, have sort of gapping holes in the hull with the grey emitters and such.

Colonies -- Well like in Imperium Galactica II: Alliances why not have the ability to build colonies on planets, but not be able to influence them other then telling them what sort of things they will build, and what sort of things to research and develope for the fleet and such.

Unique Attributes -- Each ship can gain certain abilities, unique to that ship only, no other ships in the fleet or class. Like say you have an Intrepid Class called say, USS Relevant, it goes into battle several times, and after the last fight, while heading back home for repairs, gained the ability to project holographic ships that are attacked by the enemy (this was in an episode of Voyager, I think early on, maybe 2nd or 3rd season).

EO
Life is what you make it.

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:08 am

Wow - a lotta great ideas! I really hope that above all, they give the ability in the game to have objects with more than 1 classLabel, and that the AI is actually intelligent. Right now, Armada 2 has AS (Artificial Stupidity) and it needs to be closer to AI. Veterancy is a good option to consider for the next game - it could upgrade the hull, the maneuverability and speed, the weapons rate, shields, resistance to certain special weapons, or new weapons. But the classLabel thing needs to be done well in the next game - have it so that an object can have 2 or more of them so that it gives a ton more possibility to modding. Armada 2 was made to be more moddable than A1, but was only marginally more moddable - and besides, the A1 odf files can just be downloaded and that's all. I hope to see everything we brainstormed become reality in Armada 3 - but even if half of it is in the game, along with super graphics, I'd say it would be a great game!

I figure, why not have them release it on DVD - if it's gonna represent Trek gaming for a few years or more, it should be good and not have any big bugs in it - Armada didn't have that many at all, but if EA produces the game (and they're known for having at least several bugs in every game), then there will have to be a bunch of patches released. Armada 2 only had like 2 patches. But I believe patches should be included for more than just counteracting bugs - new patches could be made that include new capabilities for the game - and people who have the CD-Key can register online and then download these patches. These new capabilities could be new classLabels, new textures, new models, whatever the company added after releasing the game. It would attract a lot more players for A3 and it may even open the road wide for future addons to the game (like new missions and campaigns made by the company). A mission editor would be perfect! Even for Armada 2 - I wish they had one for that - we'd be playing single player missions all the time if we had the ability to add new campaigns.

I really can't wait for Armada 3 or an equivalent Star Trek game - it's way way way overdue! Heck, even if the sourcecode was released for one of the two first games, it would be great! Then we would be releasing stuff all the time and even the smallest mods would be awesome! The newest revolution I came up with is the cloaking nebula which replaces the cloak for some hero ships - it allows shields while cloaked - since it doesn't use a cloak or phase cloak. If the sourcecode were released, this mod would instead be for a regular or phase cloak that allows the ship to use shields.

One thing I hope for the next game is that something with Paramount and Viacom doesn't happen to jeopardize the gaming industry again (like lawyers and poop like that). But all we can do is hope that there will be an Armada 3 in the very near future! Ooooh, can't wait! :)

Corbomite_Ray
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Corbomite_Ray » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:13 am

Somehow I did too good of a job with my personal mod's AI...the Federation, Cardassians, and Dominion have an annoying tendancy to build really well-structured big fleets and kill me in late game.

Well, then there's the fact that the Dominion builds like 80 destroyers per game.
Stalwart guardian of the Star Wars Expanded Universe, because it was so artistically done

"You're in Starfleet. Insanity is not an option; it's a requirement."
- Captain Anthony Felfire

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:48 am

That's pretty good - a good AI means a good game! :)

JNTK
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Glad to read all your comments

Post by JNTK » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:29 pm

I like all of these ideas, and I just thought of something, Parts Yards! You could have a neutral facility that deals in ship parts: "You like a new warp core? I have a Quantum Slipstream enabled one for only 3000 Dilithium..."

*Edit 2-8-2005/1251 hrs* I also thought of a kind of, recycle ships thing. rather than simply decommisioning you ship once you don't want it anymore, you could sell it to a neutral shipyard, they in turn, "sell" it to another player, only with a bomb or something that keeps that sector in order...

