HELP Armada II, kmining Station Problem, Back-up 1 crashes 2

Talk here about any Star Trek Game you play.

Moderators: MrVulcan, thunderchero

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

HELP Armada II, kmining Station Problem, Back-up 1 crashes 2

Post by jetnova16 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:04 am

I am having trouble with a replacement Klingon Dilithium Mining Station that I got off of Armada2files.com. The mod's creator failed to leave any contact information in his Read-Me and also there on the mods page there was reports of just plain regular crashings. I thought it had to do with some problems that I found in the ODF file that I fixed, the creator had lots of "X" for hitpoints and other information. That has turned out to not be the case.

Here is the information on my Random Crashings Log's sheet about the problem:

6/29/2010 – Klingons – This is not a Random Crash but a true issue it seems. I installed a replacement for the Klingon Dilithium Mining Station that I got from Armada2files.com. Well the model crashes my game and I checked for errors in the files and found none, the game still crashed so I replaced the model with the original Klingon Dilithium Station and the game is now still crashing. I replaced the textures and it still crashes, I replaced the SOD and ODF files and the game still crashes. I even tried switching the Klingon Dilithium Station to that of the Federation and the game still crashes. This Dilithium mining Station’s Read-Me file has no creators name or contact information to get a hold of him or her. Being banned from Armada2files.com means that I can’t even go back to the page where I got the mod to actually report the error I am having with it and what even replacing and reverting to the old model had caused. Can anyone please help me with this because even using my back-ups of the station is creating the same problem.

Here is the Read-Me that I have mentioned too:

b_kmining gbkmining 0 0 64 64

kminingw1 kminingwf 0 0 128 128
kminingw2 kminingwf 0 0 128 128
kminingw3 kminingwf 0 0 128 128
kminingw4 kminingwf 0 0 128 128
kminingw5 kminingwf 0 0 128 128

This station just replaces the stock klingon mining station for those that are getting
tired of the same old station that we've had since Armada 1. I like the klingons and
this station is the result of my "doodling" one day in milkshape. I thought it would make
a pretty cool looking refinery.

The texture file is from the Project Armada that was for SFC series. The textures
are originally from Armada 2, but they have been enhanced by Darkdrone. This
particular texture file was for the Klingon Starbase.

Model: Operative34997
Texture Enhancement: Darkdrone
Original Texture: Maddoc

Surma
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Surma » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:33 pm

1. Did you restore any changes to the gui_global and similar?

Link to the mod, i can check it.

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:10 pm

I restored all the original files including textures and replaced the Gui_global files and the techtree too.

I would really like to post a link to the mod, but its on www.armada2files.com and they banned me there and on the forums at File Front when I'm only looking for help with things like this. I can't even get to the mods link because they banned my IP Address at my friend's house and now none of the people here can get online to File Front or any other game that we play that they hold files for. All I can tell you is to search for Klingon Dilithium Refinery or kmining.

Sorry, I can't be any further assistance in showing the mod, but I can't even post its BMP Picture.

Zman
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Zman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:31 pm

Post edited - Major A Payne
My Games:
NR2K3(750+ tracks;5000+ cars)
ST:BC(latest KM-custom) ST:Legacy(custom)
ST:Armada(custom) ST:Armada2(custom)
ST:FO(latest version)
SW:EAW(custom) SW:FOC(custom)
TF2: Name - 086gf

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:52 pm

Okay. Thats enough. I personally don't care about Jetnova and his past problems on filefront but they will not be posted or brought onto this forum in any way shape or form. Until such time as he does cause problems here members here will refrain from posting anything about this.

.....and that goes for EVERYONE here.

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:10 pm

MajorPayne wrote:Okay. Thats enough. I personally don't care about Jetnova and his past problems on filefront but they will not be posted or brought onto this forum in any way shape or form. Until such time as he does cause problems here members here will refrain from posting anything about this.

.....and that goes for EVERYONE here.
Thank you Major Payne. And I will try to do my best here. I just want to get my Armada II game running smoothly as it did unmodded but this time only modded. I would appreciate any help anyone is willing to give. I'm even willing to upload my install as a zip for people to take a look at.

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:49 pm

jetnova. In my own modding experience I've always done my modding in one way - Slowly but surely. I always work one race at a time and always keep my current working mod on my desktop and a couple of backups elsewhere.

Now to your current problem. Looking at the information you've provided I would hazard a guess that there may have been a hardpoint problem on the model itself. Generally speaking if a hardpoint is incorrectly named in the model file then it will cause a crash (I've had this happen on several occasions with models I've directly converted or used from a 3rd party). When you replaced the original station did you delete the new ODF file so the game could reuse the stock one??

The thing is if your using a new model which doesnt use the exact same hardpoint layout then it will crash the game, even if the original modder provides an ODF with it.

