Starfleet Academy

Talk here about any Star Trek Game you play.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Mon May 30, 2005 12:34 pm

We can only hope.
"Until Hell calls my name!"

Harrie
Commander
Commander

Post by Harrie » Mon May 30, 2005 5:13 pm

I have Starfleet academy but i just couldn't get into it after playing Bridge Commander.

BC is much easier to figure out and to play. Plus there are more modding options
The Roman Empire did not create prosperity and come to be feared by having meetings and doing paperwork; they did this by killing all who opposed them.

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Mon May 30, 2005 8:59 pm

I don't play Stafleet Academy for modding purposes, I play it because I consider it good clean fun (Plus, the A.I. is tough enough already and the only thing that would even need to be modded is the number of ships you can choose from in the skirmish mode).

Microsoft
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Microsoft » Mon May 30, 2005 9:30 pm

If you are looking to buy Starfleey Academy and live in the US check Amazon.com or Ebay.com. I know amazon has them for around $10 new. If you are going to buying it, make sure it comes with all 5 cds (I think that is how many cds it has). As for Klingon Academy it is quite hard to get it at a low price, I think I spent $25 on ebay for it and it was the lowest price for it. On Amazon it is around $40 or $50.

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Mon May 30, 2005 10:30 pm

Microsoft wrote:If you are looking to buy Starfleey Academy and live in the US check Amazon.com or Ebay.com. I know amazon has them for around $10 new. If you are going to buying it, make sure it comes with all 5 cds (I think that is how many cds it has). As for Klingon Academy it is quite hard to get it at a low price, I think I spent $25 on ebay for it and it was the lowest price for it. On Amazon it is around $40 or $50.
Thanks. Now I know where to go if I want to buy a Windows version.

Alex9337
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Alex9337 » Tue May 31, 2005 7:27 pm

Yes, oops, my mistake, it was, indeed, Starfleet Command III.

And I do think it's great fun! :D

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:01 pm

Enrol in Starfleet Academy as Cadet David Foster and command Oberth, Miranda, Constitution and Excelsior class starships in 18 simulated missions with an integrated interactive simulated storyline. Make decisions and face the consequences of your actions and face off against alien races such as the Klingons, Romulans and Gorn. Includes multiplayer modes such team versus team or play as pirate undertaking various missions to acquire profit. Features acting from William Shatner (Captain Kirk), George Takei (Captain Sulu) and Walter Koenig (Commander Chekov).

jolt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jolt » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:57 pm

I don't understand how KA could haven been made soo much better having been made so shortly afterwards. 25 missions going up from controlling a Bird of Prey, upto a dreadnaught whilst on the way being in control of the prototype BoP (to all those who don't know or have forgotten ST6, it can fire whilst cloaked!).

Then there's also the varied missions. Freighter patrol, scanning systems, full scale battles, planetary bombardment and there's one mission where you must guard a freighter holding a modified genesis device to destroy Earth whilst taking on the Excelsior AND the Enterprise!

Plus you've got to look at the grpahics which are far superior. And the choice of ships, with over 35 ships to chose from, its highly impressive!

JPKTrekker
Captain
Captain

Post by JPKTrekker » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:03 pm

Then there is the add-on(?) to Starfleet Academy.

The-Great-White-Fro
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by The-Great-White-Fro » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:32 pm

Harrie wrote: BC is much easier to figure out and to play. Plus there are more modding options
Yeah, like the MOD FBCMP. That rocks. SF plays it all the time as i am the BC Division CO, and im 104-13 with the Nova MkII
"Cry Havoc, and let slip the dogs of war." -Mark Antony, Julius Caeser, Act II , scene iii

Current Commander of the Nova Class, USS Mosquito in the BC mod FBCMP

phasertech
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by phasertech » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:00 am

sfa was a really good game in it's time, but it's aged now, and as far as i know, it's unmoddable.
set a course for the battlefront. maximum warp.
(Captain Tom Bouwman of the USS Midway NCC-22213)

Atlantis
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Atlantis » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:42 am

StarFleet Academy is moddable. It's just that when mods were made, they were made by clans, who didn't release it to anyone else.

SFA does have some things which BC doesnt.... planets that rotate and move in orbit around their sun. Ability to go places at impulse (as opposed to warp), but it takes a LOOONG time just to get from Onyx I to Onyx II (As it should be).