*Edit 2-8-2005/1257 hrs* Sabotage crews! crews that will go to an enemy station and attempt to destroy a vital system; true, they will be destroyed themselves, but, at least more than a number that represents a system going down, actual components being damaged, "Captain, our shield generator in section 42-J is offline. We need to send someone their or we'll have no shields in that section!"

*Edit 2-8-2005/1310 hrs* vectoring with the ships, like a destination required (helpful in MP..."Allies, my sensors just went down and none of my ships can see five meters in front of them...send help to 124 mark 3 on the double" this could be a preset string, or Voice-Over-Net thing)

*Edit 2-8-2005/1313 hrs* more later

JNTK
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

oops

Post by JNTK » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:57 pm

meant 'there' in my last post, with the shield thing

I think a ship that has a detachable hull would be nice. Think about it, you get torn up in battle, why not have a secondary hull, like some of the ships in one of the shows, not sure of which one.

this next idea is straight out of Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic

caravans! this concept allowed the player to pack up their entire city in a caravan (of the Nomad race) and take it to wherever they want it to rebuild it. In A3, have the ability to move an entire base, with yards, turrets, everything, to a new location based on a threat to that sector happening (theta radiation, destroying subspace with Omega...) that forces, or doesn't force... you to take your base, yards, turrets, and everything you want to salvage, but not completely rebuild... :x to a new spot.

Epytron_Omega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Epytron_Omega » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:13 pm

Here is a couple others that I have come up with:

Hull color -- have a basic color that is what they normally are, but have the ability to texture them different colors, like in Warhammer 40,000 Dawn Of War, that way your fleet is yours, not anyone elses.

Faction Symbol -- Same as the hull color idea, but have a normal symbol (i.e. federation, Romulan, etc.) but also have the ability to make your own symbol, specifically for your fleet, ones to choose from, and the ability to create your own.

ECM's -- for those that arent complete technical junkies, Electronic Counter Measures. Have them on every ship, each with a certain response time to weapons that are attacking it, with the ability to upgrade that time, to where it responds a lot faster.

Fighter Carriers -- a simple request, ships that are based soly on having fighters to do the dirty work. Each ship could have a small compliment of shuttles, but fighters are unique to carriers, and that would be a great option, we can do it in A2, but it doesnt look very right, I mean they are more like construction bees than fighters.

EO
Life is what you make it.

icewolf132
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by icewolf132 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:30 am

I like the ideas people are shareing here :)

-Id love it if the AI would "learn" from combat, kind of like saying "ok, theres been alot of atacks on our station here so lets build afew more turrets and send afew destroyers. here the enemy keeps holding us back from their base, so lets find a way around them. our fleets have been atacked here afew times, so lets start sending scouts ahead for awhile to see if things are safe." Id also love it if the cloak AI was improved.

-Limited repair for ships, make it so certant ships can only repair a certant amount of damage to their hull and systems.

-Battle-chatter. Battle-chatter is kind of like what was used in Homeworld, where when your zoomed close enough to a ship you can hear the captain issueing combat commands to the crew and comments like "We're losing impulse power! Hull breach! We are the borg, you will be assimilated, resistance is futile." ( 8O :lol: ) Also, I wouldn't mind some misc. chatter to :)

-I think that this was metioned before, but the ability for starships to study things like stars, comets, nebulas, ect. to gain a mini-upgrade for all/most ships and stations. for example; you send a science ship to study a Dilithium moon, after abit of scaning and studying the captain of the ship informs you that they have found a way to raise the amount of dilith. mined from a moon by 15%. Also, make it so that there is a % chance that the scaning will not reveal anything and the amount of the upgrade gain yelds-but change that % and the kind of mini-upgrade by the CLASS of ship; A freighter could easly spot the dilith. upgrade mentioned earlier, but if a Intrepid class scaned the moon it might come up with a warp intergerty feild improvement upgrade...does all of that make sense? :?

