Starfleet Academy

Talk here about any Star Trek Game you play.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Starfleet Academy

Post by JPKTrekker » Mon May 23, 2005 5:16 pm

Does anyone here play Starfleet Academy? I play it as I prefer it for the first person mode for the space combat.
"Until Hell calls my name!"

Microsoft
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Microsoft » Mon May 23, 2005 6:44 pm

I've never played Starfleet Academy put I have played Klingon Academy and I didn't care for it to much. I thought the controls were hard to learn and it's hard to manage your ship.

Hellkite
Captain
Captain
Location: In a Valkrye-starfighter bringing hell to the enemies of the USS Midway because hell just wont wait

Post by Hellkite » Tue May 24, 2005 12:04 am

Microsoft wrote:... I thought the controls were hard to learn and it's hard to manage your ship.
Did you try try useing the joystick setting? It makes it real easy game to play and the learning cerve is not that bad at all

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Tue May 24, 2005 12:10 am

I never played Klingon Academy. I always thought the controls in Starfleet Academy were quite simple (c=cloak, alt=fire primary weapon (usually phasers), ctrl=fire secondary weapon (usually torpedoes), and the other controls are also pretty basic (a+r=red alert, a+y=yellow alert, and a+g=green alert)). Usually, I don't bother with the more complex controls such as targeting subsystems or hailing ships. I just play so that I can blow stuff up.

jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt » Tue May 24, 2005 3:58 am

Funny, I never got into playing SA, yet I thoroughly enjoyed KA, I even downloaded the recent 1.3 mod tha makes it so incredibly enjoyable. I thought teh controls for KA was easier than that of SA yet not easy enough to complete the game in one shot.

Blowing stuff upin KA was fun too, as I said, I think KA is better...

Elrond
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Elrond » Tue May 24, 2005 7:50 am

jolt wrote:Funny, I never got into playing SA, yet I thoroughly enjoyed KA, I even downloaded the recent 1.3 mod tha makes it so incredibly enjoyable. I thought teh controls for KA was easier than that of SA yet not easy enough to complete the game in one shot.

The only Star Trek games I have are Armada 1 and Armada 2. LOL. I'd love to try Starfleet Academy though.
Happy trails to you...except without the "till we meet again" part...

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Tue May 24, 2005 8:48 am

jolt wrote:Funny, I never got into playing SA, yet I thoroughly enjoyed KA, I even downloaded the recent 1.3 mod tha makes it so incredibly enjoyable. I thought teh controls for KA was easier than that of SA yet not easy enough to complete the game in one shot.

It is all a matter of opinion.

Draconia
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Draconia » Wed May 25, 2005 4:55 pm

Are you talking about the original Starfleet Academy or the add-on version?
I am the Dragon Queen of the Azure Skies. My graceful flight inspires awe in all who see it.

Microsoft
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Microsoft » Wed May 25, 2005 7:54 pm

I only gave KA a couple weeks...I'll probably try it again and give it a couple months to see if I like it...I will say one thing, I thought the graphics and textures were excellent.

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Wed May 25, 2005 11:30 pm

Draconia wrote:Are you talking about the original Starfleet Academy or the add-on version?
The original. Currently, I don't have a copy of the Add-On version.

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Wed May 25, 2005 11:37 pm

I have Star Trek: New Worlds it's fun... once you figure out what your doing. It's kinda like a C&C version of Star Trek, more so than Armada is because it takes place on the ground.
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Wed May 25, 2005 11:44 pm

Harrie wrote:I have Star Trek: New Worlds it's fun... once you figure out what your doing. It's kinda like a C&C version of Star Trek, more so than Armada is because it takes place on the ground.
I tried the demo, I never figured it out.

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Thu May 26, 2005 12:26 am

:) It took me about a month just to get the basic idea of what i was doing. and then a few more weeks to get the hang of game play.
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.

jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt » Thu May 26, 2005 5:46 am

There was one fundamental flaw with that game, and, that was the fact it had no offline instant action gameplay...

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Thu May 26, 2005 8:57 am

jolt wrote:There was one fundamental flaw with that game, and, that was the fact it had no offline instant action gameplay...
Starfleet Academy did have a skirmish mode.