Armada 3 Ideas

Talk here about any Star Trek Game you play.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

How much would you pay to have a community right to develop a sequel to "Star Trek: Armada 2"?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:41 pm

$25,000
40%
$50,000
10%
$75,000 or more
50%

Total votes: 10

STunique
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Game making in progress

Post by STunique » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:13 am

Actually, a game that you might call a sequel to Armada 2 (altought its not affliated with Armada in any way)iis in development. We have most of the team, we just need people to give ideas :)
So if anybody's interested, I'll be glad to give you a forum where we can all discuss about ideas

draconis_sharp
Ensign
Ensign

Post by draconis_sharp » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:23 am

About the sonar, I'm afraid sound does not travel through space.

I was thinking that the community here at AFC could set aside some webspace just for developing a game similar to what an A2 sequel might be. Of course, you couldn't call it Armada 3, but I think that shouldn't be a problem.

@STunique -

I've looked at your forums, but it doesn't really look like anything is happening besides idea swapping; of course, you have to start somewhere.

STunique
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by STunique » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:38 am

draconis_sharp wrote: @STunique -

I've looked at your forums, but it doesn't really look like anything is happening besides idea swapping; of course, you have to start somewhere.
Well, we need to make a complete game documentation first (all features in detail, what we need to make, etc.)
Anyway, new forum is: DELETED

STunique, I have requested that you do not post links to other forums. Please refrain from doing so!!! - Porty

STunique
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by STunique » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:23 pm

Sorry, Porty, I posted this before your warning in first post, but sorry anyway. I won't post nothing anymore.

shadow
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by shadow » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:18 pm

Just an other idea I got while reading this thread:

What about range? I mean the operational range of a star ship. There should be different ranges applied to different classes of starships.. For example a deep space explorer should be capable to operate further away from a starbase or planet that belongs to your “empire” than a cruiser that is meant for system defence or patrol duties.

So you would need forward bases or large supply ships before you could penetrate deep into enemy territory.
This would add also to game play I think, for example take a long range ship, start a sneak attack behind enemy lines on the supply ships or bases an cripple a whole fleet.

Would be a nice behaviour for a romulan AI I guess.

CptBenSisko
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CptBenSisko » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:28 pm

the thing is...that maps would have to be absolutely huge...like 100,000 x 100,000 or greater to simulate urs and enemy territory...and I think that each race should be able to call in allied help against an enemy..for example in my personal A2 mod...the Federation has a special base used exclusively for warping in allied Romulan and Klingon vessels...the Klingons will be able to warp in Romulan and Federation vessels and the Romulans will be able to warp in Klingon and Federation vessels but this feature will only be available to the player not to the AI so if ur playing Rom versus Fed AI the Fed doesn't warp in Romulans to fight against you. I think it would be a cool idea to implement.
Captain Benjamin Sisko of the U.S.S. Defiant

Numbazix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Numbazix » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:56 am

CptBenSisko wrote:the thing is...that maps would have to be absolutely huge...like 100,000 x 100,000 or greater to simulate urs and enemy territory...and I think that each race should be able to call in allied help against an enemy..for example in my personal A2 mod...the Federation has a special base used exclusively for warping in allied Romulan and Klingon vessels...the Klingons will be able to warp in Romulan and Federation vessels and the Romulans will be able to warp in Klingon and Federation vessels but this feature will only be available to the player not to the AI so if ur playing Rom versus Fed AI the Fed doesn't warp in Romulans to fight against you. I think it would be a cool idea to implement.
All good ideas. I agree that the maps would need to be huge. I also think X,Y,Z coords should be used. All of this could be accomplished with arrays and if/then x.y.z. coord gosub to location routines.
Zix
Master of all I survey--wheres my glasses?

Porty
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Porty » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:23 am

STunique wrote:Sorry, Porty, I posted this before your warning in first post, but sorry anyway. I won't post nothing anymore.
STunique, I am not saying you should not post about your project, please feel free to do so as it is good for the community.

All I am asking is that you do not post a link to your forum. As I suggested, if you post your email address instead then interested persons can contact you via that method!! :D

-mik-
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by -mik- » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:05 am

Just recently, I have been seriously considering on making an open-source Armada 3 sequel game with community input. I would of-course need a lot of help on models and such (the things I can't do, which is basically everything). I'll let you guys know more, when I finally decide.

--mik

Numbazix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Numbazix » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:14 am

Always in favor of open source :D .
Zix
Master of all I survey--wheres my glasses?

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:44 am

I'll add one or two ideas to this.

1) A trigger based map/mission editor similair to the one thats with starcraft.

2) A method of limiting the amount of constructable. This would be done in a similair manner to SFC. Basically you have a small text file which is created by the modder and goes by class name initially (i.e federation_sovereign_names.odf) and then have a selection of named vessels included in it (i.e "ENTERPRISEE", "sovereign") and heroes are chosen by uppercase names. Having this method above would then allow building of just two sovereign classes.

jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:36 pm

That's a very nice idea, espeically in a progressional story/mission mode.

mine:

1) Being able to target specific systems with weaponary of your choice. (I suppose like assinging a phaser to a different special wepaon, each one has a more percent chance of hitting and damaging a certain system).

2) Less build up time! It's called Armada for a reason! Not "Base Support".
Engage!

"A2 Files Site Admin...darn proud of it too!"

tarzanboy40
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by tarzanboy40 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:34 pm

how about destroyable planets,moons,etc.?

tomlinsona1
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by tomlinsona1 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:04 pm

how about ship development? so you start at the basic primitive ships, like the original constitution-class enterprise, and conduct research in wepons, propulsion etc. and then eventually wind your way up to the most advanced starships, like the soveregn and defient......

znite94
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by znite94 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:17 pm

I like the above Idea. In addition though:

A lot more ship classes should be included.

Also, the small overview map should look more like Starfleet sector maps: Starfleet logo for federation ships, Klingon logo for Klingon ships, Romulan logo for Romulan ships, and so on instead of just team colored dots. Maybe even class name or actual ship name under the logo. It deffinately would give it more of a Star Trek feel.
In a Galaxy where disorder reigns, there is the USS BLAZER