-Beter combat movement, yes its been done in armada (atleast in A1, I dont remeber if it was in A2 or not), but you have to admit, it wasnt all that good. what id like to see is something like a B'Rel zooming tward a ship with dusruptors blazing, flying past the ship for a distance then making a sharp turn and blasting again. it would also be abit fun to see some of the smaller ships like scouts and destroyers to atempt to dodge torpedos and pulse beams :)

-I agree with CaptSyf, Dynamic glows & lights would be a very nice adition! I rather like the window node idea.

-In A2/A1 when you captured an enemy ship the team color quickly changed to your team color, ok, thats nice, but why wouldn't some of the races "repaint" the ships to their color design? like if the romulans captured a federation ship they would redo the armor with a warbirdish style (just the textures of the ship, not the mesh). also, why not make a varied "morphing" effect? if the rommies capture a fed scout over something like 15 seconds the textures will "morph" into a rommie style, but if they capture a galaxy class it would take about 50 seconds due to the greater size

thats more or less it for me, id like to see modding abit more flexable and diverse :)

-ice
Star Trekkin' across the universe, because I STILL can't find reverse!

Usage Permission; All are free to use and edit my work in any way they see fit, so long as credit is given where it is due.

Aquanori
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Aquanori » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:19 am

-Make it possible to research an enemy special weapon after you took over on of their ships - for example: if you capture a scimitar class ship (unlikely, i know :D ) you should be able to examine the thaleron cannon, research it and equip your own ships with it

-As others said before make "ship-tuning or -refiting possible: change internal parts like weapons or warp drive

-make maps a LOT bigger and make the size of objects more realistic - maybe even make it possible to contoll the entire forces of the race you are playing by changing the sector you are in (but that would probably take more processing power than most computers have)

-Give the federation the phase cloak back! for those who have seen the TNG episode "Pegasus" know that the phase cloak was an federation development, although illegal due to some treaty with the romulans....

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:24 am

@Aquanori - I think it actually is possible to be able to have that kind of research in Armada 2. If, in your example, the Federation captures the Scimitar, there could be an alternate techtree:

federation_pod_theleron.odf 1 rscimitar.odf
gswFTheleron.odf 1 federation_pod_theleron.odf

federation_pod_theleron: this pod could be built if the Scimitar was captured.

gswFTheleron.odf: The special weapon the Federation would be able to use if they built the above-listed pod.

With this, if you captured the Scimitar, you would be able to build a theleron radiation upgrade pod on some research station that you have. After building this, some ships could gain access to the Theleron weapon.

Heck, there is even another possibility: ships could build that pod to equip themselves with the weapon - the pod would have the theleron beam weapon on it. That would mean any ship you configured to use weapon pods could be made to use the theleron beam.

Anyway, I love the ideas on the new game! Keep 'em comin'! :)

cecilzero1
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by cecilzero1 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:44 am

Elrond wrote:@Aquanori - I think it actually is possible to be able to have that kind of research in Armada 2. If, in your example, the Federation captures the Scimitar, there could be an alternate techtree:

federation_pod_theleron.odf 1 rscimitar.odf
gswFTheleron.odf 1 federation_pod_theleron.odf

federation_pod_theleron: this pod could be built if the Scimitar was captured.

gswFTheleron.odf: The special weapon the Federation would be able to use if they built the above-listed pod.

With this, if you captured the Scimitar, you would be able to build a theleron radiation upgrade pod on some research station that you have. After building this, some ships could gain access to the Theleron weapon.

Heck, there is even another possibility: ships could build that pod to equip themselves with the weapon - the pod would have the theleron beam weapon on it. That would mean any ship you configured to use weapon pods could be made to use the theleron beam.

Anyway, I love the ideas on the new game! Keep 'em comin'! :)
hmm u given me an great idea thxs Elrond :)

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:43 am

I'm glad I was able to be of some help there :) I'm so glad I'm back into modding again! :)