If you can't sort this kind of error out then its a good bet you may have to start of with a clean install.

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:35 pm

I think I'm modding slowly, I put one mod in the game and test it. Then move on, the only one I can't solve is the "random crashings". All I keep noticing is that it happens at different times. Then the Klingon Dilithium Refinery started making all mining stations crash the moment they were all built no matter what race it belongs too.

I have come up with a document to report all the crashing errors that I have been having so I can try to locate any trends. So far there hasn't been any luck with that plan. Here is a copy of what I have so far:

Random Crashings Log:
DATE: Races Involved: What Happens Before Crash:
Prior Crashes involved the Dominion, the Remans, the Federation, the Romulans, the Cardassians, actually all races in the game, except Species 8472, I happen to have made them unplayable since I don’t like using them. They first appeared to happen during Heavy Combat situations then after that the game crashed when one of my construction ships went to warp.
6/29/2010 – Federation vs. Romulans My Premonition Class was attacking the Colonized Romulan Planet.
6/29/2010 – Klingons vs. Romulans My Klingons were building an Ent. Era BOP, one built already no crash at that time. There had to be something the Romulan AI did or built.
6/29/2010 Klingons vs. Romulans I was trying to use the map editor, (CTRL +A) and then the game crashed. I added “Kruge” in as a named ship. Checked the file and found no errors and so restarted the game and went to the map editor and tried again, no crash until I clicked on the part of the map that had the Romulan’s base. Then the game crashed. I tried the Map Editor a third time and without any crashing what so ever from it. I added Kruge’s ship but its sound files didn’t work even though they were in the Events file. I went to the Romulans’ base and added Reman Scimitar class ships and hoped they’d be given to the Romulans but they were under my control. I don’t know how to switch them to Team 2. The game only crashed after the Klingons won with the game crashing at the Admiral’s Log screen.
6/29/2010 – Klingons – This is not a Random Crash but a true issue it seems. I installed a replacement for the Klingon Dilithium Mining Station that I got from Armada2files.com. Well the model crashes my game and I checked for errors in the files and found none, the game still crashed so I replaced the model with the original Klingon Dilithium Station and the game is now still crashing. I replaced the textures and it still crashes, I replaced the SOD and ODF files and the game still crashes. I even tried switching the Klingon Dilithium Station to that of the Federation and the game still crashes. This Dilithium mining Station’s Read-Me file has no creators name or contact information to get a hold of him or her. Being banned from Armada2files.com means that I can’t even go back to the page where I got the mod to actually report the error I am having with it and what even replacing and reverting to the old model had caused. Can anyone please help me with this because even using my back-ups of the station is creating the same problem. This problem is now affecting the Mining Stations of all the races that are in the game, I can’t even build a mining station nor can the AI without the game crashing. Now this is the strangest part of this whole problem, the station can be built just fine in the Federation Campaign without the game crashing but it continues to crash in Instant Action no matter what race is being played, the AI isn’t even immune from the crash.
6/30/2010 – I just want to say that I have started to add ships and stations to my game that come from two complete mods, Art of War and Borg Incursion 2. I have tried to set aside the complete textures and correct files that are needed for the ships and stations that I’ve selected to appear and work correctly in game. I have done this type of modding before with a few ships and found I can do it easily. I can only hope that this will actually turn out good in this Personal Mod Project. I have decided to do this part of my project early since the other crashing errors are occurring since a few of these units are to be starting units I’ll be able to know if they have their own crashing problems and other errors. No matter what, even replacing the Dilithium Mining Station with one from another Full mod like Art of War, the game still crashes for some reason.

Surma
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Surma » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:55 am

Well, since its this screwed up i recommend a clean install. This sort of behaviour COULD occur due to some really weird incompatibility between different mods (happens when you have many mods). It could be something you did wrong when you installed this mod, or something earlier that for some reason only shows up now. Though it is really weird, i agree... I need to think...

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:03 pm

I want to report something new on the Mining Station Crashing problem, I may have reported this already but I'm not fully sure. The stations for mining can be built in the campaign missions without crashing the game, it only happens in Instant Action. Even the mining stations that are already in the game don't cause a loading crashing, I mean like the stations that appear for the Federation in the second campaign mission, Lifelines.

Is there seperate files that govereign boththe campaign and Instant Action? Either way, I've still found that the game crashes during heavy combat situations. I found this out by creating a small in campaign test. I added 6 Sovereign class and 6 Galaxy class ships at tbe Borg base through the Map Editor (CTRL + A) well playing the game and after I returned to the game, the battles began then the game crashed. This might have something to do with the increased HP points and Sheid/Health increase I gave the Borg, because I did the same stats increase to some Dominion ships and then the game started to "randonly crash" during combat situations and once when going to warp, plus there is that one time when trying t ouse the Map Editor.

