Play Armada 1 on Vista computer?

Talk here about any Star Trek Game you play.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

CaptainZ
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Play Armada 1 on Vista computer?

Post by CaptainZ » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:17 pm

I just got a copy of Star Trek: Armada 1 and I want to play it on my new Toshiba Satellite M305D-S4829 computer, running Vista.

I know my computer is powerful enough but I can't get the game to play. Is there a patch I can download or can someone explain how to get it to run in a few simple steps? I have near zero techical skill with computers. My laptop runs at 2 gHz and has 4 GB memory and has plenty of hard drive space. Graphics card is an ATI Radeon 3100.

I have Star Trek fever right now due to the new movie coming out and I'd really like to play this game! Thanks for any help!

CaptainZ

AFC
Site Founder
Site Founder

Post by AFC » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:58 pm

make sure compatability is set for xp sp2 and no problems. even with my space package in it and trust me that a big change.

CaptainZ
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by CaptainZ » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:49 pm

AFC wrote:make sure compatability is set for xp sp2 and no problems. even with my space package in it and trust me that a big change.
I've patched the game and tried both XP and Windows 98 compatibility modes but the game still does not run. It messes up the screen then freezes up the computer.

Does anyone have any further suggestions?

AFC
Site Founder
Site Founder

Post by AFC » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:32 pm

shoot vista and go install xp, check ebay i found everything i needed to install xp on new laptop. get a warez copy of xp, i hate vista anyways

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:50 pm

Mav. Mentioning warez on the forum. Thats a no-no even you should know that. After all. You did make the forum rules!!

That being said I totally agree with you.

VISTA SUCKS butt BIG TIME!!

CaptainZ
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by CaptainZ » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:14 pm

I know Vista is unpopular but I haven't really had to many problems with it. I'm don't think it would be wise to change operating systems just so that I can play a game.

Still, I'd really like to play Star Trek: Armada 1. If anyone has any other ideas I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

CaptainZ
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by CaptainZ » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:52 am

I can only get to the start up screen. When I tell the game to play it does one of two things depending on what compatibility mode I set.

One thing it does is give an immediate message that says it can't run and that I need to check to make sure that there is 50MB free hard drive space (which there is) and to make sure that virtual memory is not turned off (I'm pretty sure virtual memory is being managed by Vista, but I don't think it's off - I don't really even understand what virtual memory is to tell the truth).

The other thing is does, and this is when I set compatibility to Windows 95/98 mode (which is what the game box says is the correct operating system for Armada 1), it that the screen resolution greatly decreases and the screen flickers black several times, then the computer freezes up.

So I really haven't gotten the game to run at all so far.

Thank you very much for your willingness to try to help me find a solution to this problem.

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:56 am

I recall people had problems starting the game if their windows account name was too long. Either that or the install directory name was too long. I just ran a quick search of the forums, but haven't found the exact topic.

Try reducing the length of your user name in windows. Seems like an odd thing to cause a crash, but I've seen this cause problems. Anyone know or remember what I'm talking about?

pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pepperman » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:37 pm

Weldon over at a2 files has a little tutorial that may offer up some ideas for you to try. While it was written with A2 in mind, some of the concepts are worth trying.

http://armada2.filefront.com/file/A2_MS ... book;96608\

and yes, Vista suck eggs big time

StickDeath
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by StickDeath » Mon May 18, 2009 3:31 pm

i have xp, and when i run armada, on it, the textures like to be stretched out, and when ever i move the mouses, my screen flickers. i have a Nvidia 8500GTX, 1.5 gigs of ram, and a 3.0 processor, can anyone help me?
[img]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9991/stickdeathjo6.gif[/img]

MrVulcan
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral

Post by MrVulcan » Mon May 18, 2009 4:02 pm

StickDeath, see my post on graphics hardware acceleration. Reducing hardware acceleration might help here.

pepperman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pepperman » Mon May 18, 2009 4:42 pm

See the last post in this thread as it may help as well

http://forums.filefront.com/st-a2-probl ... lem-4.html

hms_custody
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Heloooo

Post by hms_custody » Mon May 18, 2009 7:33 pm

LONG LIVE XP vista suckssssssssss big time the only games that work on vista is elite force 1 &2 wich im loving btw elite force is way better then 1 man its bin ages since i been ere nothing has changed by the looks of it..

StickDeath
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by StickDeath » Mon May 18, 2009 11:47 pm

i have tried both of those suggestions and neither of them worked, they ship, and planet textures were still streched, and the screen still flickered whenever i moved my mouse. any other suggestions?
[img]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9991/stickdeathjo6.gif[/img]