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:32 am

I'm not sure who might want to see these, but these are part of my online back-up on megaupload, this is an extra back-up I decided to do just in case something happened with my External Hard Drive with its back-ups. What I'm saying is that this is a downloadable back-up of my Armada II install created today and if you download it following the addresses below, you can see what crashing errors I'm talking about in my game and also the Klingon Dilithium Refinery (kmining) that I had installed then ended up restoring with the stock version.

Star Trek Armada II Install - 7/2/2010

Link removed - Major A Payne

Klingon Dilithium Refinery (kmining)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P6CRB2WV

If you use these files please let me know what you find. Now that I have posted these links, in about 2 weeks I will delete from this site my own personla back-up on Megaupload. I have only posted this for you to see what is happening and to ask for help. Thank you.

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:17 am

Jetnova. I suggest you read the rules regarding the posting of links:

https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/afc/m ... 96db859d78

However, I will draw your attention to this section below and in particular the part in BOLD type:
Extended Rules on Advertizing (Added 2006-09-10)
- Posting Links to other forums is against the rules, unless discussed with a member of the staff (who should then leave a comment indicating that this was agreed to).
- Hotlinking to other sites' image files directly is also frowned upon unless that site specifically allows it (ie, photobucket and image shack).
- ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS TO ANYTHING ILLEGAL Those posting such links to such content will be PERMANENTLY banned.
- One exception to the forum links rules: As there are sub-forums for mods, if they post any link to their own forum within THIS forum then it will be allowed.
- Other than the above, links are generally checked and if are found to be suspicious they are removed or editted out of the members' post, the member receiving a stern warning.
Now by rights I am fully in my right to place you under a permanent ban (as indicated by the owner of this forum). However, as this is your first offence on this forum I will issue a public warning only. If it happens once more, and I do mean ONCE more, then you can consider your account as under a complete ban.

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:50 am

How is it illegal to post a back-up on a site that I'm a member of? Its the only way to ask for help because how can anyone but the person exsperiencing te errors perfectly describe them? After all, seeing is believing and its easier to not believe what you read.

So why would you remove one link but not them both? I did ask for permission from Activison if I can post my back-up on Megaupload and I have been told that I can but if I share the link to delete it in a timely manner. I also got permission from Pocket Books and Paramount to rewrite parts of the canon books in Trek to also fit what is heard onscreen just so parts can slightly fix my unfolding story. There is a chance I can get it published. I am not in any Copyright regulations here.

I'm sorry to have affended you by posting the link but I wouldn't have done it without strict written permission which I have in letter form.

MajorPayne
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by MajorPayne » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:50 am

The bottom line here is that Kevin Hurley (a.k.a AFC) owns this forum and website. He has posted the rules which are quite plainly read and are non-nagotiable. Activision do not and have never owned this website or forum and therefore do not have any say as to what can and cannot be posted.

Now even though I do not, under any circumstances have to provide any reason from removal of the one link and not the other I'll draw your attention to the fact that the main megaupload link you provided contained a complete installation of Armada 2 which no doubt has a cracked executable. This is, in itself is illegal to provide and no amount of reasons from you will tell me otherwise. Also take note. Activision no-longer hold any kind of licence to trek based materials and I'm sure Paramount (who own the trek IP) and Mad Doc Software (who were the developement team behind Armada 2 itself) would think differently. I am extremely curious if megaupload are aware of the full contents of the zip you uploaded and what they might be inclined to do if they were unaware of the fact.

As far as I, AFC are concerned what you posted was a straight breach of this forums rules. Plain and simple.

On a final note. You have little need to appologise to me as you wouldn't have offended anyone. As head administrator of this forum/site its my duty as staff to uphold the rules which the forum/website owner has put in place.

jetnova16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jetnova16 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:22 am

For the record, the full version of A2 on megaupload is my recent back-up and I stated earlier and also if anyone actually tried it they would notice that they would need the CD in order to even use it. I don't have and don't use any CD cracks for any games because they are illegal to use, knowing that I wasn't posting a cracked version of the game and knowing the rules of the forums here
- ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS TO ANYTHING ILLEGAL Those posting such links to such content will be PERMANENTLY banned.
so I followed the rules precisely and didn't post anything that would really be illegal because only CD cracks are illegal but it isn't illegal to have an online backup of a game or saved files on an online file hosting site especially when its under your own account. In a few words, I didn't believe that the link I posted was in any violation of any of the rules here since it wasn't an illegally created install of the game and required the CD disc to even use.

I don't really want to talk about this anymore except I would appreciate it if someone would try to help me out with the issues in my game especially the crashings. Maybe someone could even try the Klingon Dilithium Refinery by copying their Armada II install and adding it in and seeing what happens. Please?